English-speaking footballer trapped in Tham Luang cave is academic polymath, says teacher

snoop1130

"The studies focus on enabling the students to communicate rather than on the grammar, the teacher said."

That's how all languages ought to be taught. Learning grammar is mostly counter-productive. You can tell when people learn by grammar because they speak really slow and with a heavy accent. 

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And most of the time it's wrong, meaning you have to question them a couple of times to work out what they are trying to say to you.

English has it's roots in five major languages each one with different grammar rules/roots.

It confuses native speakers a lot of the time.

Quite a few expats I know use grammar much more worserer than I.

??

Worserer, lol. Never heard that before. Had to google it. You learn something new everyday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"People praised him for being fluent in English..."

Obviously, he didn't spend 4 years at Kentucky State University "earning a degree" that should have required one being fluent in English. 

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

But of all those expats, which nationality comes across as the worstest.

Once in a bar in Buenos Aires I had this German guy ask me (in a heavy German accent): "But how did you know I was from Germany?". I dunno, just a lucky guess I guess. 

French people can be pretty bad too. 

Edited by tumama
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tumama said:

"The studies focus on enabling the students to communicate rather than on the grammar, the teacher said."

That's how all languages ought to be taught. Learning grammar is mostly counter-productive. You can tell when people learn by grammar because they speak really slow and with a heavy accent. 

Point taken, on the other hand there are many excellent progressive , course books nowadays, often with cartoon drawings to get the attention of younger kids or other drawings foradults, and the drawings often set the stage for a language needs scenario.

All of this is used to teach the functions of English in a structured and progressive system (real meaningful situational conversations and discussions, giving of instructions, asking and answering questions etc.) which have grammar points built into the structure of the words and phrases being taught and hopefully immediately verbalised and verbally practiced many times to lock it all into place.

I have three Thai grandchildren, they all speak perfect Thai and perfect English, they were all lucky to have excellent properly trained western 

English teachers plus I carefully followed what they were learning (word, phrases etc.,) at school (from their course books) and I made further reinforcement phrases, sentences etc., at home and luckily their Thai father, my son, also speaks excellent English and he quickly picked up my verbal reinforcement at home and copied it. Plus they had the bonus of being immersed in English at home every day, listening to their father and me always conversing in English and trying hard to never speak in broken English.

None of the well trained well experienced western English teachers actually gave grammar lessons.

But my oldest granddaughter had, for 2 years, both a western English teacher and a Thai teacher for English grammar. The Thai teacher continuously made errors in trying to put the grammar into use in spoken phrases and sentences. The kids knew that but of course never said anything.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Point taken, on the other hand there's are many excellent course books which teach the function of English (real meaningful conversation and discussion, giving instructions etc.) which have grammar points built into the structure of the words and phrases being taught and hopefully immediately verbalised and verbally practices many times to lock it all into place.

Agreed. Hence the use of the word mostly. Spanish is hard to learn without knowing some basic verb conjugations. 

Not to worry, there's still a few Brits there who will make sure the months in the cave are spent learning proper grammar. The only problem is how to get them in there without ruining their three piece tweed suits.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes,by crikey..

Just hammer away at it and most people will understand..unless they're on TV of course..nobody get's it right!Not..Jutes,Angles,Saxons,Normans,Georgians,Victorians or internet weirdos

Wasn't it great when the Thai boy responded to the British diver?Wasn't it just..goddam*...great??

*"Goddams" was what the French called the English in the 15th  century-for very obvious reasons.

If you're referring to the Reformation, that would have been the 16th century. 

• Sad 1