Rescue Diver Killed In Tham Luang Cave Complex

webfact

How many more heroes have to die until they understand how serious the situation really is. They knew of low oxygen levels in the first days of the rescue operation.

If that's true they've to get the kids out ASAP, I hope  that the English blokes are still around. 

I read that one of the original 3 guys has gone back (to UK) but 2 further divers are coming to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Anybody who can do it. I have no racial or territorial preferences on who saves lives.

You are one of the most negative posters on these threads.

The person's most likely to do it successfully are the international experts 

They're is no racial element, it's a matter of skill, disciple, experience and expertise, if you think thais are on a par of excellence with usa or brits then I'll have to refrain from further comment with you.... 

33 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Congratulations to you on getting it right!  Have a gold star.  Sheesh.  And well done for sneering at the Seals while you're at it - men who are countless times braver than you.

Yeah, "Ego" is problem not only on site, but also in these threads.

Haha funny guy.  You don't know what I know or have seen so go back to your world of ignorance.  Thai "Seals" hahaha gimme a break!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In at least some Englush speaking countries "killed" does not imply murdered. "Killed in a car crash" for example, said all the time.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If another car drove into your car and it was his fault and you died then you would have been "killed in a car crash" but if you drove into a tree and died you would have "died in a car crash". Killed by someone, or died by your own action. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Before denigrating Thai "SEALS", perhaps you could wait for the official explanation as to why he died.

Yeah I am sure you are right in your assumption that the Thai "Seals" rank among the worlds best.  He died diving. It's official.  I never said he was a "Seal" either just that expert foreign cave divers are being pushed aside at the site based of first hand knowledge (you know, the stuff you don't have right now but for some reason are challenging).

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In at least some Englush speaking countries "killed" does not imply murdered. "Killed in a car crash" for example, said all the time.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Absolutely correct, Sheryl. 'Killed' does not necessarily imply murder or manslaughter. This poor diver could well have been killed by a fault in his equipment. One can use the verb 'kill' in that way - it is not incorrect.

In terms of getting them out I think the diving, walking out solution must be fraught with danger. The sections are not smooth and straight but severely undulating, curved, and some places very narrow, hard to squeeze through with no visibility. We are told it takes 5-6 hours for fit men to navigate their way through. If the team can get them out this way they are brilliant.

I think engineering through drainage, drilling and damming offers more hope but drilling from above will require helicopter provision of equipment and supplies. The hills are extremely steep and densely forested unlike the flatter bare plains of the high altitude Chilean desert. There are no roads to potential drilling sites. Contrary to what some people are saying limestone itself is a hard strong rock. What will matter is how fractured it is and whether there are bands of looser material running through. Only geologists on the spot can answer those questions

I wish the team well and am so sorry that one of their number has already paid with his life

• Thanks 1

RIP to the diver.  We don't know if it was a medical condition who led to his death or just a lack of oxygen. 

But it just shows you need the very best men down there to rescue the kids.

I hope the Brits will stay around and can come up with a survivable solution .

They talk about rescue them today or tomorrow , to avoid more flooding, but right now I would not be so sure .

All I know is living for 4 months inside the cave with enough food and oxygen IS survivable.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, balo said:

RIP to the diver.  We don't know if it was a medical condition who led to his death or just a lack of oxygen. 

But it just shows you need the very best men down there to rescue the kids.

I hope the Brits will stay around and can come up with a survivable solution .

They talk about rescue them today or tomorrow , to avoid more flooding, but right now I would not be so sure .

All I know is living for 4 months inside the cave with enough food and oxygen IS survivable.   

Its not when the cave they are holding up in is liable to flood- if it was clear that it was not going to flood this would obviously be the proper option and all efforts would of been made to supply it. The fact it does not appears  to indicate that they cannot guarantee that it wont flood out and they know they need to try and get them out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Scotssing said:

In terms of getting them out I think the diving, walking out solution must be fraught with danger. The sections are not smooth and straight but severely undulating, curved, and some places very narrow, hard to squeeze through with no visibility. We are told it takes 5-6 hours for fit men to navigate their way through. If the team can get them out this way they are brilliant.

I think engineering through drainage, drilling and damming offers more hope but drilling from above will require helicopter provision of equipment and supplies. The hills are extremely steep and densely forested unlike the flatter bare plains of the high altitude Chilean desert. There are no roads to potential drilling sites. Contrary to what some people are saying limestone itself is a hard strong rock. What will matter is how fractured it is and whether there are bands of looser material running through. Only geologists on the spot can answer those questions

I wish the team well and am so sorry that one of their number has already paid with his life

Get some air in,

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/elon-musk-thailand-cave-rescue-boring-company/

We don't yet know the full details of this diver's death.  If it was due to running out of air while swimming through a flooded tunnel, then to my (amateur) brain, that sounds like the most basic and avoidable type of accident that can occur when diving in flooded caves. 

I imagine one carefully monitors one's air supply all the time, note when it is getting low and then either swap over to a back-up air-tank (you do have one, don't you???), or immediately turn back for dry ground (the distance/time already known by you with an extra safety margin).

But what do I know?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

We don't yet know the full details of this diver's death.  If it was due to running out of air while swimming through a flooded tunnel, then to my (amateur) brain, that sounds like the most basic and avoidable type of accident that can occur when diving in flooded caves. 

I imagine one carefully monitors one's air supply all the time, note when it is getting low and then either swap over to a back-up air-tank (you do have one, don't you???), or immediately turn back for dry ground (the distance/time already known by you with an extra safety margin).

But what do I know?  

I also don't know but the fact that it happened to someone that is massively more experienced than the boys will be simply is not comforting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scotssing said:

Contrary to what some people are saying limestone itself is a hard strong rock. What will matter is how fractured it is and whether there are bands of looser material running through. Only geologists on the spot can answer those questions

Strong hard rock? you sure about that statement (3 on the Mows scale)? Thailand is known to have very unconsolidated structures, geologists can only build a more exacting picture as drilling goes ahead and samples are analyzed, they would most likely have offset data, if you know better do share?

3 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

i would start with the idiot coach as the guinea pig seeing as he got them into this mess in the fist place

Don't judge the coach to early, there is stories about that he went after the kids to get them out as the kids went in without the coach knowing about it. If so he is a hero in my eyes.

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:
This clip is doing the rounds on facebook, shows just how tight it is in sections.

Jeez.  Truly horrendous.

It's unthinkable the the kids got to their current position through that route.

One would assume that the experienced divers questioned them as to the route they did take and, presumably, it must be a much worse option?

Kudos and great respect to those divers!

?

Edited by saminoz

12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:
This clip is doing the rounds on facebook, shows just how tight it is in sections.

I'd dispute that this is in the Thai cave complex, guessing it's an old clip. I will concede it's probably representative of how tight it is in certain sections though.

• Like 1