Baht Bus - What A Humiliation

think_too_mut

Oh wait ... you've LIVED in Pattaya and only been in one ONE time? LOL

That's quite conceivable. I've been in Pattaya a year and have only used a baht bus twice. I'd go out of my way to avoid using them.

I also live in Pattaya (East of Sukh) and have my own car (not the stretch limo, though...) and use a Baht bus every half year or so....I think it's nothing unusual for the folks who actually live here.

When using a Baht bus I give them the fair indicated on their roaster (in Thai) and I stuck such roaster already in the face of a driver who wanted more.

Check other posts of mine about double pricing.... :o

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this argument necessary? Can't those who love the bahtbusses just accept that there is place for metered taxis as well?

I think nobody is suggesting that we should get rid of baht busses, just cut down the 60% who does nothing but cruising empty around the Beach Road - Pattaya Tai - 2nd Rd circuit and instead offer metered taxis for those who prefer that.

Why is that so difficult to live with?

You hit it on the head!

We who want more choices, like Bangkok style taxi meters, just want MORE CHOICES to fill the gaps. Not to kill the baht buses. They work great as buses on the main beach side routes. But the pro baht buseratti on this board are against this free choice.

Why is this argument necessary? Can't those who love the bahtbusses just accept that there is place for metered taxis as well?

I think nobody is suggesting that we should get rid of baht busses, just cut down the 60% who does nothing but cruising empty around the Beach Road - Pattaya Tai - 2nd Rd circuit and instead offer metered taxis for those who prefer that.

You hit it on the head!

We who want more choices, like Bangkok style taxi meters, just want MORE CHOICES to fill the gaps. Not to kill the baht buses. They work great as buses on the main beach side routes. But the pro baht buseratti on this board are against this free choice.

Goodness after all the disgusting names which you have called the baht bus drivers, and by the way there are quite a number of lady baht bus drivers, it is so reassuring that you don`t want to kill the baht buses. Also your praise that they work great as buses must be the biggest U turn of the day :o

I am sure that all the baht bus drivers will rest peacefully in their beds tonight (unless of course they are working very hard as usual) :D

[We who want more choices, like Bangkok style taxi meters, just want MORE CHOICES to fill the gaps.

Right, more choices are always good, but if we have more choices, taxis, in Pattaya, we need more roads as well... :o

I understand the difficult transport solution for people who live in East Pattaya, may be as far as Maprachan, but how to do?

[We who want more choices, like Bangkok style taxi meters, just want MORE CHOICES to fill the gaps.

Right, more choices are always good, but if we have more choices, taxis, in Pattaya, we need more roads as well... :o

I understand the difficult transport solution for people who live in East Pattaya, may be as far as Maprachan, but how to do?

It not only those east of Suk! Outside of the beach/2nd road circuit, and Pattaya Tai, Pattaya Klang, and a little bit Pattaya Nua, that's it! Look at a map and look at all the uncovered areas WEST of Suk.

This is by far the most intelligent post on the matter. It hits the nail right on the head. Exactly what we need. We need to start a new campaign; "Phil for Mayor!"

I live in Chiang Mai which fairly recently started using meter taxis. You know what happened? Because there's not enough of them to completely cover the city like they do in Bangkok, they don't just drive around looking for a fare. Instead it's all (mostly) by phone appointment. So you want a taxi, you call the phone number and a taxi may materialize. There's an extra fee for this pick-up of course, and also the meter fare is more expensive than in Bangkok. (Which is not strange in itself, Bangkok meter taxi prices were set in the late Jurassic period and haven't increased since.)

Oh yes, some taxis congregate at high-traffic spots such as the airport and some shopping malls... But good luck having them actually use the meter without phantom surcharge. So the result is that the baht buses (called red buses in Chiang Mai) are VASTLY more numerous, LOADS cheaper (even at 15 baht (!) and overall a lot less hassle.

Oh yes, we got busses too. Let's see how long these last. They mostly run around empty.

I think baht buses DO make sense for public transport in Pattaya. But I agree it's a bitch to agree on going anywhere outside a main loop.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Since I have that stretch limo with driver on standby I get around town quite hassle-free...just refilling the champagne fountain after midnight is quite a pain in the arse because of the alcohol sales ban...anyone an idea to overcome this inconvenience?

Well sire,

install a NGV tank in your trunk and fill it up with champagne. Please don't forget the cooling system........boiling champagne isn't that......

I live in Chiang Mai which fairly recently started using meter taxis. You know what happened? Because there's not enough of them to completely cover the city like they do in Bangkok, they don't just drive around looking for a fare. Instead it's all (mostly) by phone appointment. So you want a taxi, you call the phone number and a taxi may materialize. There's an extra fee for this pick-up of course, and also the meter fare is more expensive than in Bangkok. (Which is not strange in itself, Bangkok meter taxi prices were set in the late Jurassic period and haven't increased since.)

Oh yes, some taxis congregate at high-traffic spots such as the airport and some shopping malls... But good luck having them actually use the meter without phantom surcharge. So the result is that the baht buses (called red buses in Chiang Mai) are VASTLY more numerous, LOADS cheaper (even at 15 baht (!) and overall a lot less hassle.

Oh yes, we got busses too. Let's see how long these last. They mostly run around empty.

I think baht buses DO make sense for public transport in Pattaya. But I agree it's a bitch to agree on going anywhere outside a main loop.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chachao,

Based on my limited understanding of the fairly new taxi meters in Chiang Mai, these are the problems:

--- the fares aren't so great

--- the taxis are controlled by the same "company" that owns the baht buses (egads!!!!!)

--- there are still TOO FEW taxis, but they are increasing the number every year. If there were alot more taxis on the streets, that call in only aspect would likely be solved

Pattaya could learn from Chiang Mai about how to do it differently.

Edited by Jingthing

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chachao,

Based on my limited understanding of the fairly new taxi meters in Chiang Mai, these are the problems:

--- the taxis are controlled by the same "company" that owns the baht buses (egads!!!!!)

--- there are still TOO FEW taxis, but they are increasing the number every year. If there were alot more taxis on the streets, that call in only aspect would likely be solved

or learn from that glowing example of modern transportation efficiency, the 100% regulated taxi services in Singapore.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chachao,

or learn from that glowing example of modern transportation efficiency, the 100% regulated taxi services in Singapore.

Where would they start? I think most places in the world could learn from Singapore`s taxi service, but I don`t see this happening in Pattaya. The baht bus is here to stay! :o

Edited by Pattaya_Fox

It not only those east of Suk! Outside of the beach/2nd road circuit, and Pattaya Tai, Pattaya Klang, and a little bit Pattaya Nua, that's it! Look at a map and look at all the uncovered areas WEST of Suk.

No problem to go 3rd road, Naklua even late at night.

You will never pay more than 100, 120, 150 Baht....that's expensive enough, but just think about what you spend for drinking all night. It is in my budget, fix costs.

However I understand that ppl east of suk have a hard time. I have no idea what you would have to spend to go as far as Maprachan. Anyway I would not take this ride due to security concerns, on the other hand it provides you a good excuse to take a hotel downtown :o

The only concern I have about metered taxis is, that they will not replace the baht busses and we all will end up in huge traffic jams.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chachao,

Where would they start? I think most places in the world could learn from Singapore`s taxi service, but I don`t see this happening in Pattaya. The baht bus is here to stay! :o

you seriously think that Singapore taxi service is all that???!!! all those 'shift change' signs at rush hour? the priority to pick up phone-in customers versus those at the taxi ranks? the mysterious effect that rain has on their availability?

do you think that the metered taxis in pattaya will wait patiently at all those yellow/white kerbed areas like the baht buses do so diligently?

do you think the paying public will have the decency to walk to those designated areas rather than just flag down the nearest one at the end of the soi, causing bigger traffic jams because car doors need to be opened into the flow of moto-taxis rather than just hopping in over the tailgate on a baht bus?

i just don't see any benefit in having another couple of hundred metered taxis masquerading as an alternative method of public transport. only more traffic congestion and pollution.

....modern transportation efficiency, the 100% regulated taxi services in Singapore.

Indeed, Singapore has good taxis AND a cheap underground train service AND cheap buses AND pavments wide enough to walk on AND extensive no parking areas AND acceptance of farang ideas and input.

Pattaya has baht buses.

Pattaya has tried buses, no demand.

Pattaya has tried pavements, no way to profit after the first kick back.

Trains, I don't think so.

Parking? Nice try but all spaces taken by rental motorbikes.

Farang ideas about traffic flow and transport in Pattaya !

Pattaya will have baht buses.

Not used the baht bus for a while as I have a car.the thing i notice most though is that they are FREQUENT.

This is a bonus for anyone used to using london buses.

Last time I used them I paid 5 baht for the beach circuit,no complaints . A friend stayed with me last year-Lady 60 yo.who got the baht bus from Jomtien police box to Royal garden for 10 baht

daily.

Only time I was unhappy was 200 baht quoted from bus garage to my house.[east Pattaya.8 kilos]

....modern transportation efficiency, the 100% regulated taxi services in Singapore.

Pattaya has tried buses, no demand.

The main reason they even tried the buses was to prove your point above - no demand. Why not? Well for starters they charge 10x the bahtbus price for a ride (any length) - if you want to compete the first rule must to be competitive. Next, they have done a darn good job at making sure nobody understands their route or schedule. If they had been serious about this they could have been successful.

I do realize there is alot of passion about this subject, but remember we did a poll on this topic, got lots of votes, and most people do indeed want the CHOICE of taxi meters in Pattaya. Of course, the devil is in the details. Would they have Bangkok style meters, would they turn them on, would the taxis also be corrupt and owned by the baht bus mafia company, would they serve the areas where they are needed the most, outside the main baht bus routes?

Difficult problems, no doubt. But I don't understand the reaction, oh, forget it, God ordained baht buses only in Pattaya.

Regarding the concern about increased traffic with taxi meters in Pattaya, I do think that is short sighted. Look at New York City. Jam packed with taxis, yes. Now imagine how much MORE jam packed it would be if everyone who uses the taxis everyday had to run a car. You see, in Pattaya, the transport system is so crummy that it forces way more people to own a car or moto than actually want to. Better options, you would see a reduction in the rate of vehicle ownership.

FYI: The poll results. Over EIGHTY PERCENT want taxi meters in Pattaya. That is no grey area. People want them:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...02190&st=15

Edited by Jingthing

I used to use the baht buses quite a bit, along with moto-taxis (yeah, a bit of a death-wish I guess). Even now that I have my own moto (little 200cc Phantom), I still use the buses and moto-taxis on occasion.

I let the g/f make the arrangements (when "chartering" a b/:o and let her pay (with my money of course). Never had a problem with irate drivers, even had drivers help me carry furniture and mattresses up to my apartment.

When the public buses started out, they were more or less doomed from the beginning, even without the interference from the Baht Bus mafia. Charging 30 baht for a single trip (no transfers), or 90 baht for an all day ticket ? Only the uninitiated, first time tourists would go for that.

It would be nice to have a wider service area, but it doesn't appear that there is enough traffic (fare-wise) to justify it. Most of the money is down-town. If there was a huge demand for baht buses in other areas, you can bet they would be there. What driver wants to drive circles around Thepprasit road for 5-10 fares a night, when he might be able to score 40-50 fares along the #2 Road/Beach Road circuit instead ?

I took the g/f and one of her friends to dinner in Jomtien a short while ago. She negotiated a fare of 120 baht from South Pattaya to Jomtien. On the way back I think we had to wait a grand total of 3 minutes before being able to flag down a return trip (which ended up costing a total of 60 baht I think). Quick, simple, easy, cheap.

Last week I had to take a metered taxi from the Dubai airport to my hotel. Meter started at 20 Dirhams. The trip itself cost another 12. Just getting into the taxi was almost twice as expensive as the trip itself ! I've mentioned in other threads about metered taxis in places like Canada, where it costs 4-5 dollars the second you close the door, let alone the cost of actually getting to where you are going.

Whenever I read these baht bus threads, I get the distinct impression that there are a lot of people living in Pattaya on a wing and a prayer. I.E., they are scrapping loose 1 baht coins together to see if they will be able to eat that day. I've heard people crying when the baht has risen (against the UK pound for example) by just a couple baht per pound. Sounded like the world was coming to an end.

If you are living on that slim of a margin, where paying an extra 5 baht for a ride that may be 3-4 kilometers in length is causing you great concern, then you could be in a world of hurt if the baht ever does surge in value.

And for those that disagree with the "double standard" policy, look a little closer at your home county. You don't think there are double standards there ? Take Canada for example, where a 1 year university course may cost a Canadian $4,000, for a non-Canadian it could be up to 4 times that much.

Same thing happens in the States. No doubt it happens in other places as well, though it may not be a visible as it is in Thailand.

Kerry,

Excuse me, but I am advocating for TAXIS that would be by definition more expensive than 10 baht, but sometimes taxi rides are sorely needed. I think you are just having fun with Pattaya stereotypes is all. This is about more amenities for Pattaya, for rich and poor.

It has been stated AD NAUSEUM that the baht bus taxis do indeed work fine for the few mainstream routes, but outside those routes things fall apart. That is not good.

Also, there is really no comparison with a private taxi overcharging people versus a GOVERNMENT body doing the same. Apples and oranges. There are actually good justifications for charging non-residents more for a state college tuition, the out of staters didn't pay that state's taxes.

Edited by Jingthing

I used to use the baht buses quite a bit, along with moto-taxis (yeah, a bit of a death-wish I guess). Even now that I have my own moto (little 200cc Phantom), I still use the buses and moto-taxis on occasion.

I let the g/f make the arrangements (when "chartering" a b/:o and let her pay (with my money of course). Never had a problem with irate drivers, even had drivers help me carry furniture and mattresses up to my apartment.

When the public buses started out, they were more or less doomed from the beginning, even without the interference from the Baht Bus mafia. Charging 30 baht for a single trip (no transfers), or 90 baht for an all day ticket ? Only the uninitiated, first time tourists would go for that.

It would be nice to have a wider service area, but it doesn't appear that there is enough traffic (fare-wise) to justify it. Most of the money is down-town. If there was a huge demand for baht buses in other areas, you can bet they would be there. What driver wants to drive circles around Thepprasit road for 5-10 fares a night, when he might be able to score 40-50 fares along the #2 Road/Beach Road circuit instead ?

I took the g/f and one of her friends to dinner in Jomtien a short while ago. She negotiated a fare of 120 baht from South Pattaya to Jomtien. On the way back I think we had to wait a grand total of 3 minutes before being able to flag down a return trip (which ended up costing a total of 60 baht I think). Quick, simple, easy, cheap.

Last week I had to take a metered taxi from the Dubai airport to my hotel. Meter started at 20 Dirhams. The trip itself cost another 12. Just getting into the taxi was almost twice as expensive as the trip itself ! I've mentioned in other threads about metered taxis in places like Canada, where it costs 4-5 dollars the second you close the door, let alone the cost of actually getting to where you are going.

Whenever I read these baht bus threads, I get the distinct impression that there are a lot of people living in Pattaya on a wing and a prayer. I.E., they are scrapping loose 1 baht coins together to see if they will be able to eat that day. I've heard people crying when the baht has risen (against the UK pound for example) by just a couple baht per pound. Sounded like the world was coming to an end.

If you are living on that slim of a margin, where paying an extra 5 baht for a ride that may be 3-4 kilometers in length is causing you great concern, then you could be in a world of hurt if the baht ever does surge in value.

And for those that disagree with the "double standard" policy, look a little closer at your home county. You don't think there are double standards there ? Take Canada for example, where a 1 year university course may cost a Canadian $4,000, for a non-Canadian it could be up to 4 times that much.

Same thing happens in the States. No doubt it happens in other places as well, though it may not be a visible as it is in Thailand.

Good post Kerryd..........talking common sense as opposed to the kind of hype we hear from presidential pen pushers who jump on the band waggon and try to Spin and buldoze their way into changing things when the facts are plain to see and completely ignored during a debate.

1. The baht bus system and their drivers provide a superb service to thousands of people both Thai and foreign tourists and residents.

2. The service which they provide is very cheap compared to what other proposed services would cost.

3. The baht bus does cater for people living outside the centre of Pattaya and actually covers quite a large area.

4.There are countless taxi services available in Pattaya should someone not wish to travel by baht bus or prefer the comfort of an air conditioned car....telephone numbers are available.

5. By introducing more vehicles i.e. metered taxis to Pattaya`s traffic system then more congestion and air pollution would ensue.

6. The waiting time for a baht bus is in many cases seconds or at the most a few minutes during many hours of the day and night.

7. There will always be exceptions to any rule and any transport system, but the facts are plain to see:- the baht bus system WORKS..........the staff who operate them on the whole are just ordinary workers trying to earn a living. There are as previously mentioned other facilities already available should people not wish to use a baht bus.

Many people go to Pattaya and reside in Pattaya because it is NOT like the USA. :D

:D

Edited by Pattaya_Fox

Well, I have started this topic and looks like I have to retreat.

I have seen public transport that works perfectly. In Japan, Singapore. The joke called SkyTrain in BKK is actually good - if you live near the station.

From above, from 30,000 feet, Pattaya, a world known destination, is a junior.

There is an indefinite number of people who would go there once in life time. They might have expected (or desired) even less, rick-shaws and go on with anything better than Volga taxi to move them around.

If Pattaya's answer to the needs of it's residents and the tourists is baht buses, so be it.