Unemployment in Thailand: stats and facts

Brunolem

According to the official stats, the unemployment rate in Thailand has been hovering around 2% for years.

Quite an achievement, since 5% unemployment is generally considered as full employment, and below that figure, the economy may be overheating.

For comparison, the highly trump-ed up American stats show an unemployment rate around 4%, only achieved after booting out of the workforce almost one hundred million working age people!

Yet, Thailand wouldn't resort to tricks like that, would it?

A couple of years ago, I was talking with a Thai businessman in Bangkok.

It was a week day, in the middle of the afternoon, and at some point I told him something like that:

"Look, you see all these traffic jams...they go on all day...how is that possible?...what are these people doing? How can they afford to spend hours in the middle of the afternoon waiting in their cars?...in Europe, we have peak hours, in the early morning, and in the evening, when traffic is terrible, but in the middle of the afternoon, driving is easy, because people are at work".

The Thai businessman had no answer.

Are these people stuck in traffic jams, day after day, employed...to drive for the sake of it?

And it doesn't stop with traffic.

If you go at any hour of the day to the post office, administrations, banks and so on, you have to wait in line, often for a very long times, and the people in front of you are not retirees!

Maybe the Thai employers are very staff friendly, granting their employees whatever time they need to go about their private business during working hours, because in a 2% unemployment economy, everybody works!

Comparatively, you see much less non-retirees out during working hours in European countries, despite their 10% average unemployment rate, than in Thailand with its 2% rate.

How come?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

For comparison, the highly trump-ed up American stats show an unemployment rate around 4%, only achieved after booting out of the workforce almost one hundred million working age people!

I liked your post for the most part, but it's a pity you spoiled it with a shot at Trump. Enough already. We don't all live in the US, you know... and opinions on Trump differ.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Maybe you should go out more at different times ?

Bangkok just has millions of people, so it's always busy.

Bangkok has rush hours, yes in the middle of Bangkok is always traffic jam, but in the rush hours it's much worse. Between about 7:00 and 10:00 and 16:00 and 20:00 the traffic is much worse than at other times.

Yes, there are always people in the banks, but if you go in the lunch break or after people finish work there are much more people than at other times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I liked your post for the most part, but it's a pity you spoiled it with a shot at Trump. Enough already. We don't all live in the US, you know... and opinions on Trump differ.

I am not American, but I couldn't resist the joke, even though we know very well that the stats were already...trumped up...under Obama...

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I am not American, but I couldn't resist the joke, even though we know very well that the stats were already...trumped up...under Obama...

We don't all know that, and most of us (non-Americans) don't care. I certainly don't waste my time examining US unemployment figures.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Maybe you should go out more at different times ?

Bangkok just has millions of people, so it's always busy.

Bangkok has rush hours, yes in the middle of Bangkok is always traffic jam, but in the rush hours it's much worse. Between about 7:00 and 10:00 and 16:00 and 20:00 the traffic is much worse than at other times.

Yes, there are always people in the banks, but if you go in the lunch break or after people finish work there are much more people than at other times.

I won't argue on the levels of traffic jams in Bangkok, yet I can say that everytime I go back to Paris, I am amazed by the little traffic, during working hours, compared to Bangkok.

And I don't think it is because Bangkok has a far greater economic activity, with more self-employed people, than Paris!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

And the other 38% work in Homepro, Global House and similar stores.

I think in the 60% you could throw in the hammock sleepers. Takes a bit of skill to sleep in a hammock during the day considering the heat and traffic noise.Not an easy job you know

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

I think in the 60% you could throw in the hammock sleepers. Takes a bit of skill to sleep in a hammock during the day considering the heat and traffic noise.Not an easy job you know

? not really Global House etc etc have air-con, I asked a young lady at the reception area a long way back why are there so many employees, she explained each item or items have one or more people working for them, I guess that explains maybe the Thai way of employment.

My only concern is the Chang girls are going to be stopped from promotion work, very sad miserable decision in my book.

BTW: Every country has their "own way" to figure out unemployment.  If there is no financial government support for people who are unemployed (such as the social services provided in the Western countries) everyone is out trying to make some baht to put food on the table. In Thailand this is no exception.

Count the high (and mostly not busy) workforce at any retail store, restaurant, supermarket etc. plus taxi and motorcycle drivers and you see why there is no unemployment.

In western countries that workforce would be halved or only one quarter and still not hard or busy work.

Why is a 7-11 branch constantly manned with 4 to 5 people 24/7 when there are only two cash desks?

Why there are so many taxis in Bangkok who cause traffic congestion and minimise the rate of passengers per drive per day?

As per the linked article, the official unemployment rate here really doesn't represent the true unemployment rate, it can't, where do unemployed Thai's from Nakhom Nowhere, or Bangkok for that matter register as unemployed?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aupee said:

Has anyone been in a mega home shop during the week the staff out number the customers.but at week ends its just a little easier to look at some thing without being jumped on ot buy it. There may not be an  unemployment problem but thereis no comfort in browsing and choosing a product in a shop. Home pro staff told me I wouldn't get a warranty with a panasonic shower butt would with some brand I'd never heard of.I went to Tesco and got the same panasonic with 5 yr warranty and a couple of hundred bahts cheaper and I wasn't followed like Mary's little lambI don't love Tesco but at least I wasn't lied to  by an over staffing, and pressure to buy.

You are right. I try and stay away from Home-Pro because i hate being rushed. I like to look at myself but you get staff that follows you. Truth it makes me nervous like you feel you have t buy it. Everywhere you look there are staff standing there  playing with their Mobile phones I wonder if Home Pro would hire all these staffs if wages were higher

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

You are right. I try and stay away from Home-Pro because i hate being rushed. I like to look at myself but you get staff that follows you. Truth it makes me nervous like you feel you have t buy it. Everywhere you look there are staff standing there  playing with their Mobile phones I wonder if Home Pro would hire all these staffs if wages were higher

And what about AIS?

You go into one of their outlets to pay your bill and you are welcome by enough staff to organize a rugby game, except that this staff is 99% female.

Yet, despite the large number of employees, you still have to wait in line, because only one or two of them are actually working behind a counter doing something useful...the others are merely here for decoration...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

And what about AIS?

You go into one of their outlets to pay your bill and you are welcome by enough staff to organize a rugby game, except that this staff is 99% female.

Yet, despite the large number of employees, you still have to wait in line, because only one or two of them are actually working behind a counter doing something useful...the others are merely here for decoration...

Might join AIS lol

On 6/26/2018 at 3:31 PM, Mattd said:

As per the linked article, the official unemployment rate here really doesn't represent the true unemployment rate, it can't, where do unemployed Thai's from Nakhom Nowhere, or Bangkok for that matter register as unemployed?

Thai's can register at the unemployment offices in their Amphur where they will be eligible for support payments providing they meet very strict criteria. One of those criteria is that they MUST accept any job offered to them and if they don't they become ineligible for support payments - in practice, support payments are almost never made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

This is indeed correct, however, 90% just do not bother, a good example is my ex. wife's family, her two sisters had 5 boys between them, none of these got past the age of 13 at school, none of them have ever worked or even make any attempt to work, not claiming anything etc. I would imagine that is likely to be representative of a good percentage of Issan, where the unemployment is probably reasonably high, though due to no other reason than not particularly wanting to work.

How much are the support payments? If it's too low a lot won't bother, especially if there's a whole heap of running back and forth with paper work and waiting in long ques.