My experiences with Thai Police

Grumpy Old Man

As both a Scooter rider and car driver I have been stopped by police while on my bike more times then I could mention.

Always polite and after a check on licence sent on my way with a smile.

During the year following the passing on of the late Head of State I wore a badge the Thai 9, given by Thai friends, more that once when they saw this I was waved on without stopping and usually a polite nod of the head or even a salute on a couple of occasions.

Never been stopped in my car apart from the time I went through a Red Light.

B400 fine and good laugh down the Police station when reliving me of my Baht.

john

Edited by jonwilly
Spelling
  • Like 2

The OP must either be very unlucky or very suspicious. I ve been in Chiang Mai 13 years ( and yes, in answer to another poster I do get around quite a bit!). Apart from the frequent checks you get in different towns if you travel during Songkran, I would estimate that I ve been stopped no more than five times in thirteen years.

I drive confidently but safe, I drive politely despite provocation from crap drivers, an I live a normal healthy life.

The OP had to effectively bail his pal out of jail at 7am. These days thats the classic drink driving scenario. I guess if you live that kind of life youre kind of asking for it! Not the OP I know, but I also havent had any of my friends banged up because I keep good law abiding friends!

• Like 2

I've been stopped numerous times at check points over the years. Every time the cops fined me I had done something wrong. All other times I get thanked for cooperating and get to go on my merry way. So, no gripes here. Few too many check points perhaps, but then there's a lot of wrongdoers, so it's probably a good thing. Not that check points seem to be much of a deterrent for bad driving. Still, they have forced more folks to wear motorcycle helmets from 9am to 3pm, though, so that's a good thing.  

Stubby

• Like 2

In CM, always been waved through in car. Got a clamp once for parking at 4pm in a restricted time zone, cost 400 baht. Police seem more interested in either suspected drug runners on highway 11, or scooter riders in town. The latter has its funny moments. Watching the block from across the moat at Mad Dog, many helmetless riders scoot off down Loh Kroh escape route, and a few older helmetless Thais just wave as they thunder by on their dilapidated machines. The majority stopped are wearing helmets which probably signifies Chinese and tourists cash cows.

Lampang is somewhat different, though. Police are tough on enforcement of practically every law they can conceive as being broken. There is a huge tub for fines. Never drive over 90kph or you'll be caught on camera and fined by post later, as my nearest and dearest was.

As a farang woman, I am not in their chosen demographic and what's even worse is I might know their mother or wife; so always get waved through!

Only got stopped once by the army, there was a coup or maybe the airport takeover and a curfew had been announced. It was terribly inconvenient as at the time I was having dinner at the (what was then) Oriental Dhara Devi. So living in the centre of town, I drove into a desolate Chiang Mai city centre with an army checkpoint near the railway station.

The army person looked a bit confused as to whether he should let me pass, I pointed out to him I would take the nearest soi if he didn't , so all was good, off I went!

• Like 1

Never been stopped in our car around the city and surrounds in 11 years.Motor bikes are a seperate issue .A friend who has been coming to CM for 20 years was recently stopped 3 times in one day in the old city,he was not impressed.Had, as always, all the correct paperwork,licence,helmet.

Pity those police cant get mobile on the roads and stop the carnage 

Once you travel to other provinces ie Chiang Rai ,north to Fang you will get a cursory stop.For us its always been a wave through. Only once did an officer speak "Good morning Sir"

They are, I guess, basically looking for illegal entries or they would be asking to open the boot lid to check for illegal substances

17 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Your 18 years with only 2 stops only demonstrates that you have barely been anywhere in 18 years, travel through half the provinces of Thailand and you, like every single car, will get stopped.

Agree, but stopped on average once a day really is a lot.

18 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Your 18 years with only 2 stops only demonstrates that you have barely been anywhere in 18 years, travel through half the provinces of Thailand and you, like every single car, will get stopped.

I'm assuming by stopped you mean bring the car to a full or nearly full stop and be waved on without showing any documents.

I've driven to lot's of places in Thailand and have yet to be asked  for a license,  or insurance paper.

• Like 2

Hi Grumpy...,

My experience has been very similar to yours and I have always found the policemen to be polite and friendly, especially when I show them my Thai licence.

I ride a larger motor scooter, very new with all the bases covered including my head. But not once has anyone asked for details about the bike.

My status immediately changes. The ones who can speak english suddenly want to know about me.

Friendly personal questions. We smile and joke. I have fun.

As they are getting to know me more and more they just smile and wave me on. They know that I am a good guy.

I have no complaints at all! I live in Khon Kaen.

Edited by Billthekiwi

I get stopped at our Tambon check point on the Phrao road frequently. The local bobby wants to exchange football remarks; he is a Chelsea fan & I am Liverpool. We both agree, with a thumbs down that Man U are 'kayaa' with hoots of laughter. Last week, with the world cup under way, I was waved through with a broad grin and 'Angkhrit pai dee'.

Thai police always friendly and professional.
Had to pay the one or other fine for doing u-turns or not using the right lane.
But I know I was in the wrong and they are just doing their job.
Also had a body search for drugs a few times when driving home in a taxi, mostly around Sukhumvit.
Everything fine as I don't have to hide anything.

The point is, the presence and work ethic of the police should be improved.
Like I said, when they are outside and doing their job it's professional.