Rescue mission head rules out waiting for cave to dry

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He said the mission was still battling the influx of water. So far they had been successful in at least making it possible for rescuers to walk to Chamber 3 inside the cave but the fight against water was not over yet.

"the fight against water was not over yet". Seriously? The fight against water is about to begin, while these people are suggesting it's nearly over.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seajae said:

so a person that has no experience in caving/diving or what it entails is making the decisions on what they will do, would be nice if they used people in the know. The idea a group of thai officials that are in their positions probably due to who they are rather than their abilities, making decisions of the kids lives is very scary to say the least unless they do have the overseas experts amongst them. The person making the decisions should be an expert in the field of rescue not the governor of a province

I fully agree -  the mission leader has to be an experienced cave rescuer.  Not sure the governor is the man for the job!  A proper leader would heed the advice of the experts but, the governor, being Thai, would lose face if he listened to a farang!

55 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

I fully agree -  the mission leader has to be an experienced cave rescuer.  Not sure the governor is the man for the job!  A proper leader would heed the advice of the experts but, the governor, being Thai, would lose face if he listened to a farang!

So they already lost face getting foreign divers in to find the kids. That was the hard part as they had to swim in an unfamiliar cave with no guide ropes. I'm pretty sure the Governor is taking all advice he can get in this situation, e en from farangs. I'm sure most Thais would be happy to take advice in such a grave situation. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

British cave divers are in charge...yet not officially...

More have come to join the original team every day.

One can imagine that each child will be accompanied by two divers, one British opening the way and one Thai seal staying behind.

From the latest news, it seems that cameras have been positioned in the cave and that the rescue, or at least part of it, will be broadcasted...stay tuned...

• Like 2

Update on Tham Luan cave rescue; Rescue operation has begun as of 10:10 am today.  18 elite divers have entered the cave.  Details on specifics is not clear, but the divers are now on their way.  Officials expect the rescue operation to go on through the day and the first kids will not emerge from the cave before 10am tomorrow, though the first of the kids should be in the "safe zone" by 9pm tonight

Our prayers should be with them.  This is considered one of the most dangerous cave rescue dives in history, but apparently there are now no other viable options except to swim them out even though most of the kids cannot even swim.  Thunderstorms expected to start in earnest by late afternoon to day so this is now a race against time. 

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Update on Tham Luan cave rescue; Rescue operation has begun as of 10:10 am today.  18 elite divers have entered the cave.  Details on specifics is not clear, but the divers are now on their way.  Officials expect the rescue operation to go on through the day and the first kids will not emerge from the cave before 10am tomorrow, though the first of the kids should be in the "safe zone" by 9pm tonight

Our prayers should be with them.  This is considered one of the most dangerous cave rescue dives in history, but apparently there are now no other viable options except to swim them out even though most of the kids cannot even swim.  Thunderstorms expected to start in earnest by late afternoon to day so this is now a race against time. 

help me with the timezone please - was the 10:10 am today start about 52 minutes ago? I can see the time of your post in my local time...