The Fruit That Smells Like Rotten Eggs

A Friend of the wife bought one the other day,i have wanted

to try tasting one for ages,the wife does not eat them,and I

did not want to buy one incase I did not like it,and it would

be wasted,  so she got a small piece of her friend for me.

The first thing no terrible smell,took a bite,really no taste,

constituency like custard ,turned into a non event,unless

others taste better.

regards worgeordie

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

A Friend of the wife bought one the other day,i have wanted

to try tasting one for ages,the wife does not eat them,and I

did not want to buy one incase I did not like it,and it would

be wasted,  so she got a small piece of her friend for me.

The first thing no terrible smell,took a bite,really no taste,

constituency like custard ,turned into a non event,unless

others taste better.

regards worgeordie

Yeah, you got unlucky.

The quality does really vary a lot. There are lots of varieties of it and then there is variable of the specific one you eat. The best I ever had was in Bali. The Malaysians diss the Thai ones because of the chemicals used. It's somewhat like wine tasting. There is a lot of bad wine out there and a lot of bad durian too. But when it's good, it can blow your mind. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But when it's good, it can blow your mind

Not always something we want however.  Tried in 1968 - did not like - have not eaten again.  Will say there is much less odor from most in last several decades.

Image result for blow your mind

Like rotten eggs?

I bet the author has never taken a sniff of durian.

Nonsense to me.

The author should try dried squid put on the BBQ or put his head over a jar with pla ra ("rotten fish").

Of course the intensity and the taste varies widely depending on ripeness.

Also there are different sorts/qualities.

Just had a small bite after lunch and liked it.

I had my first taste in Brunei, 1984. Was hooked and loved it ever since. The taste can vary according to the quality and type. The 'trouble and strife' is an expert, so no problems for me on the durian front. ?

9 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

That stuff is wonderful, so many people let the smell convince them it tastes bad. Leaves more for me though.

But have you seen the prices here in Thailand this year? We were buying these in Chiang Mai a couple of years back (shipped from Rayong) for 45 Baht / KG (Whole fruit) then it went up to 90 Baht /KG, now it is well over 100 Baht / KG.

Anyone buying it in the pre packed form must be paying an arm and a leg for it. Lovely though when it really sloppy and ripe.

Love it.??

When ever we visit, brother in law gets for me, ?

Mother in law (Thai) can not understand that I like it, pulls a face every time .?

She will not touch, said maybe I was Isan last life ?

I prefer it chilled in the fridge (as that heightens the "custard" effect for me) but then you might stink up your fridge (like kimchi). 

https://www.healthxchange.sg/food-nutrition/food-tips/durian-myths-alcohol-cholesterol

Eating durian and drinking beer at the same time may kill you

There is no scientific evidence to show that this is a lethal combination. It is more likely to cause bloating, indigestion and discomfort as your liver has to work extra hard to metabolise both fats and sugars in the durian.

I think it's obscene that Durian can be advertised/sold by the weight of the whole fruit. Here in Phetchabun the going rate for whole fruit is about 100bt - 120bt a kilo. It's really a gamble because sometimes 60% is the inedible 'husk', which is discarded after weighing.

The true price of the actual edible part is about 200bt - 250bt a kilo. Consequently, I always buy the fruit prepared and ready packed. I used to hate the smell of Durian, but can't get enough of it now. Delicious!

Never ate it because Thai hotels don’t allow it in the hotels. Then one day met a beautiful Thai girl who gave me a bite and the sweet creamy taste turned the smell into heaven. Only problem is cannot drink alcohol on days I eat it. 

36 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Never ate it because Thai hotels don’t allow it in the hotels. Then one day met a beautiful Thai girl who gave me a bite and the sweet creamy taste turned the smell into heaven. Only problem is cannot drink alcohol on days I eat it. 

Hard liquor and durian both heat the body. It's OK to have a beer. Even if you had whisky, it's highly unlikely it would kill you, but best to avoid as durian gives enough heat. It's like an old wives tale here that mixing durian and booze will kill you. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Hard liquor and durian both heat the body. It's OK to have a beer. Even if you had whisky, it's highly unlikely it would kill you, but best to avoid as durian gives enough heat. It's like an old wives tale here that mixing durian and booze will kill you. 

You are probably 100 percent correct. The Issan girl told me the Issan stories of expats drinking alcohol and eating durian and dying and it scared me from drinking and eating.  Partly because she would not drink alcohol and eat durian on the same day. So we would choose to eat durian on days we did not drink beer.  Maybe she believed it or maybe she just wanted to not drink but what you said makes sense. 

Archived