All Aussie Related Stuff (excluding the old age pension)

21 minutes ago, simple1 said:

As an example additional funding for NewStart was not provided in the 2019 budget, even though most Australians would consider the current rates appallingly low. Same with the very aggressive payment reductions if someone on an Age Pension has a partner who is working. One would really struggle day to day if no access to additional funds for whatever reasons e.g. investment failure / fraud. Don't recall the detail, but there have been a number of attempts by the Liberals to make life harder for pensioners and others which Labor have managed to block during the course of Liberal governments since Abbott came to power.

You may be interested in the Liberal's 2019 policy plan.

https://www.liberal.org.au/our-plan

Thanks, all very interesting, my main interest is a report (1 year ago, not sure) that the DVA (Dept., of Veteran Affairs) would be disbanded and their remit be dovetailed into Centrelink.

Apparently it's up for a major decision coming soon.

Like it or not, and some non-vets don't, veterans receive a lot of care and support from the DVA (I know, I'm one of them), and any suggestion that it be disbanded is frightening to say the least. 

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Do the libs have a stated agenda to reduce welfare, anything specific stated? Serious question.

If anything they have increased welfare even further for retirees by proposing that those aged 66 & 67 even if not working can add more money to their superannuation

28 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

If anything they have increased welfare even further for retirees by proposing that those aged 66 & 67 even if not working can add more money to their superannuation

You're talking to personal funds, not Welfare. Personally wasn't aware one was previously blocked from routing funds from other investments into Super based upon age.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You're talking to personal funds, not Welfare. Personally wasn't aware one was previously blocked from routing funds from other investments into Super based upon age.

You can't contribute to superannuation unless you're working. This proposal changes that test

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

You can't contribute to superannuation unless you're working. This proposal changes that test

OK, but more clarification on criteria below,  not as black and white as you infer.

https://www.afr.com/personal-finance/superannuation-and-smsfs/do-you-need-to-work-to-contribute-to-super-20190122-h1achv

• Like 1

Oh you mean this story - https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/labor-leader-bill-shorten-vows-to-raise-the-newstart-allowance-rate-and-backs-his-tax-agenda/news-story/83a74cb2e49d74b33ab30e8277821ae5?

Shorten says it needs to be raised. Quite separately the Australian Council of Social Services give an example of what a rise of $75 "would mean".  Shorten's promising nothing except a review

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

My paper says he has “vowed to raise”, it doesn’t say “needs to be raised”.

"Vowed to raise" or "Needs to be raised" - there's no figure given. You're confusing what he's promised to do with a completely different organisation hypothesising about what the raise might be

Edited by ThaiBunny
"Vowed to raise" or "Needs to be raised" - there's no figure given. You're confusing what he's promised to do with a completely different organisation hypothesising about what the raise might be

Good you now agree with me that he has “vowed to raise”.
$75pw was mentioned in the same newspaper article, but who knows exactly how much it will be.
Bottom line is that it may be good news if going back to AU for the dole - as I stated in a previous post.
Have a good day. Time for prepare for Winx’s last race!

Has anyone applied for an O-A visa from the Sydney Consulate recently? Getting ready to do my second one and it has changed a bit.

Main change seems it does not require a medical certificate.

And now costs AUD$550. 

I'm sure I paid AUD$225 2 years ago.

Edited by rhodie
3 hours ago, rhodie said:

Has anyone applied for an O-A visa from the Sydney Consulate recently? Getting ready to do my second one and it has changed a bit.

Main change seems it does not require a medical certificate.

And now costs AUD$550. 

I'm sure I paid AUD$225 2 years ago.

Both the Sydney & Canberra consulates quote $275 - not sure where you're seeing $550.  The Sydney consulate doesn't list a medical certificate and now wants only one copy and one set of originals, The Canberra consulate (yes, I know it's part of the Embassy), still wants a medical certificate and still wants two copies and one set of originals. Go figure

http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96010-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Edited by ThaiBunny
4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Both the Sydney & Canberra consulates quote $275 - not sure where you're seeing $550.  The Sydney consulate doesn't list a medical certificate and now wants only one copy and one set of originals, The Canberra consulate (yes, I know it's part of the Embassy), still wants a medical certificate and still wants two copies and one set of originals. Go figure

http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96010-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Not going to argue, and I hope you are right, but..

cost.jpg.5e11f2d2bb6dec77de40223b8220f275.jpg

Note the last entry on the latest form. $275 for ME, which I assume is 6 months. "Retirement only" $550. Before 6 month and OA were $225. The old form below. Note $225 and that was for 1 year too. As I say, I hope you are right.

old.jpg.9805e0925fc878518f734eab6c48ad33.jpg

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Interesting disconnect between what's on one page and another. Moral of the story - lodge via Canberra

OK, so here is the Canberra form. As with everything Thailand, nothing is ever logical or straight forward. There is a download link specifically for retirees "Visa application form for retirees".

Not sure when you did your application, but I suspect it is now AUD$550 even in Canberra. Seems correct as I remember reading an American posting a price of US$400 for the OA there.

Canberra.jpg.9e174d5b634cfff46838d94065df0bbe.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
The 2 yr rule is just plain wrong. They have increased my retirement age to 67. So if I go back to Oz at 65 go on the dole & get the pension at 67 I am OK to come back to LOS. However you can't qualify here on the Oz pension anyway. Australia is somewhere near the bottom of the list of pension payments in the world...

As I previously mentioned, the ALP have “vowed” to raise the dole if elected next week.
Unions and the Australian Council of Social Service want a weekly $75 increase to the fortnightly rate.

Cannot qualify to live in Thailand on the Oz pension coz the AUD is so abysmally low.  Tipped to go lower too - RBA are going to have to cut the official interest rate; NZ have already done so.  And if China calls Trump's 'art of the deal' bluff and they go full-out trade war, we'll be back to calling the AUD 'the south pacific peso' IMO.  

On the election, this handy 'smart vote' tool helps identify who you might want to vote for - I've used it for the Senate, I'd love to see some maverick independent representing my state so we get lots of money thrown at us, like Tasmania keeps managing to do.  

https://australia.smartvote.org/en/home

(Love how there's an 'EN' - English - specific URL helping you vote in an Australian election!)    

Tried looking up the "manifestos" of the independents in my state, about half of them have nothing published that I can find.  Why bother nominating, what chance anyone will vote for you?

Edited by moojar
1 hour ago, moojar said:

Cannot qualify to live in Thailand on the Oz pension coz the AUD is so abysmally low.  Tipped to go lower too - RBA are going to have to cut the official interest rate; NZ have already done so.  And if China calls Trump's 'art of the deal' bluff and they go full-out trade war, we'll be back to calling the AUD 'the south pacific peso' IMO.  

ABC analysis piece published this morning:

Reserve Bank rate cuts almost a certainty as it slashes economic outlook

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-10/future-interest-rate-cut-likely-rba-releases-economic-forecast/11095752

2 hours ago, moojar said:

Cannot qualify to live in Thailand on the Oz pension coz the AUD is so abysmally low. 

The long-term average for the AUD vs THB is 25, with variations around 10% either way. It's currently just a tad below 22.5% so roughly 10% below its long term average.  The full Australian single pension for those not resident in Australia is $843.60 plus $68.50 Supplement - $912.10 as at the latest increase. If you're not resident in Australia you're not entitled to the $14 Energy supplement

At the average exchange rate you would get 22,800 baht per fortnight. At the current exchange rate you would get roughly 20,500 per fortnight. At best you could hope for 25,000 baht per fortnight. Basically you're saying that 10,000 baht per month (the difference between the maximum probable amount and the minimum probable amount) is what stands between you and "qualifying to live" in Thailand?? The maximum fortnightly amount is still only 50,000 baht for four weeks which if you make it a monthly amount, and 54,000 per calendar month if you apply the normal multiplier to change 4 weeks to calendar month.  I understood the "qualification to live in Thailand" to be 65,000 baht per month.  The pension amount itself, no matter what the exchange rate of AUD/THB, is what stands between you and being qualified to live in Thailand

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

The long-term average for the AUD vs THB is 25, with variations around 10% either way. It's currently just a tad below 22.5% so roughly 10% below its long term average.  The full Australian single pension for those not resident in Australia is $843.60 plus $68.50 Supplement - $912.10 as at the latest increase. If you're not resident in Australia you're not entitled to the $14 Energy supplement

At the average exchange rate you would get 22,800 baht per fortnight. At the current exchange rate you would get roughly 20,500 per fortnight. At best you could hope for 25,000 baht per fortnight. Basically you're saying that 10,000 baht per month (the difference between the maximum probable amount and the minimum probable amount) is what stands between you and "qualifying to live" in Thailand?? The maximum fortnightly amount is still only 50,000 baht for four weeks which if you make it a monthly amount, and 54,000 per calendar month if you apply the normal multiplier to change 4 weeks to calendar month.  I understood the "qualification to live in Thailand" to be 65,000 baht per month.  The pension amount itself, no matter what the exchange rate of AUD/THB, is what stands between you and being qualified to live in Thailand

When overseas for more than six weeks or going overseas permanently AAP Supplement drops to $36.70.

Therefore AAP is $880.30 for non residents.

• Like 1