Skytrain delays till year-end: operator

webfact

The BTS, besides not being fit for purpose due to woeful planning and design is, after a mere fifteen years, now totally inadequate in designed capacity too. Add to that the - for the majority of Thai unskilled and blue-collar workers - excessive price, and you have a disaster waiting to happen; as it is now, platforms at pivotal stations such as Asoke and Siam are jammed for much or the day and night. What will it be like when the new-build condos along the extended lines come on-stream? No doubt Khun Kanjanapas and his team are considering carefully whether to add another carriage or two at certain times of day, now that passengers can scarcely breath when onboard, but implementation may take some time.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

No doubt Khun Kanjanapas and his team are considering carefully whether to add another carriage or two at certain times of day

I believe that twenty-two (22) new four-car trains have been ordered, manufactured (in Turkey via some arrangement with Siemens) and in Thailand or at least on a ship bound for Laem Chabang. These will be needed when the light green Sukhumvit Line extension from Samrong (E15) to Kheha (E23) opens at the end of this year. I've seen some mention of a new signaling system to be installed concurrently, but am not certain. The last time they updated the signaling system there were some hiccups.

Another 24 sets are evidently on order from China’s Changchun Railway Vehicles; no clue on delivery/usage for those?

First roll-out for new four-car BTSC trains at Turkish plant

The first roll-out ceremony for BTSC's 22 new four-car trains by Bangkok Mass Transit System and Siemens took place at the factory of the German firm’s partner Bozankaya in the Turkish capital, Ankara, on Tuesday

The roll-out of the first of 22 trains to be supplied by Siemens is part of a broader deal for a total of 46 new four-car trains, with the other 24 to be supplied by China’s Changchun Railway Vehicles. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Corporate/30348139

• Like 1

16 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Can someone please advise me? 

I am starting a new job in BKK in a month. My work is close enough to the Victory Monument area. 

I was thinking of renting near Thong Lor or Ekkamai. I would probably get the BTS at around 6:30 am and return around 4:00 pm.

Is it madness to live further away from work and rely on that BTS service? 

Maybe check into renting in the Monument area until you're sure that living farther out will meet your schedule needs. Or do a trial trip from farther out before your job depends on timely arrival.

Why are almost all the posts from Wednesday so posted in the news from yesterday also here in the "news" post of today Thursday??????????????

17 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

I am starting a new job in BKK in a month. My work is close enough to the Victory Monument area. 

I was thinking of renting near Thong Lor or Ekkamai. I would probably get the BTS at around 6:30 am and return around 4:00 pm.

I'd be living over in Aree instead of Ekamai or Thonglor. If the BTS breaks down and you are at Ekamai or Thonglor it will take a long time to get to VM. Aree is just up the street a few blocks.

• Like 1

Same, Same, and Not Different

Although the mention of delays of 30 minutes is a bit different; usually they default to the "10 minute drone".

BTS tweets this AM

09.00 due to the signal mandate system in Sukhumvit Line and Silom line, the process is still interrupted. As a result, the vehicle will be required to stop at the station for a long time, and to arrive at the station late for 30 minutes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

08:30 is due to the signal mandate system in Sukhumvit and Silom line This can be affected by low-speed vehicles and at a station longer than usual .

17 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Conventional wisdom says always travel in the opposite direction to the rush hour. Sadly Victory Monument area is almost ground zero. There are many places one stop from there to live. Leave the train for going to Thong Lor or Ekkamai for recreation? Except of course it doesn't run after midnight! 

Public transport riders are now starting to experience what road using commuters have experienced in BKK for decades. Hopefully the BTS will start operating earlier so people can start travelling at 5.30 like some of the drivers do. Go to work early, go home early.

• Like 1

The MRT (subway) also seemed to have some issues this morning, maybe an issue at Tao Poon station?

The pictures of the queues look horrendous on social media.

I don't think this is a result of a back-up from the BTS?

Some of the memes are hilarious on social media but suspect the populace will start to lose patience, or just stay home to recover from watching the World Cup matches.

9 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

If the BTS is running slowly, it's time to get familiar with the bus routes. When delays are expected to year end, you can be sure it'll be much, much longer!

I would imagine you're not the first person to consider alternative transportation - buses are chockablock now.

It certainly sounds like the current issues are a result of the current, on-going upgrade to a new signaling system, and not due to interference or bad karma.

Apology in English from BTS FB page:

Mr. Surapong Laoha-Unya, Chief Executive Officer of Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC) explained that the disruption to BTS SkyTrain services which severely affected passengers on Monday June 25th 2018, was a continuation of problems experienced over the past two weeks. In response the company has taken urgent steps to address root causes, enabling normal service to resume. The company would like to take this opportunity to express sincere apologies to our valued passengers for the inconvenience caused during such prolonged delays.

The cause of the recent failures is connected with the installation of a new radio signaling system, necessary to improve stability and support passenger services on the Green Line Extension from Bearing to Samut Prakan, scheduled for operation at the end of 2018. The new system is being installed at all BTS stations and in 52 BTS trains, and will be completed by Friday June 29th 2018. During the installation period intermittent failures have occurred which have affected train operations, however the company has implemented urgent measures to rectify the situation and will attempt to complete installation of the new signaling system within the deadline set. Over the past two weeks the automatic signaling systems of the BTS SkyTrain which are radio based, have experienced external interference especially around Phrom Phong, Asok and Siam Station, which is the interchange between the Silom and Sukhumvit Lines. 

As a result trains could not be operated as normal, resulting in service delays and passenger overcrowding, particularly during daily rush hours.

Mr. Surapong added that BTSC has closely investigated ways to resolve current problems, in order to restore the efficiency of BTS services and stability of the transport system. The company provides passengers with information updates on train delays through BTS social media channels, such as Twitter @BTS_SkyTrain, Line Application @Btsskytrain and our Facebook Page. 

Lastly, Mr. Surapong added “BTSC again apologies deeply for the recent service disruption and inconvenience caused to passengers. The company is closely monitoring the situation and resolving not only current issues but also other ongoing concerns. Providing convenient and punctual service is the main purpose of the BTS system and we have mobilised all possible resources to expedite resolution of current problems. Nevertheless, BTSC continues to strictly maintain safety standards in all aspects of our operations, which the company considers fundamental to serving our passengers.”

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It certainly sounds like the current issues are a result of the current, on-going upgrade to a new signaling system, and not due to interference or bad karma.

Apology in English from BTS FB page:

Mr. Surapong Laoha-Unya, Chief Executive Officer of Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC) explained that the disruption to BTS SkyTrain services which severely affected passengers on Monday June 25th 2018, was a continuation of problems experienced over the past two weeks. In response the company has taken urgent steps to address root causes, enabling normal service to resume. The company would like to take this opportunity to express sincere apologies to our valued passengers for the inconvenience caused during such prolonged delays.

The cause of the recent failures is connected with the installation of a new radio signaling system, necessary to improve stability and support passenger services on the Green Line Extension from Bearing to Samut Prakan, scheduled for operation at the end of 2018. The new system is being installed at all BTS stations and in 52 BTS trains, and will be completed by Friday June 29th 2018. During the installation period intermittent failures have occurred which have affected train operations, however the company has implemented urgent measures to rectify the situation and will attempt to complete installation of the new signaling system within the deadline set. Over the past two weeks the automatic signaling systems of the BTS SkyTrain which are radio based, have experienced external interference especially around Phrom Phong, Asok and Siam Station, which is the interchange between the Silom and Sukhumvit Lines. 

As a result trains could not be operated as normal, resulting in service delays and passenger overcrowding, particularly during daily rush hours.

Mr. Surapong added that BTSC has closely investigated ways to resolve current problems, in order to restore the efficiency of BTS services and stability of the transport system. The company provides passengers with information updates on train delays through BTS social media channels, such as Twitter @BTS_SkyTrain, Line Application @Btsskytrain and our Facebook Page. 

Lastly, Mr. Surapong added “BTSC again apologies deeply for the recent service disruption and inconvenience caused to passengers. The company is closely monitoring the situation and resolving not only current issues but also other ongoing concerns. Providing convenient and punctual service is the main purpose of the BTS system and we have mobilised all possible resources to expedite resolution of current problems. Nevertheless, BTSC continues to strictly maintain safety standards in all aspects of our operations, which the company considers fundamental to serving our passengers.”

Shut up already 

Edited by MaxLee

On 6/26/2018 at 3:26 PM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

I'd say you'll be fine.  This thread is about the exception not the rule.  I know there is a lot of

criticism at the moment, but this will pass, the problems will be fixed.

You will also be traveling at "off peak" hours, your times are before both the morning and

evening rush hours, so less chance of a wait.  You also do not have to change trains. I would

estimate your "on the train time" at about 30 mins.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2018 at 3:26 PM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

I take the BTS nearly daily to work from Thonglor to Ploenchit. When the BTS is not experiencing problems as long as you are on the BTS at Thonglor before 6.30am there is normally no problems at all. There seems to be a bit of a marker around 6.40am when the trains get a lot more busy. The trains generally loosen up at Asok as a lot of people get off.

On the way back at 4pm it would be no issue at all. I try to get the bts before 5.15pm when going home from Ploenchit and at that time it can be busy but never queued back.

In summary it is  a no issue journey but would advise a 6.20am start rather than eering towards 6.40am.

• Like 1