Forum upgrade in progress! ×

40 confirmed killed in Phuket boat accident, 16 still missing

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Don't expect this to get much news coverage for long.         R.I.P. 40+ Chinese Tourists.

Well, by 10 pm tonight, the link to this OP report on The Nation website no longer seems to be valid, and I'm not finding the OP story (at least 40 dead) on their website at this point.

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, by 10 pm tonight, the link to this OP report on The Nation website no longer seems to be valid, and I'm not finding the OP story (at least 40 dead) on their website at this point.

interesting indeed!

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

image.jpg.330c1282a76454c131f5c4c3b9d381

That thing holds 105 passengers? Looks more suitable for a dozen or less.

They fit 50 in that speedboat behind it.

That ship is plenty big enough for 100 day trippers.

Perhaps there was a stability problem with too many passengers on the upper decks trying to stay clear of the spray. 

If it suddenly came out of the lee of an island and hit large swells at the wrong angle it could take on a heap of water over the side and not recover. If so, very bad driving.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The story didn't get any coverage on the BBC, RT or French news at midnight (Thai time) tonight, although Thai Channel 5 had a report with video from Phuket.  

Perhaps the contradictory local report and confused numbers are making the international media concerned about reporting accuracy?

12 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

The story didn't get any coverage on the BBC, RT or French news at midnight (Thai time) tonight, although Thai Channel 5 had a report with video from Phuket.  

Perhaps the contradictory local report and confused numbers are making the international media concerned about reporting accuracy?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44728478

32 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Or everyone's attention is focused on the cave rescue, and they're not minding the usual litany of transport-related death and injury that occurs here regularly.

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I was aware of the BBC web site reports, but I meant the live TV news reports.  Main item was the boys in the cave, second was an accident at a waterfall in Canada where 3 people died, next was the World Cup.  No mention of Phuket at all.  Same on RT which of course opened with reports on London nerve gas incident, then went straight to the football.

Perhaps boat accidents are not TV news-worthy, or there's not enough video footage to hold people's limited attention?

44 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Perhaps boat accidents are not TV news-worthy, or there's not enough video footage to hold people's limited attention?

I suspect that Western news editors may believe that the interest/sympathy of their "home" audience is not much aroused by the deaths of ?? Chinese on holiday.

Had there been just one of their own "foreign devils" among them it might have been a different......"story".

How interested would you have been if it had happened in the estuary of the Minjiang River.......instead of Thailand?

15 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I hope as much international attention is paid to this incident as to the boys in the cave, to ensure disasters like this are not repeated. 

Dont let the world think that Chinese tourists’ lives count for less than Thai footballers.

Very little coverage, but look on YT and every media outlet in the world is covering not much going on in the cave. 40 dead is just not very 'entertaining' it seems, that's how they present everything as a drama, a race against time. Dead kids in the sea is not interesting enough for them

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps there was a stability problem with too many passengers on the upper decks trying to stay clear of the spray. 

If it suddenly came out of the lee of an island and hit large swells at the wrong angle it could take on a heap of water over the side and not recover. If so, very bad driving.

I was thinking the same thing. The captain claimed he was hit with "4-5 metre waves". Taken on the beam, that could have easily capsized a boat of that size, especially if it was full to capacity. (The natural inclination of the passengers would have been to move away from an oncoming wave, to the other side of the boat. That would make things even worse as it would actually help capsize the boat by shifting the centre of gravity too far the wrong way.)
Taking the same wave on the bow may have resulted in a lot of wet passengers (maybe a few overboard as well) but should have been survivable.

Another boat capsized as well around the same time but all the passengers were saved. A few other boats apparently had to take shelter in the lee of an island. It wasn't just the one boat (or captain) trying to avoid cancelling a trip (and having to make any "refunds"). Seems quite a few were on the water at the same time/area.

I wonder if they'll make any mention of "life jackets" (being used or having sufficient to provide for all the passengers and crew) or other safety equipment (such as life rafts).

Two words that seem not to be in the Thai language - RESPONSIBILITY and CONSEQUENCES - if they used these more then things might improve. Burying their heads in the sand like ostriches and the continual stupidity of thinking everything comes down to Karma will be the downfall of this nation.

24 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I wonder if they'll make any mention of "life jackets" (being used or having sufficient to provide for all the passengers and crew) or other safety equipment (such as life rafts)

Good point.

17 hours ago, sgiandubh69 said:

So, severe weather warnings were clearly issued,  The operators disregarded this and the boats went out  Now 40 confirmed dead. Someone has some serious questions to answer. ‘Mai pen rai’ won’t work this time surely.

Maybe a nice WAI?

37 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I was thinking the same thing. The captain claimed he was hit with "4-5 metre waves". Taken on the beam, that could have easily capsized a boat of that size, especially if it was full to capacity. (The natural inclination of the passengers would have been to move away from an oncoming wave, to the other side of the boat. That would make things even worse as it would actually help capsize the boat by shifting the centre of gravity too far the wrong way.)
Taking the same wave on the bow may have resulted in a lot of wet passengers (maybe a few overboard as well) but should have been survivable.

Another boat capsized as well around the same time but all the passengers were saved. A few other boats apparently had to take shelter in the lee of an island. It wasn't just the one boat (or captain) trying to avoid cancelling a trip (and having to make any "refunds"). Seems quite a few were on the water at the same time/area.

I wonder if they'll make any mention of "life jackets" (being used or having sufficient to provide for all the passengers and crew) or other safety equipment (such as life rafts).

I think the other vessel that capsized was a yacht, so different circumstances.

In some defense of the boating companies, the weather warning was for a period until next Tuesday, and not specifically for that day. They are often inaccurate.

It was relatively benign in the morning and it may have seemed OK to proceed, rather than give refunds.

However, the looming storm was apparent for some time before it hit, plenty of time to cut the day short and head for port. 

54 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Everybody was wearing a lifejacket. Some of the victims got stuck with their jackets, so couldn't make it out of the boat because of the jackets.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Everybody was wearing a lifejacket. Some of the victims got stuck with their jackets, so couldn't make it out of the boat because of the jackets.

Isn't that the same scenario as the Muslims killed on the river last year?

I worked in China. I asked locals about an earthquake that had killed upto 10,000 people a few years back. None of them knew what I was talking about.

If a disaster happens in China and 100 die it is barely local news.

If a disaster happens in China and 1,000 die it might make national news.

If a disaster happens in China and 10,000 die they cover it up.

50 to 60 Chinese tourists die in a snorkelling trip in Thailand and the Chinese tour operators will be arranging to hire a new boat as quickly as they can for the next load of tourists coming...........

It must sink fast. Ppl had no time to escape?

Other thing is they put in life jackets in the boat which make you unable to move when water gets in.

So terrible.

I been on somme doggy boats here, worst one was speedboat with 50 ppl to Lipe. Long ride and there was no escape at all the way they build it.

sure it's hardly a big deal, only 60 tourists dead what's new, no Thai was responsible - it was the wind, the waves that did this, same as the roads - it was the brakes, the rain, the wind, the cave, no Thai responsible

Not our fault, Thailand is safe for tourists ……..honest not worry your money will be taken care of

about ten years ago my wife and I traveled to Kho Larn by boat on our return trip the boat was in a big sea and people were very scared (my wife and her friend went

below to pray) I thought the boat was overloaded and in danger of capsizing.

we eventually made it to Pattaya, we have never risked getting on a boat in Thailand

since that day and my wifes friend has done likewise.

in the last few years there has been numerous deaths through accidents on ferries

including one were the boat that capsized was a fishing boat that had extra structures added above the deck to accommodate more passengers, most of these ''accidents'' are self inflicted by the lack of seaworthy inspections and checks,

like most things here nothing is ever followed up and within 12 months there will

be another ''accident'' nothing gets fixed they just brush it under the rug.  

3 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

It’s a big modern looking boat. How the f. did he manage to turn that over?

Looking big and modern doesn't make a vessel really seaworthy. And 105 people on board seems way too many for it.

15 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Looking at the boats picture there is no way 5 meter waves overcame this boat. Something catastrophic happened.

My guess would be the engine room.Or all 100 passengers were on the leeward side and the boat blew over.

Load shifting its called.

The way the Chinese flock, the latter is likely . . .

2 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

Modern yes, but it looks like it has a very high freeboard - so may not be stable in large waves?

I guess another factor is that swimming lessons are not common in the normal state schools in China.  I've seen snorkelling groups from China, and many just float about in life jackets.

Interesting that the other boat that capsized had Western tourists, and all 39 were rescued.

I know some on the Chinese tour boat were trapped inside, but if you can swim confidently, you can stay calm and find a way out.  Non swimmers may panic. 

2 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

Lack of skill and and no control or idea of how to deal with what was never really a dangerous situation....I also saw on a Thai channel a captain claiming the engine got ckoked with rubbish ???

4 to 5 mtr seas are the norm in European and Nordic seas. The videos I have seen of this incident show swell and waves nowhere near that height.

I go with the theory of overloaded and 105 people all on one side of this vessel sheltering and combined with a sharp turn and wind over she goes........Those lifejackets are a joke also. They are really for people who cannot swim a stroke or unconscious. Even if you can swim you have to go backwards with a double arm sculling stroke and you have to have a bit of practice to do that correctly. They are a nightmare if you have one on and try to climb into a liferaft. Years of doing offshore oil industry training survival courses have shown me this is the case.

The lifejackets do make it easy to pull dead people out of the water as they have a loop on the top of them for this purpose. 

Nothing will be done about this and no lessons will be learned as this is the norm.

This will all be forgotten in a few weeks and nicely swept under the carpet. Thailand can move on to the next disaster. Its not a question of if ... but when. A very, very sad situation that is all very much preventable if there was a will to ensure a culture of safety first.

Archived