How bad is it to beep the horn here?

bbabythai

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Sounding ones horn applies to anywhere in the world. It's called 'driving etiquette';. With regards to road rage I've never seen any road rage here in 13 years and I assure all I use my horn lots when some Somchai deserves it. And I'd lay odds that road rage is more common in the UK than here. 

You're either trolling for some attention, or you've never driven in Thailand.

• Like 1

It remains a fact, that non-Thais are second class people; if Thais honk at each other it turns ugly, if a Farang honks at a Thai it ends in a fist-fight if you're lucky 
I have honked my horn hundreds of times never ever had a problem .and i hear Thais honking their horns all the time here in Pattaya this thread is rubbish

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounding ones horn applies to anywhere in the world. It's called 'driving etiquette';. With regards to road rage I've never seen any road rage here in 13 years and I assure all I use my horn lots when some Somchai deserves it. And I'd lay odds that road rage is more common in the UK than here. 

Same with me, 18 years never witnessed road rage???

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Interesting thread............... I drive a lot here and use my horn when it is necessary, especially if it means avoiding an accident, going by some comments then I am making a choice, either die or get hurt in an avoidable accident by not blowing my horn, or get shot because I blew my horn!

Road rage, in my experience here, exists and a lot of the times it isn't necessarily blowing the horn that activates it, a good majority of the locals in general absolutely must be in front at all times and at all costs, taking huge risks to be so, put them in a position that stops this and it can result in road rage.

It is a part of the "culture", personally I just let them get on with it and only take action if it is likely to mean that I am going to have an accident because of it.

In reality though, road rage is a far more frequent occurrence in the UK for example just perhaps with less consequence.

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

I have honked my horn hundreds of times never ever had a problem .and i hear Thais honking their horns all the time here in Pattaya this thread is rubbish

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I use my horn too, but only on the occasions where someone doesn't see me and I need to make them aware of me - and it's a light tap. It's how you use your horn that makes the difference. 

• Like 1

In general, in Southeast Asian countries the car horn is used for its original intended purpose, to let someone know you're coming. They take this to the extreme in Cambodia and Vietnam by beeping it constantly when traveling on national (inter-provincial) roads.

The way the car horn is typically used in the US is nothing like this; instead, it's used to "punish" people you deem to have done something stupid. Fits in with the general American attitude of trying to push our morality on others, sadly.

But I digress. Your wife was right to warn you: while it certainly may be true that Thais may sometimes use the horn in the "American" way (to punish someone they're angry at), if you're a farang you're always judged by a different set of rules...so if it's perceived that you're expressing angry at someone, you could very well be setting yourself up for getting shot, stabbed, kicked (by, say, the driver you offended and several other Thais nearby who might decide to join in), beaten with the iron rod the Thai motorist keeps in his car for just such occasions, etc. So you should exercise restraint with your expressions of anger (this goes for the entire time you're in Thailand).

• Like 2

Great reply here regarding Thai drivers.Whoever thinks most Thai drivers are tooled up are living in a dream.

Compared to the UK, I find Thai drivers generally don't display aggression. Appalling lack of anticipation; total lack of understanding about why tailgating is potentially lethal; out in the country, total lack of road sense; etc etc. But road rage? Occasionally from a BMW driver, but in general Thais seem very accepting of being cut up etc. I put it down to a mixture of Buddhism and 'mai pen rai'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geronimo said:

Beeping you horn should only be used here to let another road user know you are there.

I did exactly that, just a once off toot, with three Thais on motorbikes, they then attacked my car by bashing the sides with their helmets, they only stopped and took off when I recovered from the surprise and swerved by car towards them.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:32 PM, jvs said:

Be careful out there,you may meet people like this one.

I found the more quiet ones more dangerous. It is like thai motorbikes, alot of noise but no power!

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

I did exactly that, just a once off toot, with three Thais on motorbikes, they then attacked my car by bashing the sides with their helmets, they only stopped and took off when I recovered from the surprise and swerved by car towards them.

Maybe incorrect horn protocol?

For road rage to happen you need 2 angry macho drivers. You can get into a road rage every day or never. Choice is yours. Luckily most Thai drivers behave but a good % are complete wackos, distance yourself as fast as possible from them, it is surely not in our nature but that’s where brains should take over.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

23 hours ago, simple1 said:

You did the right thing, they did not!

• 2 weeks later...

road rage shootings and stabbings rare? every other day 1-2 people get stabbed or shot in road rages... just last week  3 days in a row, 1 person got shot dead in road rages. one of them  A policeman was shot dead in Chumphon province on Sunday night after the driver of the car he was in angered a truck driver by cutting in front of him.

it is funny that many people say shooting and such and some people say oh they must be exaggerating or that has to be rare, without knowing anything, same as with crime in thailand. 

many expats/tourists logic - ive never seen any crime= thailand super safe and no to little crime....  or reliable on thai crime stats ?  im not saying thailand is very dangerous for travelers/tourists, but it can easily happen a tourist or expat if unlucky or behaving bad, flashing money and wealth, not minding your own business. 

I beeped my horn at a driver who was driving worst than normal and he chased me down the road and threatened to shoot me. What is the mentality of thai men when they threaten murder over something so trivial.

(especially as he was in the wrong).

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

What is the mentality of thai men when they threaten murder over something so trivial.

Hmmm, the mentality of Thai men.  How about this American guy who shot another guy dead over a parking spot? 

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/argument-over-handicapped-parking-spot-leads-to-deadly-shooting-deputies-say

You'd have to be sort of a dope to think that this is about the "mentality of Thai men."

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I beeped my horn at a driver who was driving worst than normal and he chased me down the road and threatened to shoot me. What is the mentality of thai men when they threaten murder over something so trivial.

(especially as he was in the wrong).

Sorry but i think that's hilarious....

"i'm gonna shoot you" i consider in Thailand to be the same as "do you know who i am", normally silly little men trying to be a big shot ( no pun intended ).

46 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Sorry but i think that's hilarious....

"i'm gonna shoot you" i consider in Thailand to be the same as "do you know who i am", normally silly little men trying to be a big shot ( no pun intended ).

I guess retards you can meet in any country, and not only happens in Thailand. Enough videos shows that on youtube.