So why don’t Thais want to wear their bike helmets?

rooster59

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

If I actually wrote what I feel with regards to this subject then it would almost definitely be removed by the mods so I will say only this.....I can't change what almost a entire nation believes, and in fairness it is their prerogative what they want to think but as a devote atheist I personally don't believe in reincarnation. Basically, as far as I'm concerned  it is one strike and your out.  Because I've become a father figure to our grandson, I'm going to make sure as he grows up that he understands that he mustn't be brainwashed by anyone from family members to school teachers into believing that he will receive a second chance. I do generally respect Buddhism and in many ways it makes more sense that other faiths, but not in its belief of reincarnation. I think it is a significant factor in the appalling statistics on Thai roads. 

As I've said before, the fine for not wearing a helmet should be at least 10,000 baht. If you want results then hit people where it hurts the most.  

You can never say that when someone dies they will return as someone else, until someone dies and comes back and tells us, it does not matter if you are Atheist, Buddhist, or anything else.

Edited by possum1931

In my village my son is the only kid who is made to wear a helmet while riding his bike. He already comments that the others don’t and that they’re bad. If people are taught young enough they will automatically continue to do things. Seeing kids on motorcycles without helmets typifies the lack of responsible parenting of people here. This probably answers the original question. 

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

You can never say that when someone dies they will return as someone else, until someone dies and comes back and tells us, it does not matter if you are Athiest, Buddhist, or anything else.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise of your argument. 

But if someone claiming they're the reincarnation of an Egyptian princess or a Buddhist monk was sufficient proof, then reincarnation is a proven fact.  I've met many people who claim they have done just that- "come back and tell us".

Strangely, none of them ever come back and claim that they were poor white trailer trash in their previous life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

on another point when i went to the cop shop to pay my 400 baht fine and get my licence back, i did not see one Thai, in the waiting room to pay the helmet fine, they were stopping Thais so i can only assume they were paying cash to the cops,

Nothing to stop a non Thai doing the same, we should never complain about Thai corruption, we should

make it work for ourselves, and not be hypocrites.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

But if someone claiming they're the reincarnation of an Egyptian princess or a Buddhist monk was sufficient proof, then reincarnation is a proven fact.  I've met many people who claim they have done just that- "come back and tell us".

Strangely, none of them ever come back and claim that they were poor white trailer trash in their previous life.

I was a fluffer in my previous life.... 

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Increase the fine to 2000 baht.

It will cause a huge uproar & alot of hardship to some, but hopefully the message will get through to them.

Who is going to enforce that to the thousands of kids who use  them for school. I’m not saying you’re wrong but I’m not sure that just bringing in big fines will work. They need educating. 

38 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Correct, but most people don't have this kind of money and they would just ignore paying the fines.

I think scorecard's idea (post #3) is better:

Yes, and the same should apply to drunk drivers, and riders on the pavement.

But! In a lot of cases, that would be useless. I don't think I need to explain.

31 minutes ago, jonesthepost said:

There are plenty of Farangs  that do not wear helmets and ride the wrong way up roads too.  

That is obviously mostly in Pattaya, but I have to admit, I have never seen a Farang riding on the wrong side 

of the road.

If you have a five dollar head wear a $5 helmet. You can go up or down from there depending on the value placed on any given head. What amazes me is the priority many thais have that a surgical mask is more important than a helmet? What's with that?

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

I think there is a difference between "claiming" and "telling". Anyone can "claim" anything, but "telling"

someone will be either the truth, or lies.

I was "cruising" the streets of downtown Loei the other day on Google street view. Pics were from late last year.  Maybe 1/3 had helmets.  At the major circle in town, there was a traffic directing cop for some strange reason.  3/4 of the people riding around him in the pic didn't have helmets.  In another, two guys were on a crappy Honda with a sidecar on the main market street.  No helmets and no license plate.

40 years ago I rode around there without a license plate on my bike, but I did have a driver's license.

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You can never say that when someone dies they will return as someone else, until someone dies and comes back and tells us, it does not matter if you are Atheist, Buddhist, or anything else.

I am going to continue coming back as my same old a-hole self and annoy the same old a-holes until they get it right! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Easy, do what they did when they introduced compulsory wearing of helmets in Vietnam both for the rider and all passengers. 

From day 1, anybody caught without helmet, driver or passenger and the bike was immediately confiscated

never to be seen again and no  discussion whatever.

It worked and the idea was broadly supported by Vietnamese society.

I was visiting HCMC lats year I everybody had a helmet including young children.  Even traffic  police on motorcycle had their helmet.  I was told it took just a few days  to have everybody wear helmet. Not sure the motocycles were never given back but I was told their were impounded  to police yard and they had to pay to get them back..  No helmet, no driving,,,very efficient.

Here in Thailand, if policemen were reprimanded and fined by their bosses if not wearing a  helmet, I am sure the next day those  same  policemen and everybody at their police  station  would start to apply the law to the citizens.

Edited by cnx355
spelling error

3 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Easy to understand in a climate like Thailand, who wants to stick a smelly old pot on their head when it's much nicer to feel the breeze in your hair (if you've got any) from a safety point of view not such a good idea, but as long as you can get away with the likes of a 10 press-ups punishment it will continue unabated!

breeze in yer hair, flies in yer  teeth, grit in yer eyes etc 

Yes a helmet is warm to wear but you get used to that. They should develop tropical helmets though with much better ventilation or even a fan on solarpower.

Now i don't care if the Thai won't wear helmets, it's not a danger to me or anybody else.

Driving against traffic is a much bigger danger to me since i have to keep lept where they drive against traffic ALL DAY LONG.

Once a policeman stopped me for not keeping left, i showed him all the motocy taxi's driving against traffic and he said i was right, it's too dangerous to drive there so he let me go without a ticket.

I want to buy a new helmet size XXL or XXXL in BKK but they don't have it, if you know where i can buy one let me know. 

13 minutes ago, kannot said:

breeze in yer hair, flies in yer  teeth, grit in yer eyes etc 

Last year i drove 110 and a scooter with 2 very young boys without helmets passed me...

A minute later i got hit on me hand, on the knuckle...i thought it was a stone so don't care much but it started hurting more and more...So i stopped and checked my knuckle to see a sting in it which i pulled out...i guess a huge bumblebee or other insect collapsed on my knuckle leaving the sting in my skin....it didn't swell much, i was lucky cause i was at the other side of BKK.

But if an insect like that hits you in the face it might be very dangerous, if it hits the eye the driver might get hit KO i guess...So i ALWAYS wear my helmet and eyeprotection...i really hate stuff in my eyes, even mosquito's..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yes a helmet is warm to wear but you get used to that. They should develop tropical helmets though with much better ventilation or even a fan on solarpower.

Now i don't care if the Thai won't wear helmets, it's not a danger to me or anybody else.

Driving against traffic is a much bigger danger to me since i have to keep lept where they drive against traffic ALL DAY LONG.

Once a policeman stopped me for not keeping left, i showed him all the motocy taxi's driving against traffic and he said i was right, it's too dangerous to drive there so he let me go without a ticket.

I want to buy a new helmet size XXL or XXXL in BKK but they don't have it, if you know where i can buy one let me know. 

https://www.bangkokexpatlife.com/2016/05/where-to-find-the-best-motorcycle-helmets-in-bangkok/

Not so difficult to find i would think.

I do care if the Thai people wear ahelmet or not,if i hit one of them it will make a big difference!!!And then there is the issue of who was wrong and who has insurance or not.

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

https://www.bangkokexpatlife.com/2016/05/where-to-find-the-best-motorcycle-helmets-in-bangkok/

Not so difficult to find i would think.

I do care if the Thai people wear ahelmet or not,if i hit one of them it will make a big difference!!!And then there is the issue of who was wrong and who has insurance or not.

I've been to loads of shops but they don't have it...not in my size that is...most shops have only 1 size helmets, one size fit all they say...amazing.

I agree i have a very big head which Thai don't but hey it is what it is. Even in Europe it's hard to find one that fits me well. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Easy, do what they did when they introduced compulsory wearing of helmets in Vietnam both for the rider and all passengers. 

From day 1, anybody caught without helmet, driver or passenger and the bike was immediately confiscated

never to be seen again and no  discussion whatever.

It worked and the idea was broadly supported by Vietnamese society.

Bb

Amen to Scorecard. I was in Saigon recently and I jokingly said to my buddy “I’ll give you 20baht for every person you see not wearing a helmet.” He didn’t make one baht off of me but if I’d made the same bet here I’d be off to the poor house. Corrupt police and no enforcement so there you go. I love this place but bottom line it’s a lawless society, top to bottom.