Do I need to transfer my existing visa into new passport

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I could be pedantic and point out that an OA visa doesn't have the word retirement written on it, its often referred to as an NON-IMMIGRANT VISA-O-A (LONG STAY) on Thai consulate websites etc. So technically there is no such thing as a retirement Visa.

Just to be pedantic as well ?? you can get it easily when you're retired. ?

Or does it work if you're 35 and loaded ?????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Sorry guys I’m a tad confused (it don’t take much). 

I am on an O-A retirement visa obtained in the U.K. which the 2 years are due to run out next March. Before then I will need a new passport so will they transfer my existing visa/ reentry permit over at Swampy when I arrive and will I need transfer forms from UK to allow this. 

Just trying to plan ahead a bit. 

Cheers. 

8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I am on an O-A retirement visa obtained in the U.K. which the 2 years are due to run out next March. Before then I will need a new passport so will they transfer my existing visa/ reentry permit over at Swampy when I arrive and will I need transfer forms from UK to allow this. 

Cheers. 

If you have the big sticker as posted above, similar to my my multi O then I don't think so.

I have gone out/in at the airport and showed both old and new passports and got new stamps without a problem without being asked for a letter.

I've carried both old/new passports until the 'visa' reached its use/enter by date and always showed the still valid visa and then got a new visa in an embassy or consulate outside Thailand.

16 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Cheers. 

See post 4 and post 11

An actual valid visa is not transferred, so you need to use both old and new passports while the visa remains valid, but you would be stamped in an out at the border/airport in your new passport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

See post 4 and post 11

An actual valid visa is not transferred, so you need to use both old and new passports while the visa remains valid, but you would be stamped in an out at the border/airport in your new passport.

Sudden thought!!!

You will also need a re-entry permit if you're in your second year as it is now an extension of stay. ????

The original 'visa' has passed it's enter by date.

• Like 1

Just now, overherebc said:

Sudden thought!!!

You will also need a re-entry permit if you're in your second year as it is now an extension of stay. ????

The original 'visa' has passed it's enter by date.

In my case I have a multi re-entry. Will they transfer that into the new passport without any forms?

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I could be pedantic and point out that an OA visa doesn't have the word retirement written on it, its often referred to as an NON-IMMIGRANT VISA-O-A (LONG STAY) on Thai consulate websites etc. So technically there is no such thing as a retirement Visa.

image.png.5d74c005c20f7c65a0e5c3e7232fd7c0.png

Good point ? ... nowhere on the MOFA website does "retirement" get a  mention........I withdraw my comment....

• Like 1

A few years back now, I had to get a new passport. I did this from France where I spend part of each year. My  expiring passport had the original visa ( retirement ) and subsequent extensions and multiple re entry permit. I used this at Suvarnabhumi immigration with no problems, my new passport being stamped with my entry stamp. When I next went to renew my extension of stay at Sakhon Nakon IO at that point they transferred everything. I think the fee was about 2000 baht (might have been less) for doing this plus of course the fees for extension renewal and Futher re entry permit

This is the form I used few years ago at Chaeng Wattana. All my previous extensions of stay stamps were transferred on my new passport and my still valid reentry permit, I did not have to pay anything.

Scan_20180630 (2).jpg

Scan_20180630.jpg

On 6/29/2018 at 1:39 PM, ubonjoe said:

You have to go to immigration to have your permit to stay stamp reinstated in the new passport.

Thanks for your reply! And what if you need to fly out right away for an appointment? 

5 minutes ago, DavidB4 said:

Thanks for your reply! And what if you need to fly out right away for an appointment? 

It is possible to do it on departure from the country. The most important thing you would need is a police report for the lost or stolen passport or you would not be allowed to check in for your flight.

But if you are on a long term extension of stay it would be best to do it at an immigration office.

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

The OP doesn't have an O-A visa.

He doesn't have any kind of visa. It died years ago after it's enter by date.

He now has and has had for a few years an extension of stay that was issued because years ago he 'had' a visa.

Thanks for your comment, but if your read my post and see the images of transferred stamps into a new passport, you'll notice, that the original OA-visa is transferred, as one's extension of stay is based on that visa together with your current situation; i.e. for example retired. The original Visa and last entry stamp need to be transferred, at least at Samui Immigration...?

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your comment, but if your read my post and see the images of transferred stamps into a new passport, you'll notice, that the original OA-visa is transferred, as one's extension of stay is based on that visa together with your current situation; i.e. for example retired.

Only the info about the visa is done as a annotation on a stamp that has lines for the info about it and the old passport. 

The annotation is only done to prove a non immigrant visa was used to get the permit to stay that has been extended previously.

Here is the stamp in my passport and the transferred entry stamp gotten from the non-o visa.

260455150_visaannotation.jpg.57fbab53bcf3e59f4c13c62d5fd1e8e7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the info about the visa is done as a annotation on a stamp that has lines for the info about it and the old passport. 

The annotation is only done to prove a non immigrant visa was used to get the permit to stay that has been extended previously.

Here is the stamp in my passport and the transferred entry stamp gotten from the non-o visa.

260455150_visaannotation.jpg.57fbab53bcf3e59f4c13c62d5fd1e8e7.jpg

Thanks. Yes the same in my passport – I may express wrong when saying "visa" instead of "annotation" – as also shown by image in the post I linked to...?

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, bkk6060 said:

Just to add there was no fee charged.

Just fill out a form, present the letter from the Embassy and give them the 2 passports.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, Kadilo said:

Lots of good info here. Just for clarification, when you have a new passport issued (in my case it will be issued in the U.K.) do you still need a letter to enable the stamps to be transferred to new passport? Or is it only passports issued in Thailand.?

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, bkk6060 said:

At Chonburi the IO tole me flat out they will do nothing without the letter.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Monkeyrobot said:

You will need the transfer stamps form and a letter from  the Embassy also.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, CMBob said:

The need for a letter from an embassy/consulate apparently depends on the given province.   At Chiangmai Immigration last September, I had my stamps transferred to my new passport and I had no embassy/consulate letter and nobody at Immigration even asked about one.

Can someone please explain specifically what "the letter from the Embassy" is that is apparently required? I notice that UJ did not mention it as a requirement.

• Like 1

Can someone please explain specifically what "the letter from the Embassy" is that is apparently required? I notice that UJ did not mention it as a requirement.
It seems new UK passports issued to people living in Thailand automatically get the Embassy letter with their new passport.

My Lao wife has an Extension as my dependent and will soon need a new Lao passport, which to the best of my knowledge can only be issued in Laos. I very much doubt that an Embassy letter will be easy to get, so I'm anticipating problems in transferring her Extension.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I did not post any of the requirements since he was only asking if it needed to be done. Also if he only had a visa entry he would not need the letter since he would do it on departure from the country.

The letter varies from embassy to embassy. It basically just states that you received a new passport and it requests immigration's assistance in getting the stamps transferred,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My Lao wife has an Extension as my dependent and will soon need a new Lao passport, which to the best of my knowledge can only be issued in Laos. I very much doubt that an Embassy letter will be easy to get, so I'm anticipating problems in transferring her Extension.

It she gets the new passport in Laos she may not need the letter since she will of used it for entry to the country. In cases like this many immigration offices will not ask for the letter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I did not post any of the requirements since he was only asking if it needed to be done. Also if he only had a visa entry he would not need the letter since he would do it on departure from the country.

The letter varies from embassy to embassy. It basically just states that you received a new passport and it requests immigration's assistance in getting the stamps transferred,

Thanks for clarifying that but is it an Immigration requirement in order to get extension stamps transferred (CW in particular)?

22 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Thanks for clarifying that but is it an Immigration requirement in order to get extension stamps transferred (CW in particular)?

Yes it is a requirement.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is a requirement.

Is it a requirement to fill out the letter to transfer your existing Visa details (O-A retirement obtained from the UK) and existing multi re-entry permit to your new passport (obtained in UK). 

23 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Is it a requirement to fill out the letter to transfer your existing Visa details (O-A retirement obtained from the UK) and existing multi re-entry permit to your new passport (obtained in UK). 

If you have a OA visa issued issued by a embassy there is no need to transfer your stamps. It can be done on departure from the country.

If you have a valid re-entry permit to keep the last entry from the visa valid you would use both passports on entry to use the re-entry permit in your old one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a OA visa issued issued by a embassy there is no need to transfer your stamps. It can be done on departure from the country.

If you have a valid re-entry permit to keep the last entry from the visa valid you would use both passports on entry to use the re-entry permit in your old one.

Apologies Ubonjoe I realise I’m being a bit slow. I assume from that you mean when I leave the UK they will transfer my OA details to my new passport?

16 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I assume from that you mean when I leave the UK they will transfer my OA details to my new passport?

When you leave here if you got your new passport here.

It you got it in the UK there would be no stamps to transfer. You would show your OA visa if valid or the re-entry permit in your old passport on entry to Thailand.

• Like 2