After cave ordeal, Thai boys now face battle with fame

webfact

By James Pearson and Patpicha Tanakasempipat

2018-07-13T060137Z_1_LYNXMPEE6C0B4_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE-FAME.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A screen grab shows people looking through glass at the boys rescued from the Thai cave at a hospital in Chiang Rai, Thailand from a July 11, 2018 handout video. Government Public Relations Department (PRD) and Government Spokesman Bureau/Handout via REUTERS TV

CHIANG RAI, Thailand (Reuters) - After their traumatic ordeal deep inside a dark and flooded mountain cave, Thailand's 12 rescued boys and their young soccer coach will now have to navigate a fresh challenge: Fame.

The boys, aged 11 to 16, will spend at least a week in hospital and a month at home, health officials said, following a daring rescue from the Tham Luang cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai that captivated the world.

"The world is watching," said Kham-oey Promthep, 64, grandmother of 13-year-old Duangpetch Promthep, or Dom, 13, captain of the 'Wild Boars' soccer team.

"He was trapped in a cave and everyone in the country and from around the world had to come and help him. What do we have to give them in return?" Kham-oey told Reuters.

"We have nothing, so he must be a good boy."

They already face the pressure of rising expectations.

The head of the Thai navy SEAL diving team involved in their rescue urged the boys to make the most of their lives and "be a force for good".

Global attention on their fate and the multinational rescue has put the area firmly on the map, with plans for a museum to showcase the rescue.

Despite the heightened interest and pressure, the boys need to live as normally as possible, said Dr. Andrea Danese of the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King's College in London.

"The boys need to go back to their normal life, to their daily routines, in order to fully appreciate that the threat is over," said Danese, who heads the institute's stress and development laboratory.

His research suggested up to 20 percent of the boys may develop longer-term psychiatric disorders such as depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has asked that the boys be given time and personal space to recover. "The best way is not to bother them and let them study," he told reporters this week.

'PARASITES'

Thai authorities have prevented the world's media, camped in cafes and at street corners outside the hospital in Chiang Rai, from interviewing the boys, and with good reason, Danese said.

"Intense media scrutiny might act as a reminder of their traumatic experience and prevent them from settling back to normal life," he said.

The story is already set for a retelling by Hollywood, with two production companies looking to put together movies about the boys and their daring rescue.

It was a similar case eight years ago when 33 gold miners spent 69 days trapped underground at the San Jose mine in northern Chile.

One of the miners, Jorge Galleguillos, told Reuters the parents of the cave boys should ensure they have no unaccompanied contact with lawyers or journalists.

A movie starring Antonio Banderas called "The 33" was produced in consultation with the miners - who are taking legal action against their own lawyers following a dispute over the profits from the film.

Two of the accused lawyers told Reuters that the accusation was "without substance".

"A lot of parasites will want them to sign the rights to books, to films," said Galleguillos. "It's dangerous, after everything that's happened, that you become a global celebrity and everyone wants something from you".

For now, the families are focused on the more immediate relief of being reunited with their loved ones.

"I don't know how he will cope (with the attention)," said Oui-pan Sompiengjai, 66, grandmother of 16-year-old Pheeraphat Sompiengjai.

"I'm just happy he got out of the cave".

(Additional reporting by Aislinn Laing in SANTIAGO and Panu Wongcha-um in CHIANG RAI; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Darren Schuettler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-13

43 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Why should they be considered as Famous ?  They did something that was potentially dangerous, some would say it was a stupid idea to go in the cave, and they got caught out by the water and nearly died a slow death. That is NOT how you become famous. Too many media outlets, mainly TV,   like to portray people as "Famous" or a "Celebrity" When they have really done nothing worthy. 

In whatever terms you call it, whether you like it or not, whether it is right or wrong - they are world famous right now.

Human species are such.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Why should they be considered as Famous ?  They did something that was potentially dangerous, some would say it was a stupid idea to go in the cave, and they got caught out by the water and nearly died a slow death. That is NOT how you become famous. Too many media outlets, mainly TV,   like to portray people as "Famous" or a "Celebrity" When they have really done nothing worthy. 

I'm afraid this is how things are now days as the world runs out of talent and the likes of tv and films scrape the barrel.

• Like 2

Someone should take the wild boar boys aside  and guide them in the right direction , whether this is their coach or someone in their village area, they were rescued from a situation that held little hope , most cave rescues fail , so lets leave the boys, they've all come home and let them continue with their life. 

I'm happy they are all safe and well but can't help thinking that if I had been one of them as a kid when out my mum would have hugged me and my dad would have said good you're ok then slapped me on the ear and said do you have any idea how daft you've been and the trouble you've caused, learn your lesson from it.

Then again in today's world he would probably be accused of assaulting me etc etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

I think in this instant they are the main cast in this world-wide cause celebre so of course they became celebrities whether they want fame or not. What irks me is when "victim" quickly morphs to "hero": Something happened to you, didn't kill you, you came out of the incident with life and limbs intact while "playing" a totally passive part in the whole saga and and boom, you're now a hero.

Anyway, I wish them a rosy future, and just like others have done, with a wink and a pat on their back, saying "don't do anything stupid!" Anyway, here's them looking all rosy-cheeked on their hospital bed saying thank you (and their favorite food) to all. My favorite is no10, one of the younger one I think, in the green hospital gown. I also paid particular attention to the coach, he sounds indeed like a teenager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5A0WanH8c

5 hours ago, catman20 said:

for being so stupid ? to go into that cave in the wet season 

We all have done stupid things. We all will do stupid things in the future too.

These boys are aged some 11 - 25, just inexperienced children.

Shall we STOP rubbing it in any more?

Actually, that high lights OUR stupidity - just harping on it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, catman20 said:

for being so stupid ? to go into that cave in the wet season 

Just have a look at this ordeal>>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/srilanka/11427725/Dutch-honeymooner-rescued-from-Worlds-End-cliff-fall.html

Edited by ravip

4 hours ago, ravip said:

In whatever terms you call it, whether you like it or not, whether it is right or wrong - they are world famous right now.

Human species are such.

I think ''world famous'' is a bit grand...try ''captured the hearts of many around the world''..a bit more realistic,its cute because they are young and cute with cute hair,had this been an adult team of bald bowlers..well I think its obvious..any how ''drive it like a rental ,cause you only live once''

Edited by mok199
speliings

5 minutes ago, mok199 said:

I think ''world famous'' is a bit grand...try ''captured the hearts of many around the world''..a bit more realistic

Up to you to choose the words - I am not going to waste time arguing on that type of measly subject!

Each one to their choice!

Edited by ravip
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

Up to you to choose the words - I am not going to waste time arguing on that!

Each one to their choice!

well no..they are 2 different things..its not about words ..also anyone who wants to help some non famous kids,we have many in pattaya needing dental work and books etc etc,they seem to be ''the forgotten''

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mok199 said:

well no..they are 2 different things..its not about words ..also anyone who wants to help some non famous kids,we have many in pattaya needing dental work and books etc etc,they seem to be ''the forgotten''

Yes, absolutely. They are two different things, indeed.  The Pattaya  kids status is different to the 'Wild Boars'.

Pattaya kids status - Not life threatening.

The 'Wild Boars' status - Was life threatening and a race against time and other natural obstacles - almost a mission impossible.

This world is pathetic. While a few spends Billions of $'s on pleasure, there are Billions suffering without the basics in life. Really, if we think about this seriously and we have the capacity to comprehend the 'big picture', many of us will STOP whining, like felines in heat, and appreciate their blessings, if not sharing.

Today, we argue here about a full stop or a comma, while some are hearing the screams of their children in hunger or pain.

Yes, this world is in a pathetic situation, with a lot of proud and important people...

Edit

The divers and others who came to rescue the children are not heroes, but divine entities.

Edited by ravip
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ravip said:

The Bart Simpson style 1000 'I will not go into cave in rainy season' on the blackboard would be fitting. Televise that as warning to others.

7 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I'm afraid this is how things are now days as the world runs out of talent and the likes of tv and films scrape the barrel.

And the they get to be US prez. 

The phenomenal movie Idiocracy is quickly becoming reality thanks to the millenial instagram generation.

4 hours ago, ravip said:

Indeed, we've all been stupid from time to time, so that's alright then. All's forgiven.  Bad form to even mention it really...

That was easy...