Saturday Night on Nimmanhamin===LAME!

heybruce

I realize this is old news for many, but apparently the guidebooks haven't got the word--Nimmanhamin is dead.  I saw a number of western tourists who looked lost in the area, I think they have been misinformed.

After being away for six weeks, I ate at Rush Bar last night, the last decent Thai restaurant-bar in the area.  I then walked around to see how bad it was; it was very bad.  Mirror Cafe has closed, a small loss but one less option.  Also on the long list of the fallen is Teng-Go bar (technically not on Nimman, it was on Sirimangalachan near Victory hotel).  Also a small loss, it was a big open-air restaurant bar with pretties aggressively hustling drinks.  It wasn't great, but when bored and reluctant to call it a night I sometimes went there.

Heineken set up an area at Think Park with a screen and beer booth for viewing the World Cup, there were only a handful of sedate viewers.

Everything at the Nimman-Soi 9 intersection has been gutted and replaced by shops geared to Chinese tourists.  They did leave the teak tree standing, thankfully.  Next to the Starbucks on soi 9 is a new craft beer place, A Must something or other.  It is an indoor bar with higher prices than Beer Lab and Beer Republic.

Outside of the soi 6 bars--Tawan Daeng, Infinity and the always empty Maldives--the choice of casual, affordable Thai restaurant bars consists of Rush Bar and Warm-Up.  Just five years ago one was spoiled for choice.  I suspect that when the current lease runs out Rush Bar will leave as well.

There are still good restaurant bars with pretties, good food, good prices, and lots of young customers scattered around Chiang Mai, but I know of no area with a lot of good places within walking distance of each other.  Now people who want to go out for a night have to do a good bit of driving, or Grab taxiing if they're smart. 

Not to get off too subject...

But has anyone been in the new One Nimman?...

Is it worth a trip to?...

Resturants?...

Google Map say it has a Crocodile Museum?!..

(My guess this is a scam to sell our friends from the north handbags ?)...

How does one get to car parking?...

Edited by sfokevin

26 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I go there often and have since opening day. The only restaurant I can think of is in the hotel which has a buffet Thur-Sun. It's good most of the time but sometimes has an off night. Other than that, there is a food court in back with all the usual noodle shops, Vietnamese, Japanese and Korean stalls, a burger shop, satay shop, juice bar etc. all at quite high tourists prices as no doubt the rent is astronomical.

The crocodile thing is a shop that sells everything crocodile....purses, belts, etc.

What’s the buffet like?... Lunch or Diner?..

Price?

Edited by sfokevin

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

What’s the buffet like?... Lunch or Diner?..

Price?

Dinner only. Starts at 18:30-19:00. 290 Baht. You can also have a wine buffet for I think 150 or 190. No idea on the quality of the wine.

THe Thai food is very good. They have a salad bar, appetizers, soups, large assortment of breads and rolls, some Western foods like pasta (not so good), fruit and lots and lots of desserts. Nice atmosphere. Good value for 290.

4 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Not to get off too subject...

But has anyone been in the new One Nimman?...

Is it worth a trip to?...

Resturants?...

Google Map say it has a Crocodile Museum?!..

(My guess this is a scam to sell our friends from the north handbags ?)...

How does one get to car parking?...

Not a nightlife place, more a place for Chinese tourists to take selfies. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

Dinner only. Starts at 18:30-19:00. 290 Baht. You can also have a wine buffet for I think 150 or 190. No idea on the quality of the wine.

THe Thai food is very good. They have a salad bar, appetizers, soups, large assortment of breads and rolls, some Western foods like pasta (not so good), fruit and lots and lots of desserts. Nice atmosphere. Good value for 290.

Salad, soup, fruit and desserts for 290 baht? 

• Confused 2

The problem with Nimman, as I see it, (I live in that area), is that, compared to the quality of restaurants and shops (essentially catering to the Chinese visitors, whereas the 'old city' is still reasonably mixed as far as tourists are concerned), there are virtually no safe sidewalks, often no sidewalks, parking regulations are often not enforced; some cars drive around swerving here and there, at speed, motorbikes are often extremely, that is, very noisy. Some new hotels have no sidewalk but have car parking areas where there should be sidewalks that pedestrians could walk in safely. So the situation, for those walking around looking for somewhere to eat and shop (but often taking photos of themselves and this and that), is extremely dangerous and can be very unpleasant; quite unlike anything they will have come across in their own country.

The only thing surprising about these Nimman reports is no sightings of a man in red, with a pitchfork.

The expat club choir....in their younger years:

Edited by moontang

With the loss of the Beer Republic this area lost all its appeal.  Now it's nothing but Chinese, Chinese, Chinese.  They are slowly but surely taking over the main tourist spots in Chiang Mai.  In another four or five years Chiang Mai will be nothing more than a suberb for mainland China.  So far I have been able to avoid their rudeness, their igorance and just bad manners.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, idman said:

With the loss of the Beer Republic this area lost all its appeal.  Now it's nothing but Chinese, Chinese, Chinese.  They are slowly but surely taking over the main tourist spots in Chiang Mai.  In another four or five years Chiang Mai will be nothing more than a suberb for mainland China.  So far I have been able to avoid their rudeness, their igorance and just bad manners.

You may well be right.In our Village BWT ,Mae Hia /Hang Dong new houses, mostly huge, are springing up like mushrooms.Lots of Chinese standing around watching progress, either investors or owners.I think it is inevitable being so close to China by air that  the way CM will go.

Heard some horror stories of people with long standing businesses that come renewal of lease time are basically having no choice but to walk away.

When, and if, this happens European tourists especially the younger brigade will simply go elsewhere.

10 years ago you maybe would never have considered this happening. CNN reported only today the growth in the new elite in China and money burning a hole in their pockets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, just bob said:

I've been living on Soi 9 for a couple of years now.  Most of the quirky little shops that made this area unique are pretty much gone.  Bars and clubs closing right and left;  Mirror, Lizm, Beer Republic, Wanz, Infusion.  In their place... hotels.  And even more planned.  Eventually they will start to fail too as there won't be any reason to see the area anymore.  The failure rate on businesses is crazy.  The rents are way too high and the tourist season is way too short.  TIT.

More cheap rooms.

19 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

You may well be right.In our Village BWT ,Mae Hia /Hang Dong new houses, mostly huge, are springing up like mushrooms.Lots of Chinese standing around watching progress, either investors or owners.I think it is inevitable being so close to China by air that  the way CM will go.

Heard some horror stories of people with long standing businesses that come renewal of lease time are basically having no choice but to walk away.

When, and if, this happens European tourists especially the younger brigade will simply go elsewhere.

10 years ago you maybe would never have considered this happening. CNN reported only today the growth in the new elite in China and money burning a hole in their pockets

Vietnam may be the only country in South-East Asia that won't be overrun by Chinese.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Vietnam may be the only country in South-East Asia that won't be overrun by Chinese.

Cambodia is nearly gone, Vientienne in Laos is going.

Isaan hopefully will be the only area left not overrun by the Chinese here in Thailand...…..

Edited by thaiguzzi

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

The world's new Elite.

Inevitably,  one cannot 'rule' forever.  

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

The world's new Elite.

Inevitably,  one cannot 'rule' forever.  

Chinese/Indians/Muslims want to takeover.

Farangs need to form a resistance.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

You clearly haven’t been to Vietnam recently. Since a thaw in political relations with China a few years ago, they’re there in their droves!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

You clearly haven’t been to Vietnam recently. Since a thaw in political relations with China a few years ago, they’re there in their droves!

Darn!  I was hoping their historic hostility to China would insulate them.

Yep, Nimman is going, going, gone....soon you'll only be able to purchase dried durian and/or latex pillows.

Look at Tall Teak Plaza. Used to be alright, couple of bars, a few interesting shops, a lovely Indian restaurant, Bake & Bite.

Now it's a dump, not worth visiting.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Yipsee1 said:

The problem with Nimman, as I see it, (I live in that area), is that, compared to the quality of restaurants and shops (essentially catering to the Chinese visitors, whereas the 'old city' is still reasonably mixed as far as tourists are concerned), there are virtually no safe sidewalks, often no sidewalks, parking regulations are often not enforced; some cars drive around swerving here and there, at speed, motorbikes are often extremely, that is, very noisy. Some new hotels have no sidewalk but have car parking areas where there should be sidewalks that pedestrians could walk in safely. So the situation, for those walking around looking for somewhere to eat and shop (but often taking photos of themselves and this and that), is extremely dangerous and can be very unpleasant; quite unlike anything they will have come across in their own country.

This is so true. I live near Nimmenhaimen, and go for meals quite often. Cars zoom right by you, too close for comfort, at top speeds. It’s so obnoxious. Even farangs on motorbikes zip close by you. I’m amazed there aren’t reports of accidents, with people getting hit. 

I was was thinking it would be cool if they made it a no-car zone, just walking, and maybe people would venture over. But now I think twice about going over.

I wouldn`t want to live in that area if accommodation was provided to me for free.

Loads of non-stop heavy traffic, cramped side-walks, smoky, the area has no character at all. The Chiang Mai city centre has become dull and boring. No attractions there, it`s becoming run down and is started to show.

I heard the Spotlight go,go has shut down and moved somewhere else, is that true?

Edited by cyberfarang

10 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

This is so true. I live near Nimmenhaimen, and go for meals quite often. Cars zoom right by you, too close for comfort, at top speeds. It’s so obnoxious. Even farangs on motorbikes zip close by you. I’m amazed there aren’t reports of accidents, with people getting hit. 

I was was thinking it would be cool if they made it a no-car zone, just walking, and maybe people would venture over. But now I think twice about going over.

Brilliant idea. Imagine how the Nimman streets would liven up if there was no traffic, even for one night a week? Not holding my breath, the one way system which was in place for a while, and actually a huge relief, was cancelled as well.

Then there's the constant demolitions and renovations. It's never ending. And no longevity to speak of, only a handful of businesses are trading long enough to establish brand loyalty. 

Are Nimmanhaemin retailers uniting to at least try to take a little control over their area? A traffic-free day should be first on the agenda. It's going downhill fast with landlords selling out to Chinese who create shops for Chinese. Soon only cheap cosmetics, dried durian and latex pillows for sale!

Signage only in Chinese, how disrespectful to Thailand!

At least there are rays of hope near the Sirimangkalajarn end with some interesting restaurants and shops opening due to lower rents, but for how long?

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, heybruce said:

It's in the process though.  Chinese are buying land there through companies and there is talk of a 99 year land lease for foreigners.  The Chinese are also investing heavily in the US.  My guess is they will take over the world unless they're stopped.

Edited by Kelsall

21 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

It's in the process though.  Chinese are buying land there through companies and there is talk of a 99 year land lease for foreigners.  The Chinese are also investing heavily in the US.  My guess is they will take over the world unless they're stopped.

Trump is trying yet gets attacked for fighting back.

• Like 2