Belgian loses watch to foreign grifter

Rimmer

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's ridiculous. Nobody should accept being a crime victim as the status quo.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If this wasn't a gay thing, we probably wouldn't even notice it

Lots of men get robbed  by female hookers and you don't hear anything about it

And 10k watch is not expensive lol

Lot of hidden victim blaming here, just like in the topic of girls that get raped. Sure we should take care in the world and mind what we are doing. But who says how much care we have to take ? Its a slippery slope, next time if an older farang is ripped off by his young Thai gf will we be saying that the guy should have stuck with girls his own age and he should have known she was in it for the money. Where does it end ? Maybe next remark is stay out of Thailand and it would not have happened ?

Its a crime to steal from people and it should be punished regardless of how it happened. 

• Like 1

If this wasn't a gay thing, we probably wouldn't even notice it Lots of men get robbed  by female hookers and you don't hear anything about it

And 10k watch is not expensive lol

Nah you're wrong. There have been theft charges against female prostitutes before. Plenty. They sometimes involve drugging. 

Of course many people straight and gay may be reluctant to report because of embarrassment but more serious cases do tend to become public particularly the drugging cases in hotels. If documents like passports are involved the victims would have no choice about making it public.

No 10000 baht isn't an impressively costly watch if you're talking about watches but if you're talking about monetary cost to replace that is not petty theft. In this context a 300 baht copy watch would be petty theft and likely nobody would report a theft at that level especially if there was embarrassment involved. I think most people wouldn't even have reported a watch at the 10000 level but this guy did and that's fine.

• Like 1

Any picture taken I would refuse and wear a mask , now his name and face is all over the web. At least he should have turned around when he saw the guy with the camera.

1 minute ago, balo said:

Any picture taken I would refuse and wear a mask , now his name and face is all over the web. At least he should have turned around when he saw the guy with the camera.

That doesn't sound fully realistic. 
The guy that made the report is not the criminal. 

If he covered his face, he would appear as a guilty one.

That's something accused criminals do.

I get it though.

You often can't win. 

You have to think long and hard about reporting ANY crime here.

The public exposure just isn't usually worth it.

But there are many cases where you have no choice but to report.

Oh well. 

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The guy was invited to his room. It's fair to assume it was likely about sex. It is not fair to assume it was necessarily a commercial transaction as some have insinuated. It might have been or maybe not. Perhaps sex was hinted at or promised merely as a way to be invited in for a potential theft. In any case, an expensive item was reported as stolen. There is no way even if there was a commercial agreement that an expensive watch was promised. People have suggested the victim refused to pay the guy for sex. You don't even know if there was sex, and you certainly don't know if there was a commercial agreement that he refused to pay. That to me sounds highly unlikely.

The report to the police explained why the accused was there. Maybe that was the truth, maybe not. Most are assuming not, which is understandable. But he was invited regardless. An expensive item was reported stolen. What does sex if there was any have to do with that at all? 

You're wrong that no nobody is criticizing him for being gay. 
I posted a link with an anti-gay SLUR. Did you miss it?

The sexual insinuations, the gay slurs, make this story juicier than it actually is. The alleged thief gained access to the guy's room as he was invited. The report was about a theft. That is the crime if it did occur (seems likely). It's not a crime to invite people into your room to watch football, have sex, whatever. It is a crime to STEAL. 

I think you are innocent. Many points for you to think. How the arab guy known the tel number of the belgium guy ? If he was just a thief he will known to whom he will sell the watch. 5000 baths is usually the price for a gay prostitute (they ask for more than the female). In my case, if I meet a girl in a restaurant and if she aggree after 20 minutes to follow me in my room is not for watching TV. She known and I known is for sex, same with gay. Now we are in Pattaya and like I said before sex is not free here only an innocent will beleive that.

1 hour ago, marco999 said:

I think you are innocent. Many points for you to think. How the arab guy known the tel number of the belgium guy ? If he was just a thief he will known to whom he will sell the watch. 5000 baths is usually the price for a gay prostitute (they ask for more than the female). In my case, if I meet a girl in a restaurant and if she aggree after 20 minutes to follow me in my room is not for watching TV. She known and I known is for sex, same with gay. Now we are in Pattaya and like I said before sex is not free here only an innocent will beleive that.

No, I am not naive but I think you are on the bizarre side.

I'm not going to dignify that post with much of a comprehensive answer because we're not here to talk prices for sex tourism and that would be against the rules here even if we were, but the obvious reason the alleged thief has his phone number is because the crime reporter GAVE him his phone number. Also, dude, GET REAL, I've already acknowledged it was likely it was a sex hookup, commercial or otherwise. It might have possibly been a meetup from a "dating" app. So freakin' what? The police report was about a theft. If you're suggesting the crime victim agreed to pay his 10,000 baht baht watch and then reported it stolen, don't be ridiculous. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I will add something else.

As the world knows Pattaya is a "hub" of commercial sex.

Over the years, there have been numerous press reports of prostitutes complaining to police of non-payment for commercial sex services.

They don't arrest the prostitute for that ... they go after the punter.

So if this was a case of non-payment which I'm not saying it was but it seems others are, if there really was a consensual agreement of payment for sex services that was not paid, the accused man could have appealed his case to the police.

IF he is caught (and he might be as there is a picture) if it was about non-payment issue, he can tell his story then. 

But a watch was clearly still STOLEN, whatever the back story.

Don't blame the victim!

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, robblok said:

Lot of hidden victim blaming here, just like in the topic of girls that get raped. Sure we should take care in the world and mind what we are doing. But who says how much care we have to take ? Its a slippery slope, next time if an older farang is ripped off by his young Thai gf will we be saying that the guy should have stuck with girls his own age and he should have known she was in it for the money. Where does it end ? Maybe next remark is stay out of Thailand and it would not have happened ?

Its a crime to steal from people and it should be punished regardless of how it happened. 

And to hold property against non payment?

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Again you are just making stuff up. If this guy was aware of such a conflict it's extremely unlikely he would have made a police report.

Now you are making stuff up - come on look at the value of the watch....you think some one who is prepared to make a police report for10,000 baht watch is 'likely' to want to pay 5000 baht for sex?

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

And to hold property against non payment?

If that was the case I understand it, but that is not what was in this story.  Holding property against non payment is normal. Though without agreement in writing it might still be theft. Taking a watch if someone is not paying for services is not exactly legal. 

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

If that was the case I understand it, but that is not what was in this story.  Holding property against non payment is normal. Though without agreement in writing it might still be theft. Taking a watch if someone is not paying for services is not exactly legal. 

Agree Rob - what was he doing for the 4 days - negotiating?

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Agree Rob - what was he doing for the 4 days - negotiating?

Don't know where you read about the 4 days.. But I did read that others said that this guy has stolen from tourists before. (main article)

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That doesn't sound fully realistic. 
The guy that made the report is not the criminal. 

If he covered his face, he would appear as a guilty one.

I do not agree , you need to do it as a precaution here .  

In the western world , your name would not be printed in the media , and they would ask you first if you want to be photographed .  If you're fine about it no problem . 

But here they just don't ask , take a picture and release it in the local media . So if I get in trouble I would at least wear caps and sunglasses. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Who in their right mind befriends someone and takes them back to their room, i.e. unless they are looking to lose some valuables ?

Er, 98.5% of visitors to Thailand...

23 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Er, 98.5% of visitors to Thailand...

Hopefully knowing which bar they picked them up from so as to be able to go back with the cops if there was an issue, but if they had half a brain they would have their valuables in the safe as I do and make sure that the hotels policy is that of which all girls give their ID's in to the check in counter, which is photocopied and returned upon exiting, with me giving them a little hug goodby....555