The haunting of dubious politicians

webfact

41 minutes ago, manarak said:

1- no, since his buying of small parties, bribing voters, etc. assured him of the support of enough voters to back him

2- a parliament where his party held the majority?

3- same as above

4- that's a nice fake argument, there is no prosecution without investigation and guess who controlled the police and ministry of interior, justice?

5- I'm sure that would be considered intervening in politics, a thing the throne doesn't do.

no, Thaksin didn't corner his voters, he bought them. and no, that sort of "gaining support" is not just what happens in a democratic system. most of Thaksin's methods for "gaining support" are illegal in democracies.

Thaksin effectively cornered Thailand's democratic institutions.

NONE of the methods you listed above would have worked to remove Thaksin or his cronies. Thaksin is just the head of the hydra, remove him and another one grows in his place. The "Thaksin system" and it's accomplices was the problem - let's hope Thailand got rid of it.

One thing is dead sure, Thaksin's popularity does not come from vote buying, it comes from the fact that he was the first politician that actually invested in large parts of the country, outside of Bangkok. 

People that attribute his popularity to vote buying, simply do not know this country, and do not know the people that actually voted for him. How could someone be so far removed from reality ?

So no, Thaksin did not buy his voters, he won their hearts, and he won them very consistently for almost two decades. Partly his policies, partly the utter repulsive opposition. 

The simple way to remove Thaksin or his proxies is to appeal to the voters, but the point is, the other side does not want to appeal to those voters, in their eyes, they are som tam eating peasants who have no right to vote. And I quoted the last sentence with some reservation, as some of the remarks were less respectful. 

The people trying to get rid of Thaksin, are the ones to be feared, not Thaksin, he is just a common criminal with a bit of money, easy to circumvent. 

The other side has twice removed him by illegal means, making them much worse then the disease they are trying to cure, and in the process, showing an utter disrespect of the people of Thailand that voted him in consistently for the past 15 years. Any democrat should be shocked by such methods. It simply is indefensible, no matter how hard one tries. 

Maybe just maybe it is time to respect the decision of the majority of Thai citizens, after all each country deserves the government it chooses. The reason why that respect is lacking, is because of a small, very powerful part of the population that wants the power for themselves, without trying to seek an electoral mandate. How many times they need to do the same before misguided souls see it, is beyond me. 

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

One thing is dead sure, Thaksin's popularity does not come from vote buying, it comes from the fact that he was the first politician that actually invested in large parts of the country, outside of Bangkok. 

People that attribute his popularity to vote buying, simply do not know this country, and do not know the people that actually voted for him. How could someone be so far removed from reality ?

So no, Thaksin did not buy his voters, he won their hearts, and he won them very consistently for almost two decades. Partly his policies, partly the utter repulsive opposition. 

The simple way to remove Thaksin or his proxies is to appeal to the voters, but the point is, the other side does not want to appeal to those voters, in their eyes, they are som tam eating peasants who have no right to vote. And I quoted the last sentence with some reservation, as some of the remarks were less respectful. 

The people trying to get rid of Thaksin, are the ones to be feared, not Thaksin, he is just a common criminal with a bit of money, easy to circumvent. 

The other side has twice removed him by illegal means, making them much worse then the disease they are trying to cure, and in the process, showing an utter disrespect of the people of Thailand that voted him in consistently for the past 15 years. Any democrat should be shocked by such methods. It simply is indefensible, no matter how hard one tries. 

Maybe just maybe it is time to respect the decision of the majority of Thai citizens, after all each country deserves the government it chooses. The reason why that respect is lacking, is because of a small, very powerful part of the population that wants the power for themselves, without trying to seek an electoral mandate. How many times they need to do the same before misguided souls see it, is beyond me. 

yeah... what's wrong with a corrupt multi-billionaire politician who orders people killed, embezzles money, commits fraud and issues populist policies detrimental to the country to bribe "win the hearts" of voters ??? it's vote buying, no more,no less. Many votes were bought directly, i.e. 500 baht cash to vote for Thaksin, many other voters were bought had their hearts won over with low rate loans, rice price subsidies, etc. If you believe these voters understand or care for the long term, you are mistaken.

I hope Thailand will see some real democrats emerge, not the likes of Thaksin. They need to eradicate large scale government corruption and find leaders who will initiate sustainable policies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manarak said:
yeah... what's wrong with a corrupt multi-billionaire politician who orders people killed, embezzles money, commits fraud and issues populist policies detrimental to the country to bribe "win the hearts" of voters ??? it's vote buying, no more,no less. Many votes were bought directly, i.e. 500 baht cash to vote for Thaksin, many other voters were bought had their hearts won over with low rate loans, rice price subsidies, etc. If you believe these voters understand or care for the long term, you are mistaken.

I hope Thailand will see some real democrats emerge, not the likes of Thaksin. They need to eradicate large scale government corruption and find leaders who will initiate sustainable policies.

Hmm, if populist policies equals vote buying, all parties and juntas are guilty. Especially the current lot, who depleted Thailand's reserves and crippled the economy, up to a point where the growth rate is substantially lower as neighboring countries. The current lot did this without a valid mandate. The only people that should be able to get rid of Thaksin is the Thai electorate. But they have been placed offside twice by people who are not fit to run a bridge club, let alone a country...

As to those voters caring for the long term, they have shown they do, four successive elections and counting. At least the Junta does not seem to make the mistake to underestimate Thaksin's electoral popularity. 

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Edited by sjaak327

7 hours ago, manarak said:

That vote buying nugget just keep swirling around the toilet bowl and refused to be flushed down. Just how many analysts on both sides have refuted that fact that paying voters don't guarantee that they vote for you. Even the Dem's high ranked office bearers like Alongkon and Korn have admitted that notion that paying voters will not win election. If paying is the formula for wining election, the wealth of the establishment with their support from the wealthiest corporations would have won all the elections hands down. Thaksin wealth is pittance against these wealthy elites. 

10 hours ago, manarak said:

1- no, since his buying of small parties, bribing voters, etc. assured him of the support of enough voters to back him

2- a parliament where his party held the majority?

3- same as above

4- that's a nice fake argument, there is no prosecution without investigation and guess who controlled the police and ministry of interior, justice?

5- I'm sure that would be considered intervening in politics, a thing the throne doesn't do.

no, Thaksin didn't corner his voters, he bought them. and no, that sort of "gaining support" is not just what happens in a democratic system. most of Thaksin's methods for "gaining support" are illegal in democracies.

Thaksin effectively cornered Thailand's democratic institutions.

NONE of the methods you listed above would have worked to remove Thaksin or his cronies. Thaksin is just the head of the hydra, remove him and another one grows in his place. The "Thaksin system" and it's accomplices was the problem - let's hope Thailand got rid of it.

Manarak, you display all the symptoms of paranoia and magical thinking. A hydra  headed monster! An unbeatable system with tentacles everywhere. Delusional,

8 minutes ago, tomta said:

Manarak, you display all the symptoms of paranoia and magical thinking. A hydra  headed monster! An unbeatable system with tentacles everywhere. Delusional,

He is not so delusional as you might think... he is right that there is a hydra headed monster in Thailand and its called corruption. As long as you have people here arguing that Thaksin should not be punished because others are not punished for corruption no real progress will be made. Only when people stop defending Thaksin and start pressuring the government to go after other corruption cases too and accept that the Thaksin cases are valid and focus on getting people like Suthep in a court too and get him convinced corruption will stay and get worse. The only way to change the mindset of army and politicians is to really go after corruption and not defending those who are corrupt. Once corruption is at least attacked more as now tensions will ease in Thailand because like it or not the people who kill to be in government (or let others kill for them) are not there for the people they are in it for themselves all of them. Why because money can be made from being in power. Take away the financial incentive and you will get better politicians (or at least more honest ones and no reason for a junta to get to power as they cannot steal then too)

So people should unite against corruption instead of defending the corrupt they like.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

So people should unite against corruption instead of defending the corrupt they like.  

Do you seriously think that the military can be punished for corruption not withstanding that they can tore up constitution, write themselves an amnesty and intimidate those who even bring up military corruption. Your message has a nice ring to it that people should be united against corruption but a hallow ring when you still have the a dominant and unmovable military. Let the people dismantle the military first and jailed a few generals before we see tangible progression towards the fight against corruption. By the way, Thaksin, Suthep and all those corrupted politicians should be punished for his corruption. I am still waiting for Suthep's corruption for the crooked land deal and the police stations case plus the infamous watchgate. Heard anything positive on that front Rob?

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Do you seriously think that the military can be punished for corruption not withstanding that they can tore up constitution, write themselves an amnesty and intimidate those who even bring up military corruption. Your message has a nice ring to it that people should be united against corruption but a hallow ring when you still have the a dominant and unmovable military. Let the people dismantle the military first and jailed a few generals before we see tangible progression towards the fight against corruption. By the way, Thaksin, Suthep and all those corrupted politicians should be punished for his corruption. I am still waiting for Suthep's corruption for the crooked land deal and the police stations case plus the infamous watchgate. Heard anything positive on that front Rob?

Again there you go with the standard reply.. first go after others then you can go after the one i like. Eric.. its boring. 

No I did not hear anything about it but your still doing it (as I would expect from you) saying wait with Thaksin go after others first.

That is why all things fail here Eric. You are too rigidly set in your support of the guy who is corrupt by your own admission.

Better try to get Suthep convicted with enough people there will be enough pressure, I like you find it a sham he is not facing a faster trial, but unlike you that does not mean Thaksin should go free. Your constantly advocating for a lawless word. Better to try to improve things than to make things worse like your doing. 

I guess we will differ here, because I hate all corruption and you seem to only hate it on the other side. I feel its more effective to go after stalled corruption cases then to do nothing but say corruption on my side should go free until i see it attacked on the other side. Some nice big mass gatherings by reds about Sutheps his cases would be far more beneficial then constantly defending Thaksin. 

Guess we will always differ here because you can't accept that time is better spend going after other corrupt figures then to defend those that are obviously corrupt. I want progress.. you want nothing like that.

I understand it is hard to go after army and Suthep but with enough people pressuring it will work. But it wont work until people like you understand that.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Again there you go with the standard reply.. first go after others then you can go after the one i like. Eric.. its boring. 

No I did not hear anything about it but your still doing it (as I would expect from you) saying wait with Thaksin go after others first.

That is why all things fail here Eric. You are too rigidly set in your support of the guy who is corrupt by your own admission.

Better try to get Suthep convicted with enough people there will be enough pressure, I like you find it a sham he is not facing a faster trial, but unlike you that does not mean Thaksin should go free. Your constantly advocating for a lawless word. Better to try to improve things than to make things worse like your doing. 

I guess we will differ here, because I hate all corruption and you seem to only hate it on the other side. I feel its more effective to go after stalled corruption cases then to do nothing but say corruption on my side should go free until i see it attacked on the other side. Some nice big mass gatherings by reds about Sutheps his cases would be far more beneficial then constantly defending Thaksin. 

Guess we will always differ here because you can't accept that time is better spend going after other corrupt figures then to defend those that are obviously corrupt. I want progress.. you want nothing like that.

I understand it is hard to go after army and Suthep but with enough people pressuring it will work. But it wont work until people like you understand that.

Again a standard reply from you as always. Refusing to see the forest from the trees, not understanding the cure and the disease, not confronting the issue and the problem. Thaksin and his corruptions are issues and have been dealt with by the courts and will not be allowed to participate in the elections nor coming back. The military and the establishment dominance is a problem which affect and alter how corruptions are being dealt with and have been going on for last 86 years. I don't have to keep reminding that Thaksin is corrupted as it comes of disingenuous and nauseating like you do with your idiosyncratic logic that always seem kinder to the junta. I think you truly don't understand the bigger picture or refuse to confront the real problem.     

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

It is you that does not get it.

Flawed systems give flawed results.

The Thai judicial system is a plaything of the elites.

You constantly harp on about wanting all to face justice when every idiot knows that simply will not happen under the current regime in Thailand.

Only the political enemies of those running the country will face charges, they will not be afforded the assumption of innocence and they will not get fair trials.

What solace can be taken in the verdicts of such a system.......none.

Look at the farcical charge bought against Thaksin after the first coup.

http://slimdogsworld.blogspot.com/

No proper judicial system in the world would churn out such nonsense - only a fool would put any faith in it.

If you honestly wanted to see all who commit crimes appropriately and accurately held to account then you would be supporting a return to democracy because that is the only way you will get what you allegedly desire.

Instead, you obsess on Thaksin and flippantly condemn Suthep et al with the full knowledge that the system ensures their safety and protection from accountability.

The only way to ensure that your buddies Suthep, Prayuth and Prawit will ever have their day in court is to support the Thai people in their desire for democracy - obsessing about Thaksin achieves the exact opposite.

Guess what fanboys do?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

That vote buying nugget just keep swirling around the toilet bowl and refused to be flushed down. Just how many analysts on both sides have refuted that fact that paying voters don't guarantee that they vote for you. Even the Dem's high ranked office bearers like Alongkon and Korn have admitted that notion that paying voters will not win election. If paying is the formula for wining election, the wealth of the establishment with their support from the wealthiest corporations would have won all the elections hands down. Thaksin wealth is pittance against these wealthy elites. 

maybe ... but vote buying isn't just giving people money to vote for a designed candidate, it's also a party making a program of unsustainable populist policies, best example are the various rice schemes and cheap loans etc. Other examples include approval of illegal projects, "easing" of rules, government subsidies... etc.

4 hours ago, tomta said:

ah, that's what comes out when you are short of arguments. congrats !

try again demonstrating that Thaksin and his cronies, having bought enough voters to ensure them control over government, police, parliament and part of the courts could have been removed in a democratic way.

try again.

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Again a standard reply from you as always. Refusing to see the forest from the trees, not understanding the cure and the disease, not confronting the issue and the problem. Thaksin and his corruptions are issues and have been dealt with by the courts and will not be allowed to participate in the elections nor coming back. The military and the establishment dominance is a problem which affect and alter how corruptions are being dealt with and have been going on for last 86 years. I don't have to keep reminding that Thaksin is corrupted as it comes of disingenuous and nauseating like you do with your idiosyncratic logic that always seem kinder to the junta. I think you truly don't understand the bigger picture or refuse to confront the real problem.     

I thought this topic was about dubious politicians.. Thaksin is the topic so bringing him up in this topic is valid.

Thaksin has been dealt with.. no not really, cases are still ongoing and he will never face justice. He is on the run, he will never see jail time. I guess that is what you call dealt with. He is still the leader of the PTP controlling them from behind the scenes.. so NO he is not gone. 

The military is indeed a problem, you won't get an argument from me, but the only way to change that is to pressure them. You always seem to be kinder to Thaksin than the junta.. guess we both have our views. I don't see how I am kind, should look up my posts on Prawit and the watches, Prayut and his nephews. If anything am far more outspoken against both sides while you are always friendly to Thaksin, i almost fell of my chair when you finally accepted that he was corrupt. 

The junta is doing what the PTP did too.. when in power they shield their own from investigation. YL did the same ... the questions of the ombudsman were never replied too but ignored by YL on the passport issue. Why.. she was in power and could stall and ignore.. same with the investigation in fake G2G deals.. she looked did not find anything.. now we got people convicted of 35 billion baht in corruption in fake G2G deals. So please get of your high horse and accept that all in power protect their own. Junta or no junta. 

That is exactly what has to change here and its not just the junta.. its all sides. I know perfectly well what I am talking about and despise corruption. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, manarak said:

maybe ... but vote buying isn't just giving people money to vote for a designed candidate, it's also a party making a program of unsustainable populist policies, best example are the various rice schemes and cheap loans etc. Other examples include approval of illegal projects, "easing" of rules, government subsidies... etc.

You have poor understanding of Thailand politics. Every parties have election campaigns that promised populist policies. Ahbisit had similar policies of free health care, loans, free education etc and even giving money out front for certain group

of people. Isn’t that more unsustainable and populist?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-13298394

Still he was battered in the 2011 election. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is exactly what has to change here and its not just the junta.. its all sides. I know perfectly well what I am talking about and despise corruption. 

Give democracy back to the people, reform the military, re-write the constitution, get rid of the 20 years plan, revise the selection of judiciary and enforcement officers and let the people rid corrupted politicians. Then maybe Thailand has a chance. Anything less, corruption will not be eradicated. Going after one man and making him the scapegoat is not a sustainable solution. Get it??????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I thought this topic was about dubious politicians.. Thaksin is the topic so bringing him up in this topic is valid.

The elephant in the room is the absence of any mention of the current rulers, or do you not think Prayuth is dubious?

Thaksin has been dealt with.. no not really, cases are still ongoing and he will never face justice. He is on the run, he will never see jail time. I guess that is what you call dealt with. He is still the leader of the PTP controlling them from behind the scenes.. so NO he is not gone. 

Ahh, finally you get something right.

Thaksin is not gone.

He is not gone for just one reason - his continuing extreme levels of popularity amongst the Thai people.

The military is indeed a problem, you won't get an argument from me, but the only way to change that is to pressure them. You always seem to be kinder to Thaksin than the junta.. guess we both have our views. I don't see how I am kind, should look up my posts on Prawit and the watches, Prayut and his nephews. If anything am far more outspoken against both sides while you are always friendly to Thaksin, i almost fell of my chair when you finally accepted that he was corrupt. 

The military isn't a problem.......the military is THE problem.

You continued inability to grasp this fact is what has left you wallowing around in an infinite loop of Thaksin obsession.

If there is a hungry tiger and and a housefly in the room with you, only the fool is concerned about the housefly.

The junta is doing what the PTP did too.. when in power they shield their own from investigation. YL did the same ... the questions of the ombudsman were never replied too but ignored by YL on the passport issue. Why.. she was in power and could stall and ignore.. same with the investigation in fake G2G deals.. she looked did not find anything.. now we got people convicted of 35 billion baht in corruption in fake G2G deals. So please get of your high horse and accept that all in power protect their own. Junta or no junta. 

Again and again you continue to equate the Junta and the PTP as being equals.

They are not.

How is it that the Generals who led the 2006 did not face trial after Yingluck's election?

Your memory is distorted, probably from the constant overuse of your junta jaded glasses......Yingluck did not stall and ignore, Yingluck dissolved parliament and called fresh elections - the exact same action that any PM would have done in any decent society.

Elected governments are accountable, Juntas are not.

How stupid does one have to be to think the solution to eradicating non-accountability is to replace an elected government with a Junta.

Beggars belief

Only the Junta and the forces behind them have the wherewithal to overrule democracy.

It is quite obvious that you know perfectly well nothing when it comes to the state of affairs in Thailand.

But Thaksin, but Thaksin, but Thaksin is the only thing you know perfectly well.

• Like 1

ah, that's what comes out when you are short of arguments. congrats !

try again demonstrating that Thaksin and his cronies, having bought enough voters to ensure them control over government, police, parliament and part of the courts could have been removed in a democratic way.
try again.
Of course they could have been removed in a democratic way. It is very simple, the minute they receive less votes than the opposition is the minute they can be removed. That or in case of lack of majority (such as Samak/Somchai administration) a defecting coalition party. It can be done and it has been done.

Stop trying to justify the coup. It cannot be justified. And in this particular case, there is overwhelming evidence the cure is worse than the disease.

don't need to guess, you are giving a pretty good example of what fanboys do
Actually he does not. Everything he said are verifiable facts. You might want to read more of his post than just the line you quoted. Hell you might even learn something!

Sure, with that definition pretty much all administrations the world over, are guilty of vote buying. By the way the things you describe are being executed right now by Thailand's illegal administration headed by Prayuth.

Find me one place...one single place in the world with decent politicians that has a dignified parliament and does not identify to either a kindergarten playground or a circus ?:stoner::post-4641-1156694572:.........Perhaps It's the price to pay for "democracy" ?

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Find me one place...one single place in the world with decent politicians that has a dignified parliament and does not identify to either a kindergarten playground or a circus ?:stoner::post-4641-1156694572:.........Perhaps It's the price to pay for "democracy" ?

No disagreement to that. As Winston Churchill said no democracy is perfect except there are none better. 

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Nowhere is perfect, but there are plenty of places where politics is practised much, much better than it is here.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/why-the-hero-of-the-thai-cave-rescue-was-demoted-20180709-p4zqe1.html

Sure, with that definition pretty much all administrations the world over, are guilty of vote buying. By the way the things you describe are being executed right now by Thailand's illegal administration headed by Prayuth.

the operative word is "unsustainable"

Of course they could have been removed in a democratic way. It is very simple, the minute they receive less votes

ha ha ha

so if a criminal can keep his voters happy, he should remain ???

please try again - how could Thaksin and his crooked system have been removed ?

22 minutes ago, manarak said:

ha ha ha

ha ha ha

I bet you former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib isn't laughing though.

Even with massive electoral support, Thaksin was removed by the elites so what sort of idiotic logic makes you think that if Thaksin lost an election he would be permitted to stay on?

Ha ha ha indeed.

32 minutes ago, pornprong said:

ha ha ha

I bet you former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib isn't laughing though.

Even with massive electoral support, Thaksin was removed by the elites so what sort of idiotic logic makes you think that if Thaksin lost an election he would be permitted to stay on?

Ha ha ha indeed.

Reading recommended for Khun Manarak on how Najib buy votes, use populist policies and even re-aligned constituencies boundary to favour his party and still lost bigly. Junta fanboy desperately trying to justify the coup. 

1 hour ago, manarak said:

the operative word is "unsustainable"

So in your system, Manurak, who decides what is good policy or bad policy,  what is sustainable and responsible, and what is reckless and irresponsible?  If the answer were as obvious as you suggest , there would be no problem. Everyone would know what the correct course of action is. But that utopia has never existed except in totalitarian fantasies. The problem  and opportunity of any society is that people disagree on things. And the question is how do we solve that problem. Who decides, those with the most votes or those with the most guns?

It seems to me that when you agree with the majority, you'll say votes. And when you don't you'll say guns.

That's OK , It's an arguable  position. You junta supporters really should own up to it though.

ha ha ha
I told you, and there where checks and balances in place. The only valid question is how the criminal Prayuth can be removed