Give The British Divers Who Found the Kids And Their Instructor In The Cave Thai Citizenship And The Highest Civilian Medal.

AdamTheFarang

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Volunteer

A person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.

A person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

Job

A piece of work, especially a specific task done as part of the routine of one's occupation or for an agreed price:

Anything a person is expected or obliged to do; duty; responsibility:

The Americans in Thailand are not volunteers. They are being paid by their government. Having said that  i praise and commend their effort. The commitment that everyone has shown is tremendous. 

Goodness...

Well done!

• Like 1

Sure, they should get  a bravery award but has it occurred to AdamthFarang that they may not want Thai citizenship? Not everyone would believe that this is a high honour. They may for example be philosophically republican. Accepting Thai citizenship could inhibit their freedom of thought and expression.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

Meanwhile, there's mention in another post of unqualified "helpers" pumping water back INTO the cave. 

There's a reason for requiring permits.  Another good one is to prevent unqualified drone hobbyists from crashing into the professionally operated drones, and the into general public.

I do understand what you are saying, and there is no easy answer to this, when there are a lot of lives at risk, and a lot of people trying to help, but some of them unqualified, and time could be required to save these lives, it is not the time to start looking at rulebooks, so an excuse can be made to show their authority, we all know what Thais in uniform are like where that's concerned, some rescuers could do some damage unintentional, but chances have to be taken, nothing is going to be perfect.

1 hour ago, oldrunner said:

Make that a "room temperature" beer, thank you. Brits don't go for "Ice cold" beer.

Yes I am quite sure those Brits will go home to a nice cool beer. 

Some help to get you started with thinking outside of the box :-

Serving temperatures

35–40°F (2–3°C): Mass market light lagers, tasteless yellow piss
40–45°F (4–7°C): Czech and German Pilsners, Munich Helles, wheat beers, and Kölsch
45–50°F (7–10°C): IPAs, American pale ales, porters, and most stouts
50–55°F (10–13°C): Belgian ales, sour ales, Bocks, English bitters and milds, Scottish ales
55–60°F (13–16°C): Barleywines, imperial stouts, Belgian strong ales, and Doppelbocks

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Confused 1

I'm sure that the foreign teams would have been happy with the one thing timing will not allow.....

Being guests at a multiple village party being together to meet, watch, and celebrate with the reunited villagers and the reunited families.....As only the Thai culture does....

I wasn't involved in any way, shape, or form (outside of willing them safe & a few prayers)....

But, if I had been, that celebration would've been one of the highlight pages of my life and been plenty enough for me....

I don't think anyone of them are fishing for accolades....I'm also sure thank you's will be sent via the proper official channels....

34 minutes ago, tomta said:

Sure, they should get  a bravery award but has it occurred to AdamthFarang that they may not want Thai citizenship? Not everyone would believe that this is a high honour. They may for example be philosophically republican. Accepting Thai citizenship could inhibit their freedom of thought and expression.

I think the rewards will follow in the fulness of time...it usually happens that  way..

"philosophically republican"?No awards given out  in France and the USA?

Never mind..I knew that you were joking...,

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Meanwhile, there's mention in another post of unqualified "helpers" pumping water back INTO the cave. 

There's a reason for requiring permits.  Another good one is to prevent unqualified drone hobbyists from crashing into the professionally operated drones, and the into general public.

whilst i agree to your post   i think you are unaware how long such permits take to obtain  they would be waiting 3 months later  due to form filling and multi copies required   i wont go into possible   gifting to grease the system/wheels

11 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

The coach led the kids into danger.

Endangered the lives of all the rescuers.

Has cost somebody an absolute fortune.

Throw the book at the idiot.

It doesn't matter how hard you through the book, it is based on intent, being an idiot is not a crime.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It doesn't matter how hard you through the book, it is based on intent, being an idiot is not a crime.

It is when you are entrusted with the safety of young children.

A blatant dereliction of duty.

22 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sure..in 1967 it was big laugh..

Otherwise they are doing an extremely dangerous job..

You do realize what the concept of "dangerous job" is.don't you?

Yup, I do.  767 dives around the world Including Truk wrecks to the engine room of each wreck if obtainable, deepest on non-mixed gasses 207ft.  A bit of levity helps take the edge off the fact that you are so serious for such a long period of time.  These are unique individuals and I highly respect them for their efforts. Yup I do..

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Cake Monster said:

I suspect that the last thing any of these heroic guys would want is a load of hype and attention bought upon their acts of bravery.

A cold beer would be more valued by them and a simple  " Thank you " would suffice 

I think from reports that I read they made it clear they wouldn't be doing media interviews, true heroes.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 6:13 AM, Fish Head Soup said:

I feel sorry for these guys to be honest. If you have read up about them they are not people who want or enjoy being in the limelight, they just love doing their hobby which is cave diving. They have become known for a long time as being extremely proficient at what they do.

They are volunteers for cave rescue in the UK, it is a charity which is run entirely on donations from the public. They are not doing this for money, fame, or to prove a point. They hear of someone in trouble, in a world where they are optimal operators, and they see a chance to help someone out of a bad situation in a place they know their skills and experience are possibly the persons only chance of survival, or in worse circumstances to recover the body for the family (as happened in France).

They have been called upon by foreign governments in the past, and they have gone and done what they do and then they have left, people in the caving world know them, what they have done etc, but don't make a fuss, they don't want it.

They will find all the media attention extremely intrusive I'm sure. Of course it's understandable that we all want to know about them, but maybe they just want some privacy, and just to be left alone to do what they do.

Nice post, well considered.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, grollies said:

Nice post, well considered.

Yes...true heroes.

Ever considered that the Victoria Cross,Albert Medal and the George Medal are not splashy things?

You do it-and the jobs done.

Edited by Odysseus123

Are the British divers still up there ? Too many people involved now to tell .  

And no , they should not receive any award yet until the boys are out of the cave.