Why are there less people in bars from 2009 to 2015 in southern Phuket

AdamTheFarang

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes IMO...……And I think the graph regarding the currency changes is a direct pointer to this and why people are not flocking here in the same numbers – – their holiday/spending money just does not go as far.

Not only that, the GFC affected people in other ways (struggling pension funds and banks etc and some funds disappearing altogether) and quite probably made people tighten up on their spending.

And to take it a step further, the influx of Chinese, Indians, Arabs and the like, as well as some young families of those nationalities, do not spend time in bars (well not too much anyway apart from the occasional small party of Chinese who will enjoy a live band).

I remember the good old days of a completely full Soi Eric, Soi Lion, Soi Crocodile and the original Tiger complex, as well as bars along the beach road and Sawadirak road, not to mention other places, and now those have gone.

Sure there is the "resurrected" Tiger and the new Tiger complex, however a great percentage of those bars are now empty and un-leased and Soi Eric has its fair share of empty bars. So yes, less bars.

See above...……….

Soi Eric? Never heard of it.

18 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yes, more Chinese are coming to Thailand.  It is what it is.  But are you suggesting more sex tourists would be good for Thailand? 

I would say yes, if only from a financial point of view. More sex tourists will help fill up hotels, bars, and restaurants.

21 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Yes, an interesting thread.

"it was obvious that the sex tourist was in rapid decline" - this is an interesting comment.  

If there is one thing Thailand has, it's an abundance of cheap sex workers.  Thailand is famous for its sex trade. 

Are you saying sex tourists are not coming to Thailand, or are just not coming to Phuket?

compare to the 90s and early 2000s, its a huge difference. There is not an abudnance anymore....not to even mention the quality. 

I think there are less bars like other posters have said, exchange rate and prices of goods have gone up.

11 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm..... less farangs are coming to Thailand because of all the visa BS primarily I suggest and with the increased cost of living and entertainment etc people are going somewhere else.Its certainly true for me and I suspect many others

Most farangs from western countries don't even need a Visa to visit Thailand for 30 days. I have no issues getting my yearly Visa extensions and now with the online 90 day reports working, I only have to go to immigration once a year! Well, actually twice. One day I apply for the one year extension and have to come back the next afternoon to pick up my passport and get a re-entry permit, just in case.

I would say, as has been mentioned, changing demographics  and exchange rates may be more of the issue than a visa. Also the price of a drink these days in a bar isn't a very good deal. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm..... less farangs are coming to Thailand because of all the visa BS primarily I suggest and with the increased cost of living and entertainment etc people are going somewhere else.Its certainly true for me and I suspect many others

I have always said that the Thai government have shot themselves in the foot with all their visa BS, hotel and restaurant owners must be cursing them.

Another thing while I'm here, when I first came to Thailand between 2001 and 2005 when there was around 70 Baht to the GBP,  there were two occasions when I got three window seats to myself on the Plane, the first one was with KLM, second time Thai airways. Why is there no chance of this now when there are a lot less tourists, and the exchange rate is so bad, and everything else is so much dearer?

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Soi Eric? Never heard of it.

One of the best and most liveliest soi up until sold and demolished about 4-5 yrs ago...……..now Soi Freedom as I said in my follow up post!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

one night 4 Chinese men came in, sat down at a table and asked for 4 glasses and ice. They then pulled out their 711 bought beers and proceeded to drink them. He thought ok they may buy food. When asked to order they said they didn't want so he kicked them out.

Similar happens many times here in my local Starbucks...……..a party of 4-6 sit down at a table, dump their Big C shopping bags and sit there without buying anything, shouting and taking up valuable space.

A few locals like myself, at times have nowhere to sit. Bloody annoying, and now when I see it I get one of the Starbucks staff to go to the table and present them with a menu!! They soon shift when they know they have to buy something.

You should have caught the next plane , it wasn't even half full !

I would agree that Thailands bars arent a bargain anymore.

Maybe going out drinking is something tourists can cut from their itinerary to save money - 7/11 beers by the pool  may happen a lot more regularly than before..

Theres certainly way more 7/11s...

Edited by zaZa9

8 minutes ago, mike324 said:

compare to the 90s and early 2000s, its a huge difference. There is not an abudnance anymore....not to even mention the quality. 

I think there are less bars like other posters have said, exchange rate and prices of goods have gone up.

Nothing to do with sex tourist decline. All about the regime and there China love. Happy to sacrifice Thai entertainment industry for smoking buses and remove income from the huge bar industry. Also removing any mystic Thailand once had. That's why they will get elected and they know it lol.

7 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Most farangs from western countries don't even need a Visa to visit Thailand for 30 days. I have no issues getting my yearly Visa extensions and now with the online 90 day reports working, I only have to go to immigration once a year! Well, actually twice. One day I apply for the one year extension and have to come back the next afternoon to pick up my passport and get a re-entry permit, just in case.

I would say, as has been mentioned, changing demographics  and exchange rates may be more of the issue than a visa. Also the price of a drink these days in a bar isn't a very good deal. 

I would say that the visa situation will affect a lot more of the younger tourists under fifty, who want to stay longer term, I think that is the most common age for tourists. A lot of hotels and restaurants will be losing a lot of business there.

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Similar happens many times here in my local Starbucks...……..a party of 4-6 sit down at a table, dump their Big C shopping bags and sit there without buying anything, shouting and taking up valuable space.

A few locals like myself, at times have nowhere to sit. Bloody annoying, and now when I see it I get one of the Starbucks staff to go to the table and present them with a menu!! They soon shift when they know they have to buy something.

These people are really the pits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would say that the visa situation will affect a lot more of the younger tourists under fifty, who want to stay longer term, I think that is the most common age for tourists. A lot of hotels and restaurants will be losing a lot of business there.

The immigration laws haven't changed since 2004 when I arrived, other than they want a map and a photo of you in front of your house, so I really doubt it has any influence on the fewer numbers at bars. Under 50, get a multi entry tourist visa and thirty day extensions... And now you get 30 days even at a land border, no more 15 days and no limit to the number of entries with a multi entry tourist visa.  Only two entries without a visa.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have always said that the Thai government have shot themselves in the foot with all their visa BS, hotel and restaurant owners must be cursing them.

Another thing while I'm here, when I first came to Thailand between 2001 and 2005 when there was around 70 Baht to the GBP,  there were two occasions when I got three window seats to myself on the Plane, the first one was with KLM, second time Thai airways. Why is there no chance of this now when there are a lot less tourists, and the exchange rate is so bad, and everything else is so much dearer?

Trouble is that 70 Baht rate was an aberration due to f/x meddling. When I arrived in 1996 it was 36 baht to GBP. In 1998/89-ish I was getting 90 baht to the GPB but just for a single week. Since then the rate has declined due to global financials, and BritExit killed the Baht rate.  So for me 44 Baht is still a better rate than I initially invested in Thailand when buying a 30 year lease and plunking a big fixed deposit in a Thai bank, and back then I was getting 18% fixed interest. Enough to live off, but no way now. So as expected it's all a big money roller coaster.

• Like 2

Short answer   "Yes" because there are less farangs coming to Thailand.

You lot going on about exchange rates must realize that your countries currency is weak because

your balance of trade just cannot sustain it where as Thailand's economy is moving along pretty well

with very few bludging off the state

I think what has happened is a lot of girls just use their phones now to get sex work and cut the bar out.   All they need is 10 or so Johns and they are set.  I could see in Pattaya 7 years ago that the best girls were walking around the malls during the day with their phones.   since then just about everyone has a phone now.  Before they were bored with no phones and they made a good effort to be friendly.   Times have changed.  

20 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

But that did change (for awhile at least). For example, between late 2005 and the Fall of 2006, I had a 9 month gap between contracts. Too young for a "Retirement" Visa, didn't want to splurge on an "Elite" card and never even thought about going to a different country to get a Tourist Visa of any kind. 
Didn't seem worth the hassle when all I had to do was make a trip to the border once a month, spend 2,500 baht which included 2 meals, a movie or 2 and expert assistance with the process, and I was good to go for another month.

Did that 9 times in a row before we finally went back to work. But it wasn't long after that when they started cracking down on the huge numbers of other people that were doing the same thing. When you see all those buses full of people at the same border crossings and realize that it literally happens every single day, probably at most major border crossings around the country, you realize that you aren't talking about a couple hundred people doing a "30 Day" runs every month, but more like 10s of thousands that were (are) doing it. 

I think when they cracked down on the "Border Runners" it may have resulted in a lot of them looking for greener pastures elsewhere. Remember how the rule had changed that you could only get something like 3 "30 Day" stamps in a year, then it was you could only get 15 days at land borders, then it was changed back to 30 days (for some countries).

There were a lot of people that were living here on those 30 Day stamps. I haven't had to do a "border run" in over a decade so I'm not sure if they are still as busy as they used to be but I suspect that a lot of those people aren't here anymore.

Or they got older than 50 and got a retirement extension, like I did once I turned 50. Yes, I was one of those who did the visa run to Ranong every 30 days. I guess I was "lucky" when I turned 50, right as they were "cracking down" on visa runs! 

Try getting your Thai wife a visa to go to the USA if you think the immigration laws are bad here! It took me about 2 years. After 5 years she now has a10 year  US Green Card, a couple of thousand dollars later in fees alone! Along with a ream of paperwork I did, or you can add another $10K USD for an immigration attorney!

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

Thailand is getting old, especially myself that it Feels less safe. Money doesn't go far. 

I don't go out as much as I used to

Cambodia is alot cheaper, and have spent more time there than Thailand. A pint of beer is 15Bt, here it rarely goes below 100Bt

I'm working in Myanmar, I just choose P. P over Bangkok. 

Police checkpoints discourage lots of farangs from going out at night.

Add in the overpriced taxi fares and what once was a reasonable expenditure becomes prohibitive.

Edited by Mauiguy
Spelling errors
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

<snip>

I think what may have happened is that, long ago, Thailand realized that most of the "sex tourists" were coming from "Western" countries and it was all that nasty sex business that was giving the country a bad name.

Hence, I suspect that the "powers that be" decided to tone down the tourism promotions in the Western countries and increase it in places like India and China. Perhaps they thought that the loss of revenue from the high spending Westerners would be offset by greater numbers of tourists from "poorer" countries.

<snip>
So back to the beginning. If the plan of the "powers that be" was to try and improve Thailand's image by reducing the "sex trade" and targeting tourism from places like India and China to make up for the lost "sex tourism" money, the plan isn't working.
The sex trade doesn't seem to be diminished at all but a lot of businesses aren't making anywhere near the same money they used to.

Yes. The Patong 'city fathers' talked about that 'policy' about 10 years ago. They made it very clear that they wanted the 'sleeze' in Bangla moved away to the outskirts of Patong, and family friendly venues opened, like mini malls and shopping.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:05 AM, BritManToo said:

Our money (all white currencies) is worth less in Thailand, and prices (especially of women) in Thailand are a lot higher.

Lots of other countries to visit where the currency changes are little or none.

Without the lure of cheap women, no point in visiting a bar.

I still visit Thailand but drink at home.

Coconut lady (beach Rd.) still selling their wares between 500 and 700 Bt....too expensive?

On 7/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, NamKangMan said:

"I still visit Thailand but drink at home." - huh????

a Russian saying goes that most drinkers are not alcoholics because they drink with someone else,
but that drinking alone means you for sure are an alcoholic.

Also, it was recognised recently (about 15 years ago) that beer alcoholism does exist. Did you know that ?