Your message is a flame

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

Never let it be said be said that remainers dont post steaming hot urine 

Did you run home to tell your Da ?

???

17 minutes ago, Grouse said:

My father is dead 

Your message is a flame

A very special flame in that it casts absolutely no light.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Did any of those 45 years include any time spent at all studying economics? Doesn't seem like it.

Only Economic History. For my tertiary study I chose something worthwhile. But as you mention it, economics is not the primary reason for the leave vote. Economics is a word applied to too many things, IMHO. The word economics is often used with other words like crisis. Strictly, the 2008 crisis should have been only termed financial crisis, brought about by poor financial, legal and economic policies. During the last crisis, being a member of the EU did not help avoid the effects of the recession. But as I am such an ameteur, can you tell me, if reasoning supposed to be an element of economics? 

• Like 1

We are all aware of the remainer mantra of '' Cake and eat it '' when it comes to Brexit.

Never let it be said that the same does not apply within the EU.

Euro zone banks should be granted exceptions from global banking rules when it comes to mortgages and lending to companies, particularly small to medium enterprises (SMEs), the European Central Bank’s chief banking supervisor said on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecb-banks-regulation/euro-zone-banks-should-get-exceptions-from-global-banking-rules-ecbs-nouy-idUSKBN1JW1LC?il=0

Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tebee said:

Me? I'm probably alright - is it not permissible to worry about the fate of others less fortunate than me ?

But that is not what you said is it ?

34 minutes ago, tebee said:

Just another little diagram to show how we'll all be poorer out of the single market

We will not all be poorer, some might be, but being in or out of the EU is probably not going to make a blind bit of difference to their life.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Cannot be true! Remainers are selfish, remember?

I've lived in France long enough to get French citizenship if worse came to worst. My income is from long term rentals to French people and selling virtual goods online that I create - The post-brexit UK is already a dwindling market to me. We have property in Thailand too.

The only bad point from hard Brexit that would affect me personal is that my  Chinese wife would probably need a visa to visit the UK as opposed to using her EU residence card. Oh and I can see the UK bit of my pension being worthless when it's time for me to get it

Comment from a (soft)leaver 

If we end up in Efta I'll be happy because it means the dickheads on both sides of the #Brexit debate lose.

I think this situation is not sound. As people voted for Brexit, it should be Brexiters in power and running negotiations. Then instead of putting the blame on others as usual, they would have to deliver. Then the British people would be able to assess exactly what they are actually able to deliver and what future they can precisely offer this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Only Economic History. For my tertiary study I chose something worthwhile. But as you mention it, economics is not the primary reason for the leave vote. Economics is a word applied to too many things, IMHO. The word economics is often used with other words like crisis. Strictly, the 2008 crisis should have been only termed financialcrisis, brought about by poor financial, legal and economic policies. During the last crisis, being a member of the EU did not help avoid the effects of the recession. But as I am such an ameteur, can you tell me, if reasoning supposed to be an element of economics? 

10 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Well you obviously didn't apply yourself too much to your studies. Do you believe that if the UK were outside the EU it would have avoided a recession? That the UK's banks and shadow banks wouldn't have behaved foolishly and recklessly? But in fact the UK pulled itself out of the recession much faster than did the other large EU nations. And that's because it is not a member of the Eurozone and was able to engage in more deficit spending than allowed by Eurozone rules.. I could actually understand the moaning and groaning about the EU if the UK was a Eurozone member. But it isn't.

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

There is enough to moan about re the EU without even including the Euro. Studies of what? Apply yourself to reading what people say before getting the slate gun out. 

You noted that being in the EU didn't help the UK avoid the effects of  the recession. Why exactly would that be laid at the EU's door? It was the greed and negligence of British banks  and other financial institutions that was responsible for that. Do you expect the EU to mop up the UK's messes?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aright said:

The top quote is my reply in post 627. Can you underline the words where I bring up Volks with regard to LRJ. If you can't an apology would be nice.

Didn't Volkwagen  clearly know something about diesel emissions violations but forgot to tell the general public.

Half a million vehicles recalled as I recall. So much for "they" clearly knowing.

Yes I did write it but as I explained in a post you ignored or was beyond you  your response was to talk about supply chains WW11 etc. which I never referenced.

Another of your posts with more point scoring than intellectual content.

Here's what I wrote followed by what you wrote. How can you possibly claim you weren't responding to my comment about supply chains? Your claim is ludicrous.

On 7/5/2018 at 8:44 PM, bristolboy said:

You may not be that naive but clearly they know something about supply chains that you don't.

"But supply chains would only be affected for less than 20% of their market. And that's in a worst case 'no deal' scenario."

On 7/5/2018 at 9:56 PM, aright said:

Didn't Volkwagen  clearly know something about diesel emissions violations but forgot to tell the general public.

Half a million vehicles recalled as I recall. So much for "they" clearly knowing

Destroy one single market in order to create another, makes perfect sense. Common rule book will mean common arbitrator, ECJ?

"We would strike different arrangements for services," - appears to fly in the face of what the EU has said since day one. Time will tell.

The UK and the EU would maintain a common rulebook for all goods including agri-food, with the UK making an upfront choice to commit by treaty to ongoing harmonisation with EU rules on goods, covering only those necessary to provide for frictionless trade at the border. These rules are relatively stable, and supported by a large share of our manufacturing businesses. The UK would of course continue to play a strong role in shaping the international standards that underpin them, and Parliament would have oversight of the incorporation of these rules into the UK’s legal order – with the ability to choose not to do so, recognising that this would have consequences. We would strike different arrangements for services, where it is in our interests to have regulatory flexibility, recognising the UK and the EU will not have current levels of access to each other’s markets

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/723460/CHEQUERS_STATEMENT_-_FINAL.PDF

Nothing so certain as uncertainty.

It remains our firm view that it is in the best interests of both sides to reach agreement on a good and sustainable future relationship. But we also concluded that it was responsible to continue preparations for a range of potential outcomes, including the possibility of ‘no deal’. Given the short period remaining before the necessary conclusion of negotiations this autumn, we agreed preparations should be stepped up.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/723460/CHEQUERS_STATEMENT_-_FINAL.PDF

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nothing so certain as uncertainty.

It remains our firm view that it is in the best interests of both sides to reach agreement on a good and sustainable future relationship. But we also concluded that it was responsible to continue preparations for a range of potential outcomes, including the possibility of ‘no deal’. Given the short period remaining before the necessary conclusion of negotiations this autumn, we agreed preparations should be stepped up.

I suspect the hardline Brexiteers within the government will now push for a collapse of the talks in the hope of forcing the U.K. out of the EU with the ‘no deal’.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect the hardline Brexiteers within the government will now push for a collapse of the talks in the hope of forcing the U.K. out of the EU with the ‘no deal’.

It also remains to be seen how the EU and countries like Switzerland and Norway react to this proposal. It could still be deemed unworkable or run into other problems (restrictions on freedom of movement, role of ECJ....). And then all the EU parliaments still have to agree. Far from certain yet and the clock keeps ticking.

• Like 2

It’s interesting and informative that the hardline Brexiteers in the Cabinet have buckled on their demands and signed off on a ‘Soft Brexit’ negotiating position (a position that if carried forward will inevitably result in the UK making further concessions resulting in an even softer Brexit).

The hardliners either have other plans to force the ‘hard Brexit’ they continually speak of or they’ve sold out their hardline Brexit supporters.

Time will tell, but for now the hardline Brexiteers have backed off from the chance they had to establish a ‘hard Brexit’ negotiating position.

That they’ve done so when they tell us ‘the will of the people’ is to get out of the EU at any cost and when faced with a PM in such a weak position both in Parliament and within the Tory Party suggests the hardliners have been bluffing all along.

• Like 1

I would not get too excited about yesterday's fantastic deal.

From the BBC

• The jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice will end but the UK will pay regard to its decisions in areas where common rules were in force.

However, Barnier has ruled out any deal that ends the Jurisdiction of the ECJ

I don't see this deal going anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:
4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Only Economic History. For my tertiary study I chose something worthwhile. But as you mention it, economics is not the primary reason for the leave vote. Economics is a word applied to too many things, IMHO. The word economics is often used with other words like crisis. Strictly, the 2008 crisis should have been only termed financialcrisis, brought about by poor financial, legal and economic policies. During the last crisis, being a member of the EU did not help avoid the effects of the recession. But as I am such an ameteur, can you tell me, if reasoning supposed to be an element of economics? 

You noted that being in the EU didn't help the UK avoid the effects of  the recession. Why exactly would that be laid at the EU's door? It was the greed and negligence of British banks  and other financial institutions that was responsible for that. Do you expect the EU to mop up the UK's messes?

I noted that "being a member of the EU did not help avoid the effects of the recession", I did not select the UK specifically. You make so many dense assumptions and don't even answer the question asked.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1