Survivors claim they were not warned to wear life jackets

rooster59

Survivors claim they were not warned to wear life jackets

15.png

A survivor of the Phoenix dive boat accident on Thursday said that passengers on board the ill-fated tour boat were not warned to wear life vests nor was there a demonstration on how to properly wear the life vests.

According to Daily News Online report, the young Chinese survivor who was not identified said there were five of them in the same group on board the Phoenix dive boat and two of them died and another injured while he and another friend survived.

He said when the boat left Phuket, it was raining and there was no warning of venturing out into the open sea.  He added that, while on board the vessel, no crews gave a demonstration of how to properly wear a life vest and they were not told where were the fire exits.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/survivors-claim-not-warned-wear-life-jackets/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-07

No, there is no need for that. Normal behaviour is to wear a life jacket on the sea, in bad weather and strong waves.

On the other hand, normal behaviour is to care about warnings and not go out on the sea in bad weather. However, we all know valuble a life is in comparision to money in this country. That mean it´s the tourists job to protect himself if the country he/she visit doesn´t do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

No, there is no need for that. Normal behaviour is to wear a life jacket on the sea, in bad weather and strong waves.

On the other hand, normal behaviour is to care about warnings and not go out on the sea in bad weather. However, we all know valuble a life is in comparision to money in this country. That mean it´s the tourists job to protect himself if the country he/she visit doesn´t do.

Before the squall the weather was really nice and calm. There was no weather warning.

20 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Before the squall the weather was really nice and calm. There was no weather warning.

And that is actually relevant how? Calm weather and big boat, no life jacket. If weather gets bad take on a life jacket. Nobody have to say that to anybody. It´s known as common sense.

What I saw in a later article was a weather warning, and just thought it was issued before the trip too.

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Wonder if life jackets were included in this $0.00 tour?

Troll. Yes there were enough life jackets else boat would not have been allowed to depart. Whether they were instructions on how to use. That's another question.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

And that is actually relevant how? Calm weather and big boat, no life jacket. If weather gets bad take on a life jacket. Nobody have to say that to anybody. It´s known as common sense.

What I saw in a later article was a weather warning, and just thought it was issued before the trip too.

It is relevant because you claimed there was a warning and boats were not permitted out.

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It is relevant because you claimed there was a warning and boats were not permitted out.

Below you can see exactly what I wrote. Where do I claim there was a varning and that boats were not permitted out???? Please learn to read!

"On the other hand, normal behaviour is to care about warnings and not go out on the sea in bad weather."

What I claim is that normal is to care about warnings and not go out in bad weather. I never say it was a varning issued nor even that it was bad weather.

Hope I cleared all the difficult parts for you. :smile:

Edited by Get Real

I drive by Rawai beach quite often and there are always many speedboats coming and going.  I've never seen in the last year or two any passengers without a life jacket on.  

Not sure where the sunken boats home port is, but from I see all pax are wearing life jackets before departing.  

Aren't life jackets required upon departure from all Phuket ports/beaches for these tours?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I drive by Rawai beach quite often and there are always many speedboats coming and going.  I've never seen in the last year or two any passengers without a life jacket on.  

Not sure where the sunken boats home port is, but from I see all pax are wearing life jackets before departing.  

Aren't life jackets required upon departure from all Phuket ports/beaches for these tours?

yes, from chalong pier, all boats that leave from there, the customer have to wear a life jacket.

• Like 1

A pedantic post follows:- None of the survivors I saw were wearing life jackets, they were wearing PFD (personal flotation devices) the difference being Life Jackets are self righting, PFD are not, they will not flip you over onto your back. Either of these aids require some knowledge and training to use correctly, if they are not tied tight - to the point of hurting they will ride up in the water and be near useless.

Cost obviously comes into being as to quality etc.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Below you can see exactly what I wrote. Where do I claim there was a varning and that boats were not permitted out???? Please learn to read!

"On the other hand, normal behaviour is to care about warnings and not go out on the sea in bad weather."

What I claim is that normal is to care about warnings and not go out in bad weather. I never say it was a varning issued nor even that it was bad weather.

Hope I cleared all the difficult parts for you. :smile:

Yes, the intention of your post was clear, as I said.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Yes, the intention of your post was clear, as I said.

It´s really sad that you do not even understand, when you are presented with facts.

We make it simple. One, on boat. One see high waves! One take on life jacket. Warning or no warning. Enough from me. Can´t arse myself to explain more to deaf ears.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

were not warned to wear life vests

how bizarre this statement is.  Normally they would forget to tell you, or tell you to wear them; but warned not to wear them????

Eeeeeh! Since when is "were not warned to wear life vests" same as your statement "warned to not wear them?????

Guess you missed everything with that kind of comment.

5 hours ago, Redline said:

Believe it or not, it’s the law to wear life jackets in Thailand 

I can believe that as IIRC every time I went out on a dive boat, the staff insisted that everyone was wearing their life jacket before leaving port.  Obviously (on a genuine dive boat), we all took them off as soon as possible.

Irrelevant to this topic, other than I'm reasonably sure every passenger would have been given a life jacket.  No idea whether it was a 'proper' life jacket though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

It seems there was a communication problem, as usual.  A good reason to allow Chinese guides to conduct tours and excursions for Chinese tourists. Thai guides are useless in such circumstances. (and many more)

You seem not to know this was a nominee company owned by Chinese proxies. You can be sure there were Chinese guides on board.

8 hours ago, 300sd said:

The captain and crew were not qualified to run that boat and have a responsibility for passengers. As for pointing out safety equipment etc, that should be common sense. But at least the passengers got some direction when, quoting from the other news story: 

"He saw a crew member jumped into the sea and he followed suit."

That crew member is like a rat leaving a sinking ship.

That crew member should be arrested with the captain. 

Dreaming, right?

I've been on many Thai boats from large tourist boats to ferries and never had anything relating to safety instructions. The Samui ferries didn't even have working inflatable life rafts. I was just grateful if they had life jackets, which they never used to, till a fatal accident after which life jackets were carried.

However, the tourist complains that no one told him to put on a life jacket! First thing I looked for when on board.

I even took to taking an inflatable pillow that I could use in the event the vessel sank. 

To wear or not to wear, that is the question. Wearing a life vest INSIDE a boat can be dangerous, because you cannot get out, if the boat capsizes. Probably the same reason for not inflating the life vest in an airplane.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Dreaming, right?

I've been on many Thai boats from large tourist boats to ferries and never had anything relating to safety instructions. The Samui ferries didn't even have working inflatable life rafts. I was just grateful if they had life jackets, which they never used to, till a fatal accident after which life jackets were carried.

However, the tourist complains that no one told him to put on a life jacket! First thing I looked for when on board.

I even took to taking an inflatable pillow that I could use in the event the vessel sank. 

Not sure what your point is. One should be looking for exits and safety equipment on a boat.That equipment should be well marked. Unfortunately, as you say they do not point it out and most likely it is not well marked. But my point was really that I do not believe the captain of this vessel was qualified. He left the shelter behind that Island when others stayed overnight for safety reasons. I have also been on that Samui ferry twice, and although it is in sheltered waters mostly, the life saving gear are styro foam floats, and probably life jackets. Not too professional. And most likely if I could have a look below, I would never venture on to those scows again!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1337markus said:

were not warned to wear life vests

how bizarre this statement is.  Normally they would forget to tell you, or tell you to wear them; but warned not to wear them????

They did not say "warned not to wear them". Let's make it easy shall we, they were not "told" to wear them ?

• Like 1