Airline baggage damage

seajae

on a trip to Bangkok we bought a set of 3 suitcases, they all fitted inside each other which made it handy for our flight back home 3 hours after we bought them. Arrived at home and the extension handle would not extend more than a couple of inches, the arm had been damaged along with the enclosure around it, As it is metal it would have had to have been thrown or bashed fairly hard to do the damage. We went to the counter to complain and they offered us 300 baht and said they dont take responsibility for baggage damage, I expressed my displeasure and they offered us 500 baht and said that was the maximum they could pay. Two weeks before when our young daughter flew home with them her suitcase was totally smashed, handle ripped off, both sides caved in as well as the bottom of it, they gave her 300 baht and said take it or leave it so I was pretty fired up when they refused to do anything about a brand new case. I contacted Lion Thailand head office and they have refused to answer me, unfortunately they are the only airline that have flights that suit our travel so be advised that if you use Lion air only take carry on baggage as they refuse to cover any damage done if it goes in the baggage area,

22 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I dont wish to demean your claims or refute your charges. But isn't this the result of what I will call the emergence of cheap airline travel. Costs are cut to a minimum, fewer workers, no money in the kitty, no long term customer care. There are hidden results of this everywhere in stories of delays, bad attitude and arguments. I was in the tour business for 30 years and at one time flew 7 times in one 3 week trip but mostly with national carriers. When Thai smashed up my suitcase they took responsibility, sent me out to buy another and returned my money on show of the receipt. Yes, we paid more for tickets but we weren't treated like bus passengers which is the case today.

It's always been like this, even before budget airlines. And all airlines have always set this out clearly in their conditions of carriage etc.

Not nice, but it's in the contract. Which is why I always, budget or mainstream airline, take an extra policy with Chubb or AIG etc., better luggage cover and also provides much better death cover and much better medical expenses cover and very inexpensive, all done and paid on-line.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It's always been like this, even before budget airlines. And all airlines have always set this out clearly in their conditions of carriage etc.

Not nice, but it's in the contract. Which is why I always, budget or mainstream airline, take an extra policy with Chubb or AIG etc., better luggage cover and also provides much better death cover and much better medical expenses cover and very inexpensive, all done and paid on-line.  

after this episode we will be taking insurance, first time we have had this happen the airline not fixing it, as you say the influx of airlines is probably the reason but Lion has been around for years, maybe its only a thai thing with them. As I said they are the only airline that fly at times that suit us, pity their staff are not better

29 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I dont wish to demean your claims or refute your charges. But isn't this the result of what I will call the emergence of cheap airline travel. Costs are cut to a minimum, fewer workers, no money in the kitty, no long term customer care. There are hidden results of this everywhere in stories of delays, bad attitude and arguments. I was in the tour business for 30 years and at one time flew 7 times in one 3 week trip but mostly with national carriers. When Thai smashed up my suitcase they took responsibility, sent me out to buy another and returned my money on show of the receipt. Yes, we paid more for tickets but we weren't treated like bus passengers which is the case today.

"... delays, bad attitude ..."

I was a very frequent flyer for many years, 2, 3, 4 flight a week regional and international.

Bad attitude, lack of customer care / laziness (both economy and business class), lost luggage etc., just as frequent when there were no budget airlines.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, seajae said:

after this episode we will be taking insurance, first time we have had this happen the airline not fixing it, as you say the influx of airlines is probably the reason but Lion has been around for years, maybe its only a thai thing with them. As I said they are the only airline that fly at times that suit us, pity their staff are not better

I fly Lion frequently, I find their service, in all aspects, better than AA and NOK, but no their not perfect.

Please remember the check-in, gate, luggage people don't make the polices. 

11 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I totally agree, like you I flew many times on a weekly basis on business so normally used regular airlines. On the two occasions when I used a 'cheapy' well known in Asia  the flights were a disaster, arriving very late and numerous other problems. As they say you get what you paid for and always take out insurance. I have had cases damaged whilst travelling with Thai Airways and they have always repaired or replaced without a problem and at no cost to myself.

• Like 1

From my experience...and I fly very regularly, the best airlines are great while everything is going well and barely any better than the cheap airlines when things go wrong. I did however once have a case replaced by Etihad when they damaged mine.

Buy a better suitcase with better warranty is all i can say. I recommend American Tourister as their international warranty really works in Thailand too. Their price vs durability and size is well worth it. I've used pretty much all the brands out there, samsonite, rimowa etc. American Tourister is the cheapest thats the durable and easy to get fix and claim. I didn't pay a single baht when I got wheels replaced because it didn't roll smooth, no questions ask, all they had to do is see your warranty card.

Don't waste your time with the airline.

Tiger airways baggage handlers stole 2 125ml bottles of perfume from my wife’s luggage in Singapore and refused to answer my emails, until I wrote saying they condoned theft amongst their employees. Then the lawyers emails arrived. Never got any compensation so stopped flying Tiger. Send them an email every time I fly, they don’t reply but it’s free to annoy them.

i have had success with other main stream airlines, budget airlines you get what you pay for so sometimes it’s not cheap

We came back from the UK about 4 weeks ago on BA. Luggage damage was similar to OP, one case the handle would only come out about 6 inches and on the other the handle was broken and would not come out at all.

Didn't bother with the airline just claimed on the AXA travel insurance policy, they gave 60% of the purchase price.

Had good experience with BA about ten years back. Suitcase was a Samsonite with extendable external handle and it was showing signs of damage before I travelled from India to Heathrow, but not obvious to the check-in staff. That journey wrecked the handle completely and it was just hanging off. Reported the damage and filled in a form at LHR. BA indicated I could get it assessed and repaired / replaced as appropriate. Unfortunately I was travelling onto Cairo after a couple of days but BA indicated no problem, just get their Cairo office to sort it out.

Well, my misgivings on this action were totally misplaced and the BA Cairo office took the damaged case away and provided a new Samsonite as a replacement (a version without the extendable handle which was fine with me).

Still have it to this day and has proved itself as being perfect despite all that Egypt and India baggage handlers (plus Thai) can throw at it!!

About five years ago I had a damaged case flying Etihad ticket; Man-Bkk-Hkt (the Phuket leg is Bangkok Airways) got to Phuky and case handle been ripped off (probably all the Yorkshire Tea in it lol) went the BKK airways desk in arrivals, they recorded my claim but said need to contact Etihad?

Long story short - It turned out last carrier was responsible so after a few emails with ticket/boarding card pics attached and pics of damage I got 3000 baht back.

Cost me 200 Baht for new handle, still using my American Tourister 555 ?  

4 hours ago, fakename said:

I buy flea market luggage, when it wears out or is damaged, I just throw it out! 

I've found a combination of cheap luggage and the baggage wrapping service at most airports is quite durable. Been flying AA and Jetstar regularly for ten years now, still have the same suitcase. Everything inside the case which is breakable gets bubble wrap protection.

Baggage handlers are usually airport employees, under constant pressure to deliver baggage to the carousels quickly. They don't discriminate between expensive and cheap luggage when they are getting it onto the conveyors. Either buy the expensive fortress suitcases, or be a Cheap Charlie like me.

Nothing to do with the airline or the luggage handlers, as they are all a bunch of underpaid careless nuts worldwide.....it could be the quality of the the Thai made items that are usually crap sold at inflated prices.....I bought a set of Samsonites (in Europe), many years ago....after intensive use and say 7 years later, the only issue I had was with the wheel of one of the suitcases that was slightly chipped...as if somebody pealed it off with a knife or whatever...

Naturally I complained to Samsonite in Europe....and of course, the je*ks have not yet even bothered answering, despite their so-called acclaimed lifetime guarantee..?

I had a 30" Hi-Sierra wheeled duffle bag that Southwest baggage crew in LA damaged. The metal frame supporting the bag was bent making it impossible to even extend the pull handle.  They refused compensation because their policy specifically does not cover extending pull handles. Made it convenient using the shoulder strap to carry it while wheeling a 30" and a carry-on through Swampy to the taxi queue and my return trip back.

I had a bag handle ripped some years ago, and when i complained was told the bag was 'old' and not covered for damage. Admittedly the bag was pretty heavy (about 28 kilos). I just repaired handle using strimmer line - looks like shit but works ..... the bag was just a cheap soft fabric case, but has lasted me for 10 years, no other damage just scratches and stuff. Most bags you see damaged are the rigid shell cases - they just cannot take rough treatment, certainly most of them. With the fabric cases just need to wrap breakable items a bit better but rarely get any damage to contents. Also a cheap case is of little interest to thieves.