Can't book anything online

james1995

I cant' even remember the last time I was able to purchase something online when in Thailand or buying anything online like plane tickets.  All the airline sites reject my credit card. Is there a way to get around this?  I have now resorted to buying plane tickets at the 7-11 because the credit card NEVER works online.  Cash is king I guess.

First, what you have is a credit card or is it an ATM Card with a visa logo?

Because many confused about credit cards, as many foreigners in Thailand have an ATM Card, which is similar to the EC card in Europe, and not a credit card.

If you only have an ATM card, check when you have Online-Banking, if there is an option for an virtual credit card, which is usable for online purchases.

• Like 2

Call or visit your bank, and ask why. My Thai and foreign credit cards work just fine when making purchases, buying plane tickets and making hotel reservations here. Depending on what country your card was issued from, it may be blocked for use in other countries, a call to the bank that issued the card can easily unblock the card for use in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Have you ever actually talked to Thai bank staff?

Actually I have.

I was going on a trip not long ago and used an ATM machine (in Pattaya) that I haven't used before. 2 days later I'm in Isaan and realized that I'd left my card in the machine. 

I called the bank and the very helpful clerk confirmed my identity and then cancelled the card and gave me my current balance so I could tell if any withdrawals had been made.

Took all of maybe 5 minutes. Got home, went to my local branch (a small office in Nong Prue), signed some papers and had a new ATM card within a few minutes.
All in all it went really smooth.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Is this a Thai card or a foreign one?

My Thai card had to be specifically activated for online use, and the limit altered from zero, before it would work online. All done by me on a website that wasnt even the main bank website, and it took me several days to find out that it was necessary as it was not something that I had ever come across before or was expecting.

Never had any trouble with my UK cards though.

I done exactly the same two days back at my local scb.

Had my debit card for almost 10 years and had never made an online purhase in Thailand.I did try however four nights back and it got rejected.

Looked online where I was able to activate my card for online shopping,tried to activate it,message came back you need to go to the bank and get a new card.Next day at the bank,upon producing my passport,I was issued with a new card which I wasn't charged for,or maybe that will be debited at a later date.

3 things to note.There appears to be a much higher daily withdrawal limit,my wife says up to 500,000 a day,but I can't see that myself.

Second, is the card is now only valid for 5 instead of 10 years.

Third,you now have to create a 6 instead of 4 pin number.

Yes works fine now for worldwide online shopping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

this is clearly a sign that you have not activated your card correctly. Mine k debit card works for several airlines including emirates, china air, nok air, kayak and booking.com. Also works for ebay and aliexpress. 

It's activated properly.  Try Orbitz, Expedia, etc.  Kayak's hit and miss because they don't actually book flights, they refer you to a site that does, and take a cut.  If they refer you to a site that takes the card, it's all good.  But I get tired of spending 15 minutes selecting and booking a flight, then hit that brick wall when they don't accept Thai debit cards.

Mine also works on China Air, but I want to see the range of flights by different airlines- not just China Air. 

Emirates, et. al, don't fly where I travel- mostly BKK, KUL and China.

Edited by impulse

All my Thai, US and Dutch cards work fine. The only limitation is not being able to purchase tickets for someone who I’m not flying with. 

I’d ask your bank why you’re getting the declines. 

Whenever I have had an issue, it has been with the card issuer (bank-fraud protection) not the thai merchant or vendor. Normally, no problems Air Asia, Thai Airways, Grab and as another poster mentioned, Lazada has always been a very positive experience on price, delivery and returns. 

4 hours ago, HampiK said:

First, what you have is a credit card or is it an ATM Card with a visa logo?

Because many confused about credit cards, as many foreigners in Thailand have an ATM Card, which is similar to the EC card in Europe, and not a credit card.

If you only have an ATM card, check when you have Online-Banking, if there is an option for an virtual credit card, which is usable for online purchases.

Kaskikon Bank have that and I connect it with PayPal and it works seamlessly.  But check with your bank it can be blocked to use outside the country and the Bank need to unlock it to the country you want to use it, many Bank has that today for safety.  Talk to your Bank.

Edited by hellstens

Never had a problem using any Thai issued credit card for any credit card purchases in 20 years, either online (I buy all my Thai Airways tickets online, and make all hotel bookings online), or in retail, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, or wherever in multiple countries.

Yes, talk to your bank, but not at a branch (they tend to NOT have English speakers, possibly by policy since perhaps the cost does not justify the volume of business conducted in English language...counter staff salary is a pittance), but to their customer service numbers, and select English as the language. I've always found them very professional and helpful, on a par with any country. If you then need to visit the branch for any reason, if necessary simply have the customer service agent on the your phone with you at the counter, or else the agent at the counter can call them directly to assist with language.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Have you ever actually talked to Thai bank staff?

Its a bit like talking to Manuel from Faulty Towers.

Si Si. Mr. Basil.

And a lot of head nodding. 

I went to Kasikorn on Klang because i was being charged every time I deposited. 

They said need letter from Jomtien immigration to change address. 

300 baht.

Did it. 

Nothing changed.

Actually need to close the account and re open it in Pattaya. 

I get charged because it is a Buriram account. 

And pay again for a new access card.

* Interesting that my partner has a Kasikorn Bank account and her card gives her mega discounts and offers, plus some health benefits. 

She pays 800 baht for her atm card. 

But we are still no wiser about what she gets. 

And why the bank pushed that card onto her...

I had problems using my Kasikorn debit card online but after a visit to my branch I learned that it needed to have that facility activated first - apparently there are several levels of activation.

However,  if I book and pay online with Etihad Airways for example, it works fine but if I book over the phone with them, as I have to do if I'm paying partially with reward miles, the card is rejected.  Etihad say the problem is with Kasikorn, Kasikorn say the problem is with Etihad's security.  I give up and pay with my UK debit card. I don't see the problem - both cards are Visa.

I have had problems in the past with booking airline tickets with my bank visa card.The transaction prompt was for my 'visa verification'password..I eventually put one in place and now I only get a request for it usually on transactions over a grand on long haul ticket purchases.It is a safe guard against visa card fraud and so I would also consider rthis as a backup as well!

Cash is king? Ha, guess you've never been to China, where everybody pays with their smartphone. If booking flights with any Expedia, CheapoAir, etc., I've never had a problem with US cards, always glitches on Thai websites...

I use various credit  and debit cards online all the time.

Like others have mentioned, you need to make sure that the card provider is aware you are using the cards say in "Thailand" and that you want to use online and what limit, then never a problem.

It's all about your card security / online theft etc.

16 hours ago, yankee99 said:

this is clearly a sign that you have not activated your card correctly. Mine k debit card works for several airlines including emirates, china air, nok air, kayak and booking.com. Also works for ebay and aliexpress. 

And my kbank debitcard works everywhere. So go to the atm and activate it