Singaporean cyclist killed in Chiang Mai

webfact

Singaporean cyclist killed in Thailand

David Sun

SINGAPORE (THE NEW PAPER) - He was a competitive cyclist who had taken part in numerous regional competitions for more than 20 years.

But retired businessman Denison Seah, 57, was killed in an accident on Sunday morning (July 1) while on a casual ride in Chiang Mai, Thailand, where he had been living for the last three years.

The Singaporean was cycling with his Thai girlfriend when he was reportedly hit by a five-tonne lorry on a two-lane road.

Full story:  https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singaporean-cyclist-killed-in-thailand

-- THE STRAITS TIMES 2018-2018-07-02

Another sad story in many.

Bicycle riders are treated even more ignorant than motorcycles.

Basically non existing.

You might remember two stories of round the world riders whose journey ended fatally in Thailand after they had almost finished.

Another thread from today were a woman on a bicycle was killed in a hit and run accident and probably run over by at least another driver who also fled the scene.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, chiangmaiexpat said:

Sad news. Although Chiang Mai is a major destination for cyclists from all over Thailand and Asia, road safety doesn't seem to have improved a bit for cyclists here. I will stick to mountain biking in the hills to avoid the traffic.

Cheers, CMX

Key words showing the reality

'Doesnt seem to have '

Cyclists get killed all over the world every day.

We have no idea what really happened. 

Poor man has paid a price.

Given the numbers flocking there it isnt putting that many off despite the 'alleged' danger

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

That's very tragic, Chiang Mai is a cycling hub for riders from all over the world.  No details on how the accident happened, in normal circumstances you would have to wobble or fall into the path of the truck, or bounce off , or be 'pushed ' into the road by a car parked on the hard shoulder/bike lane. Usually trucks are well into the road, and don't occupy the same space as cyclists. I've seen many cyclists riding 2 or even 3 abreast in Thailand.  I only ride singe file here, and I'm as close to the grass as it's safe to get. It's good to see that there are none of the usual 'cycling in Thailand is suicide' comments here, let's hope they refrain from making an unwelcome appearance this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Sorry, but cycling in Thailand is like rolling the dice each time. So many reports like this with cyclists being taken out by some moron.

1279777192_Rollthedice.jpg.69d17e1f7d1c38bb31fcbec8584d3072.jpg

I went riding all the time when I lived in Chiang Mai and never had any problems or felt particularly unsafe. I did mostly stick to quiet and rural back roads, though.

• Like 1

Yes no mention of what happened...Let's see; early Sunday morning, end of month (payday weekend), Thai commercial lorry driver....hmmm.....nah I'm sure he wasn't hungover/still drunk...

Rip Sg.cycle guy...

?

12 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

That's very tragic, Chiang Mai is a cycling hub for riders from all over the world.  No details on how the accident happened, in normal circumstances you would have to wobble or fall into the path of the truck, or bounce off , or be 'pushed ' into the road by a car parked on the hard shoulder/bike lane. Usually trucks are well into the road, and don't occupy the same space as cyclists. I've seen many cyclists riding 2 or even 3 abreast in Thailand.  I only ride single file here, and I'm as close to the grass as it's safe to get. It's good to see that there are none of the usual 'cycling in Thailand is suicide' comments here, let's hope they refrain from making an unwelcome appearance this time.

Agree. Good to hear from an experienced cyclist, instead of the know-nothing fear-mongers. I would add that, for my own safety, I stick to small rural roads as much as possible. At least there, the speed differential is a lot smaller. I pass more grannies on motorcycles than pass me. 

I would also like to know more about the truck and driver. Any driver on that road should heed the warning signs about sharing the road with cyclists.

Bad driving by truck driver who did not factor width of shovel extending over side of truck onto cycle path. Kind of a 'freak' accident but chap dead, nonetheless.

I've found almost impossible to see behind me when cycling. Enough trouble ahead. 

Looks as if it is a very narrow stretch on road with a sand/gravel shoulder. Not a cycle-path. I doubt our Singapoean friend was riding on the shoulder. 

Even if walking there one would have to be mindful of what is approaching from behind. 

Even one of those sticky-out flag reflector things wouldn't have helped much.

13 hours ago, hmficc said:

Only a fool would ride in CM.

he said from his barstool.

Or, maybe I'm wrong. Tell us about your vast expertise that qualifies you to offer this assesment.

• Like 2

I would add that if you are going to ride a bicycle in Chiang Mai be it in the city or outside have at least enough common sense to wear a helmet, gloves.  Everyday I see these Western dipsh..its riding wearing only a singlet, shorts, filp flops and worst of all listening to music.  It's not a matter of it but when you are going to regret your stupidity.

1 hour ago, idman said:

I would add that if you are going to ride a bicycle in Chiang Mai be it in the city or outside have at least enough common sense to wear a helmet, gloves.  Everyday I see these Western dipsh..its riding wearing only a singlet, shorts, filp flops and worst of all listening to music.  It's not a matter of it but when you are going to regret your stupidity.

I don't think any of that will save you from a mechanical digger shovel blade on the back of a lorry hitting you in the head as it overtakes.