Dcf In Thailand?

I assume you are talking about the US Consulate taking immigrant visa petitions direct and the answer is no.

Wrong!

If you (the US citizen) are resident in Thailand, you can do a DCF. My understanding is the residency is proven by Non-Imm visa and US Income tax forms claiming non-residency in US. I personally know one couple that did this 2 years ago. Took about 2 months to get the visa, mostly waiting for interview.

From the US Embassy in Thailand web site:

"The petition is usually filed with and adjudicated by BCIS, the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, (the former INS) in the U.S., but if your American Citizen relative is a resident of Thailand, it may also be filed with the office here."

TH

BCIF (old INS) is not the US Consulate so it is not DCF.

Unless you have a provable long term stay here BCIF will not accept it either.

This is an option for very few I fear. And poster did not appear to be an expat. :o

There are a small number of countries where direct filing with the US Consulate is available but Thailand is not one of these.

I still think it is important to make sure people understand that DCF is available in virtually every country, as long as you are a resident of that country.

If you had answered the question with a “No, unless you can prove you live in Thailand”, that would have been correct.

TH

The question was "DCF" and that is not available in Thailand. I say again; BCIS is not the US Consulate. I was answering a specific question with the answer that fit.

If question was worded differently, "can paperwork be filed in Thailand" would have included the, possible, BCIS option. But I worded my answer to question and said Consulate could not take it direct here. I stand by that answer.

Agree with you that people should be aware of BCIS option if they can prove residence here and if I had any indication this person lived here would have included it. And I would not be debating this if you had just added that fact. But this time I am called wrong when I feel I am not wrong. Am wrong enough without any extra strikes against me. :o

Technically you are correct in that the petition cannot be file directly with consular officer in Thailand (see FAM 9 201). I stand corrected and apologize for the "wrong". :o

Of course, the net effect of having a BCIS office in Thailand and being able to file the petition there is virtually the same as filing directly with consular officer, and if eligible, is still the fastest way to get a wife a green card.

TH

thank you both for your answers. i understand where both of you are coming from. on one hand, one person is answering the question literally. nothing more, nothing less. on the other hand, the other person understands the scope of my question and the reason why i'm asking it. they are answering not only the actual question, but also addressing the goal that i was trying to reach.

no, technically i dont live there... although i've been spending enough time there, i should be a resident by now. :o

ok, now stop arguing and go eat some som tom for me. :D

-k