Very disappointing visit to Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

I think it is better then ever.
Playing golf.
Meeting girls.
Eating good meals.
Hitting the gym.
Taking occasional day trips on my motorbike.
Being in Central I can walk any place. Movies, shopping, markets, restaurants, massage.
A great life.

I love Pattaya having a great time in paradise everyday would not want to be any place else....

You “forgot” to mention the rat infested beach and the EXTREMELY unsafe bacterial level of the sea water.
And you would “not want to live any place else ... “

AMAZING.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the food has gotten expensive, 70 baht for khao ka moo, 70 for larb gai. Have you gone to the barbers south of Pattaya Tai?  Still there. Don't know what a DDG is but the ladyboys have been removed from Beach Road. Do you miss them? In the past I was accosted (they tried to pickpocket me) by LBs on Second. Haven't seen any there. A negative for you?

If you go into an AGoGo there are few Chinese. Same with barbeers. Yes, too many Chinese tours and too arrogant an attitude. 

You apparently have a very limited budget. Things probably have gotten a bit pricey for you. I noticed you didn't mention bar fines.

The pedestrian crossings have been disabled by Thais who don't want to be inconvenienced. 

2 hours ago, Gregster said:

You “forgot” to mention the rat infested beach and the EXTREMELY unsafe bacterial level of the sea water.
And you would “not want to live any place else ... “

AMAZING.

Where did he suggest that he likes lounging on the beach or swimming in the sea?

Was there last year.The Indians seem to be taking over now - There used to be several interesting gogos half way down WS ,now a huge Indian nightclub has displaced them.Once upon a time you could actually talk to the girls/staff in the gogos now they ignore you unless you buy a LD for 160 bt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Where did he suggest that he likes lounging on the beach or swimming in the sea?

I've never ever swum in Pattaya Bay. It was well known to be toxic in the 90s.

I gave up "lounging" on Pattaya beach about 20 years ago. I prefer real beaches like on Koh Phangan.

I used to go to Pattaya for fun, not the beach, though I enjoyed an afternoon stroll in the shade of the trees along the walkway, before they cut them all down. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, banglay said:

I think if you had to eat Kobi beef every day eventually you would get tired of the taste and crave a burger & fries.....The same goes for Pattaya ...variety is the spice of life ...and Pattaya still has the spice ..So just get off the revered bar stool and wonder further afield  you might just find another bar stool to your liking too reminisce the "good auld days"

If you  have a "Living in the past attitude too life you will never truly be happy with what the future has to offer you".

I'm serious when I say Pattaya just doesn't have the "zing" anymore.

I must have been in every barbeer from W S to Naklua at some time in all my years visiting Pattaya, and there was always some place that I thought worth spending time in, but between W S and Central Rd there just wasn't anything that took my fancy this time. Doesn't help that so many bars have been closed.

I never made it past Central Rd this time, because I was depressed after seeing soi 7 and 8, and sort of lost enthusiasm. If I'd had more time, perhaps.

That's not to say that if I'd never been before, I wouldn't like it. Obviously a lot of people do still love it, just not me, at the moment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Maybe you are no longer hansum?

Just kidding beachy. Good post.

LOL, I haven't elicited a "hansum" in years, now that I've graduated to "papa". I just didn't hear anyone else getting a "hansum man" either. Mind you that might be because there were hardly any customers on 7 and 8 at 11pm, which is when it used to be hopping.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It appears that Bangkok and Hua Hin are sort of holding their own.

Don't know about Hua Hin, but it was never really a party town whenever I visited.

Nana was doing really well last night, but that could have been the world cup. I'll be back in Bkk in a week or so, and I'll venture down to Cowboy, but the last time I went there it was really buzzing. I don't go to Patpong anymore- too many gogos turned into bag shops.

Certainly more than enough DDG gurls in the Nana gogos to keep anyone happy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, manhood said:

Dear Mr Sunbeachlover: sure things change here and faster than you can imagine , either the tourists change and the hotels and and and....

You expect all will be perfect for you, but all must be CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!

I think still Pattaya is much cheaper compare to Pukhet! And for farangs living here you can get and buy everything you need as a farang who not want to stick with rice and some curry food!

The good old days are gone, sure, but sure not gone within one year!

The world is changing and Pattaya as well: good or not is everybodies different perspective!

Actually, money wasn't a problem this time, so it wasn't expense that saw me go to bed alone.

Apex is currently offering rooms at 650 a night, so accommodation is still reasonable.

What has gone up, a LOT, is food. I didn't see any meals for 50 baht, but Kiss is still reasonable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soistalker said:

Do you give them a shout first to clear the way?

in the nfl, it is called "breaking the wedge," meaning you go right for the lead man in the center of the group.  You really can't give warning, as you are flexing every muscle to make the hit, but they should really see you, unless. ....after I knocked an Indian guy 10 feet, and didn't break stride, I did look down at his limp body and said:  "WELCOME TO THE NFL!"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A mate of mine, one of the "legends in our own lunchtime" brigade back in the 1980's is a creature of habit. When he comes back for his annual revisit, it's like he's caught in a time warp and he still stays at the Mike Hotel near the traffic lights at Tai & 2nd. Back in the 80's, this place was one of the newer, modern 3-4 star places that had nice carpets, marble floored lobby, quiet rooms, hot and cold water and a decent kitchen with the added bonus of being a quick walk from WS when escaping with the night's bedwarmer. When I dropped him off after an airport pickup and went up to the lobby to collect the cheese and stuff he brought over for me, I swear it was the same carpet.

Pass on the 'grand old' Pattaya hotels like the Lek. Even the Dynasty which was another home from home in the 90's has the same look and smell, plastic covered sofa's, redolent of nicotine-stained airconditioners and plumbing without traps.

Some of the boutique hotels from Soi 11 south are really very good and there's at least 4 on Soi 10 alone that get my regular business as they are (for now) mostly Chinese-free, the Soi is wide and most have excellent covered parking. The older ones are as you say, either running on empty or have handed themselves over to the low-budget Chinese tour set. Anyway, since when has any Thai hotel been a 'cultural oasis'? Maybe the old Peninsula down by the Chao Phraya in Bangkok? The old Royal Cliff was the best that Pattaya had for years but never, ever had the same cache. It is Pattaya after all.

If all my Pattaya mates simultaneously departed, I seriously doubt I would bother visiting as much. Maybe a one day shopping trip every 6 months but more likely I would either try harder to find what I need locally or elsewhere... or just change my needs. Going to Pattaya on your own with ones' head jammed full of reminiscences is on a hiding for nothing IMHO.

I always stayed at the Mike Hotel when I first started visiting Pattaya. I was going to the last time, just for old times sake, but the lift to ground level didn't work, and the hotel guys beside it were rather rude, so I gave it a miss.

The Dynasty in Bkk has been boutiquified, and costs 3 times the place I'm in in Chiang Mai. Used to be full of regulars back in the last century, but they have all moved on now.

My comment about the sois being cultural deserts is because the hotels have replaced all the interesting businesses. I wasn't talking about the hotels themselves.

Never mind reminiscences; I'd have been happy with an attractive friendly lady to spend some time with. Sadly, I saw none that were interesting to me this time ( or the last, for that matter. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So in short, you can't afford Pattaya anymore.

If that is aimed at me, 100% wrong. I had over 30,000 baht cash for 3 days, and prepared to spend it all, but I left with about 25,000, so only paid for hotel and food.

You really shouldn't let your personal opinion of me make you post silly things like that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Considering the german FKK price is €50 for a day ticket with pool, rest area,  open bar, Group action kino area, sport or xxx on the tvs great fresh buffet, and BBQ in summer, plus global talent (the Kenyans at Babylon are stunning and fluent in English) and €50 to go up stairs with no tricks, and extras on request. Why would any body bother with LOS Now?  The prices are the same,  or worse,  and it's still all illegal, second rate service at 1st world prices,  decidedly less healthy, and well dodgy.  

I bet you can't take one of those German ladies off to the beach for a month, like I can in LOS. I have never had much interest in ST. Here, I can even have the same lady accompany me for years on holidays, and I don't have to write to her, send her money, or pretend to want to marry her. Some do, but that's their problem.

BTW, it certainly didn't cost 50 Euros a day either.

9 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

The first sentence is a giveaway... watching the purse strings. That makes for anxiety at every turn. no one who seriously needs wifi in LOS  comes u prepared either with a second device and a thai data sim, or a booster , and if you are living here  you would be even more prepared . Every criticism in this piece is forgetting the basics. Thailand is full of holes ! 

That was just an example of why I was unhappy at the hotel. I was actually able to do other things than post on TVF for 3 days. I don't even need to carry a phone on me when I go out either.

It's just that if an hotel advertises they have wifi, and it doesn't work, I expect more concern about it than a shoulder shrug, because they just didn't care.

Had the wifi been superb and there been no hot water, I'd have written the same sort of post referencing hot water.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cat handler said:

I think the “got charged 50 Baht instead of 20” says it all. Just wow.

It's not the amount, it's getting ripped off and not being able to do anything about it that irks.

Apparently some on here are perfectly happy to be extorted- I'm not.

Up in Chiang Mai, 50 baht would be a minimum for that distance, but that's normal up here.

6 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

the 50bht is standard they see you with bags in hand and know they got u by the goolies.

Im more interested in hearing which grand hotel OP stayed in....was it Sandy Spring by any chance?

No, and I'm not saying for the obvious reason, if one knows what is going on in LOS at the moment.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:35 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Forgot to mention that Mike shopping mall is finally getting cladding over the Second Rd end. It's only taken 30 years or so. 

I agree that's a positive improvement.

To edit:    but you managed to give it a negative spin

I honestly wonder why you go to Pattaya in the first place.

You only post shit about it.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Meanwhile, in Loei...

... It's so peaceful you can hear the fruit ripen.  Unless the roosters are crowing or the next door Wat has an all-night party.

Our house is right next to Banana Beach. 

Loei Lum Yai July_2018.JPG

Ngok rambutan our house.JPG

pond.jpg

I like the area Soi Post Office / Soi Yamato because of its concentration of many Guest Houses and cozy little Bars. As OP mentions, they are fast being replaced by "Boutique-Hotels". (Not my thing).

May well be, that I will have to look for another favourite corner in Pattaya.

Trying to think of any other areas, that (still) predominantly feature friendly Guest Houses and cozy little Bars, centrally located. In my book, alternatives to Soi Post Office / Soi Yamato concerning the above won't be easy to find.
Any ideas?
Cheers.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always stayed at the Mike Hotel when I first started visiting Pattaya. I was going to the last time, just for old times sake, but the lift to ground level didn't work, and the hotel guys beside it were rather rude, so I gave it a miss.

The Dynasty in Bkk has been boutiquified, and costs 3 times the place I'm in in Chiang Mai. Used to be full of regulars back in the last century, but they have all moved on now.

My comment about the sois being cultural deserts is because the hotels have replaced all the interesting businesses. I wasn't talking about the hotels themselves.

Never mind reminiscences; I'd have been happy with an attractive friendly lady to spend some time with. Sadly, I saw none that were interesting to me this time ( or the last, for that matter. 

"Sadly, I saw none that were interesting to me this time ( or the last, for that matter"

In case that refers to the fact that it is rather hard to find "slim & trim" Thai Ladies nowadays, (.....ahhhhh, the good old days), then I know what you mean.
There is a reason I re-named 2nd Road on my last stay: "Porkers Avenue". Beach Road is "Chubby-Strip".

By looking at female artists, performing their art in "non walking street" GoGo's, I must conclude that no Diet works for any Thai-Lady once a certain Ronald McDonald has entered their life.
Never met this Ronald McDonald dude personally, but he must be "very sexy man", spoiling it for the rest of us.
Cheers.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, swissie said:

"Sadly, I saw none that were interesting to me this time ( or the last, for that matter"

In case that refers to the fact that it is rather hard to find "slim & trim" Thai Ladies nowadays, (.....ahhhhh, the good old days), then I know what you mean.
There is a reason I re-named 2nd Road on my last stay: "Porkers Avenue". Beach Road is "Chubby-Strip".

By looking at female artists, performing their art in "non walking street" GoGo's, I must conclude that no Diet works for any Thai-Lady once a certain Ronald McDonald has entered their life.
Never met this Ronald McDonald dude personally, but he must be "very sexy man", spoiling it for the rest of us.
Cheers.

Indeed, I do refer to the increasing waist line of the young ladies that attempt to make a living by their physical attributes. While I am hardly the Adonis of my youth, I'm not attempting to get women to part with substantial amounts of lucre to get sweaty with me, and if I was, I'd be making sure that I was what makes them trembly at the knees.

Either men these days are so desperate for a spot of horizontal folk dancing that they ignore the chubbiness, or they are into "plus size" women. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that is aimed at me, 100% wrong. I had over 30,000 baht cash for 3 days, and prepared to spend it all, but I left with about 25,000, so only paid for hotel and food.

You really shouldn't let your personal opinion of me make you post silly things like that.

you mentioned expensive loads of times, complained about a 50THB ride, so not silly at all.