Trump will tell NATO nations U.S. cannot be the world's piggy bank

webfact

5 hours ago, JCauto said:

Really quite amazing to observe how well the dissemination of confusing information and propaganda has worked. Here are today's Right, pleased at the prospect of a Europe dominated by an autocratic and corrupt Russia, abandoning trustworthy allies of decades for the villains they've been competing against. Dutch Reagan would not believe his eyes if he somehow came back to observe this pathetic spectacle.

With all due respect, that post is a pile of excrement. Why on Earth should Americans care (spend) more on the Europeans than they would choose to care (spend)  on themselves?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, lannarebirth said:

With all due respect, that post is a pile of excrement. Why on Earth should Americans care (spend) more on the Europeans than they would choose to care (spend)  on themselves?

Your post has little to do with my point, which is how the Right are now parroting policy that is directly opposite to what they have had as core values for 75 years. Interesting how easy it is to abandon these principles. Never mind the moral ones.

The issue with regards to the "2%" has been adequately debunked by the NY Times article. How anyone could take anything that Trump says seriously without it being thoroughly fact-checked by a reputable media source is mind boggling. Even most of his supporters understand that he will say anything at any time. Apparently this is part of his genius at negotiation.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Your post has little to do with my point, which is how the Right are now parroting policy that is directly opposite to what they have had as core values for 75 years. Interesting how easy it is to abandon these principles. Never mind the moral ones.

The issue with regards to the "2%" has been adequately debunked by the NY Times article. How anyone could take anything that Trump says seriously without it being thoroughly fact-checked by a reputable media source is mind boggling. Even most of his supporters understand that he will say anything at any time. Apparently this is part of his genius at negotiation.

I don't take aything Trump says seriously, nor should anyone else. I haven't read the NY Times article but if it suggests that Euorpean nations are paying anywhere near their fair share of NATO costs it is likely bullshit. America should be paying 25%-30% of NATO costs at most.

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I don't take aything Trump says seriously, nor should anyone else. I haven't read the NY Times article but if it suggests that Euorpean nations are paying anywhere near their fair share of NATO costs it is likely bullshit. America should be paying 25%-30% of NATO costs at most.

Well, maybe you don't take his threats of massive tariff impositions seriously but the Europeans certainly do. And somehow, I don't think the best way to get them to be cooperative is to constantly engage in threats and opprobrium.

18 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, you're going to be pleased to hear that the US only pays 22% of NATO costs. So you should have no issues at all I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Well, maybe you don't take his threats of massive tariff impositions seriously but the Europeans certainly do. And somehow, I don't think the best way to get them to be cooperative is to constantly engage in threats and opprobrium.

Were we talking about tariffs?

8 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Well, you're going to be pleased to hear that the US only pays 22% of NATO costs. So you should have no issues at all I guess.

I do not have any issues at all  at 22%, not that I believe that is the true cost or that most of those other countries that America pays to defend would be able to mutually defend America if needed.

Still, I think you'll agree that 22% is more than it should be.

It would be nice if we could free up some money for our citizen's healthcare, the same as our overpaying for everything has freed up those monies for their citizens healthcare.

Edited by lannarebirth

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, the bizarre thing is on the one hand Trump wants to disengage the USA from a big share of its current defense obligations, but on the other wants to massively build up the military. What exactly for?

Robust home defence vs World's Cop. It's aligned with the entire Trump populist agitprop. 

12 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Were we talking about tariffs?

We were talking about our allies. And I pointed out that angering them over tariffs is not a good way to get cooperation elsewhere. You may not think those economic issues and defense issues are related, but try telling that to the democratically elected leaders of other nations.

10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I do not have any issues at all  at 22%, not that I believe that is the true cost or that most of those other countries that America pays to defend would be able to mutually defend America if needed.

It would be nice if we could free up some money for our citizen's healthcare, the same as our overpaying for everything has freed up those monies for their citizens healthcare.

That's right. The problem is NATO. Not the massive tax giveway to the wealthy or the fact that Trump is sharply increasing military spending.

5 hours ago, alanrchase said:

NATO allies have broken no promises, the agreement gives them until 2024 to  achieve spending of 2% GDP. Since its formation the NATO allies have generally been used to do the bidding of the USA. Does anyone believe the US would cut spending and reduce its military if NATO allies spent more?

Actually, most NATO countries already are spending the 2% and more. It is

simply an accounting issue. The USA puts it's Veterans medical bills into the military budget. The EU countries put it in the national health budget.

If the EU uses the same accounting methods as the USA that lifts there

military spending over the 2% mark.

Edited by Ulic
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

The US economy is roughly the same size as the EU's. So why is 22% too much?

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump will tell NATO nations U.S. cannot be the world's piggy bank

Trump's use of "piggy bank" is quite amusing as he busted whatever remained of that bank with his 2018 tax plan that added immediately $2 trillion to US debt and eventually add an additional $18 trillion to the national debt. http://fortune.com/2018/03/15/us-national-debt-trump-tax-cuts/

His tax plan was predicated on the US GDP growing at 5% pa. With his recent tariff war with US allies including the NATO members, that piggy isn't coming home anytime soon, NATO or not.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

NATO countries need to pay their fair share. Trump is absolutely correct in stating that America will no longer be the world's piggy bank. 

Is that the piggy bank that nearly <deleted> the world economy and would of had they not been bailed out?

1 hour ago, starky said:

Is that the piggy bank that nearly <deleted> the world economy and would of had they not been bailed out?

So that's why the banking in the EU had a meltdown. It was the fault of the United States and not their own very unwise loans.

18 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Yes, clearly a major priority for the current Congress, hence their decision to try to gut health care funding in order to pay for the Trillion Dollar Tax Cut for the Rich and Corporations. Your current administration clearly has no interest in providing additional funding for health care, they're proposing to cut billions of dollars from it instead in the House budget.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Piggy banks is where money is put.

No just put but "saved."

Just because you put money in a bank (US Treasury in this case) doesn't mean you have no debt. When the US had a budget surplus is when it truly had a "piggy bank."

- The U.S. government suffered budget deficits every year from 1970 through 1997.
- Democrat Bill Clinton was president in 1998, when the government finally recorded a surplus.
- There also were budget surpluses in 1999, 2000 and in 2001. 2001 was the last year the Clinton administration proposed the budget.
- Republican George W. Bush succeeded Clinton in 2001. The United States had a budget deficit in 2002, and it has recorded budget deficits every year since.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/03/cnn-fact-check-the-last-president-to-balance-the-budget/

Only Clinton had a piggy bank.

And yet somehow the US survived the NATO budget deficits while enjoying and profiting from European economic stability.