Crackdown launched against illegal car parking and  driving by motorbikes on sidewalks

webfact

Crackdown launched against illegal car parking and  driving by motorbikes on sidewalks

By Thai PBS

file BKK.jpg

FILE photo

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration launched a city-wide crackdown on Thursday against motorcycle riding or car parking on sidewalks.

The crackdown was focused on 115 points of sidewalks where there have been numerous complaints against car parking or driving of motorcycles.  City police have been deployed to man all the 115 points, with a table being placed at each of the points to issue tickets to the violators.

Bangkok deputy governor Sakonthee Patthiyakul said that city police could immediately arrest and fine violators on the spot, with the maximum amount of fine as high as 5,000 baht.  But he said violators would be initially fined 500 baht.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/crackdown-launched-illegal-car-parking-driving-motorbikes-sidewalks/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-13

27 minutes ago, malt25 said:

" with a table being placed at each of the points to issue tickets to the violators." No need for any BIB. Tables will do the job. Thai ingenuity at it's best. 

But I hope someone is seriously monitoring the procurement of the 115 new tables to ensure there's no %.

2 hours ago, berybert said:

How can it be a waste of manpower ?

These guy either fine people riding bikes on the pavement or people littering, that's what they are paid to do.

Would you rather they sit in their huts watching T.V. ?

That's exactly what will happen after the 3 day crackdown...……..they'll be overworked and tired.

Edited by PatOngo

WAIT!! 

I have a novel idea.  Let's ban motorcycle renting groups from taking up all the bike parking with their 50 bikes for rent.  Imagine all the free parking space that would be available ... for sure in Pattaya, I don't know about anywhere else.

And yes, I know that there is a limit of 5 bikes per motorcycle rental group ... that is why there are 10 different rental groups at the corner. :(

I've said that since the first day I arrived here.  But if you want to talk about an entrenched corrupt business, look no further.  It is not unusual to see a uniformed high ranking policeman in a police truck park in the middle of the street regularly to collect his cut ... always smoking his pipe.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

That's exactly what will happen after the 3 day crackdown...……..they'll be overworked and tired.

They have been stopping and fining people under the Phrom Phong BTS station for the past couple of months. 

So it seems you are a tiny bit off.