Android boxes now illegal in Thailand

superal

3 hours ago, ICECOOL said:

Thai post are useless

Indeed. I have received one bill total in eight months for my True and CAT services. We've now arranged to pay automatically by direct debit, but even that is taking weeks to arrange as the systems here seem so antiquated. What mail I do get is bundled up and received about one a month or so.

We asked about it at the local PO and they said they would look into the non-receipt of bills, and my wife was afraid to ask about the monthly deliveries as the postman lives opposite and she is afraid of reprisals if she complains. I'm afraid of not receiving the occasional letter from my pension providers checking that I'm not dead yet and asking me to provide proof that I'm not, but even that doesn't spur my wife into action. Just says there's nothing she/the PO can do if mail goes missing.

1 hour ago, Headgame said:

There are no charges to use these applications but

Are you referring to the Smart IPTV app that is also on Samsung hub? We have a Samsung and the web site says LG and Samsung apps are not free, 5.49EU per TV.

https://siptv.app/activation/ and for Samsung the interface for Smart IPTV is very clunky, EPG poor and no catch up option either.

Been there done that and not going there again myself - but each to their own.  Personally I'd much rather have an Android box can plug in any TV that is cheap and a lot cheaper to replace when the o/s and apps become obsolete as has happened on one of our Samsung Smart TVs. Current Android boxes come with a remote that covers the TV as well, so just one remote. The paid IPTV services can then be played on Perfect Player (my preferred choice), Kodi etc which are free, have good EPG, catch up interfaces and smart phone remote apps to work with also.

15 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

yes your right it is down to what the person wants. I have a ps4 also and i know that offers options for streaming australian tv via its own apps. I am not able to get these though as I have the thai store. I could if i really wanted but not worth it now as i have it all already.

ps4 also acts as a media server and i can cast movies and stuff to the tv through the ps4 but for some reason not from my aussie tv apps.

I'm not familiar with the PS4, but understand it does a good job streaming.

My Nvidia Shield is like a mini PS4. It came with a controller so the kids can play games. It even has Chromecast built in. I can cast from just about any device to the Shield. It comes in handy when my wife wants to show me something on her phone. I just tell her to put it up on the big screen...

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

I was thinking of ways to watch aussie tv in thailand and had seen these android tv boxes for sale on facebook.

I use the example of australia but the same probably applies to usa or other countries.

I found out android tv is just the android operating system to operate these boxes and it can (apparently) be installed on a laptop.

Then I looked into it and realised all the apps I need to watch aussie tv (7plus, 9now, tenplay etc) on an android box are all in the play store and downloadable to phone without android tv software or the box itself.

The next issue is that these apps require you to be using the australian version of google play store to even be downloadable. You can change your play store region only once per year. So you can't just switch as you please unfortunately. The way around this is to download the apps .apk file from a website. I used apkpure with no issues.

Second issue is that once you have the apps they don't work unless you are in Australia. Using a VPN that shows you as being in australia is the obvious soultion for that. Most free vpn keep australia as part of there premium paid service (usually 150-250b a month) or have a 1 or 2gb limit before you need to do something. Theres a lot of options for this depending on what you want. Some are free.

Anyway now I can watch aussie tv live or catch up tv with no issue and if I had a smart tv could probably cast it to the tv.

So I don't really see the point of these boxes as you can do the same things without the box.

If you want movies or other series then popcorn time is free and has most things which makes netflix and similar services redundant.

You can watch most oz channels with redboxtv apk. Livetv.sx.apk and swift streamz apk. No need for VPN. But not every channel and you may miss your states version

Screenshot_2018-07-20-16-03-00.png

Edited by stud858
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 8:07 AM, vogie said:

If you bought an android off Lazada, I don't believe they come with Kodi preinstalled

I can only presume it is the same as most countries now. Kodi itself, is not illegal you can sell a box with Kodi installed. However, it is the apps that are illegal and boxes with the words fully loaded etc (boxes that have all the apps already installed are illegal). Therefore with Kodi already installed you just have to install the various apps yourself which is not hard and very simplistic for the majority of people.

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

yes your right it is down to what the person wants. I have a ps4 also and i know that offers options for streaming australian tv via its own apps. I am not able to get these though as I have the thai store. I could if i really wanted but not worth it now as i have it all already.

ps4 also acts as a media server and i can cast movies and stuff to the tv through the ps4 but for some reason not from my aussie tv apps.

My PS4 connects to the US store and I can make purchases and add funds to my wallet. You can set yours up for AUS, but even if you could download the AUS apps you would still not be allowed access without shielding your actual location. 

3 hours ago, Headgame said:

Not sure what is wrong with what I stated. There are many IPTV providers and you're right many do offer free trials. The monthly fess vary widely and I was just giving the averages - $27.99 would be at the highest end of the pricing offered for IPTV services. There are dozens of providers who deliver IPTV services in the range I mentioned.

Smart STB is not an IPTV provider, it is the app for LG and Samsung tv's, needed to connect to a IPTV provider.

The 27.,99$ is for the Smart STB app registration.

I suggest you read up a bit on below link, then you know next time what you're talking about.

https://liux.tv/faq/smart-stb/

Edited by tomas557

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Are you referring to the Smart IPTV app that is also on Samsung hub? We have a Samsung and the web site says LG and Samsung apps are not free, 5.49EU per TV.

https://siptv.app/activation/ and for Samsung the interface for Smart IPTV is very clunky, EPG poor and no catch up option either.

Siptv is a different app, and you're correct it's very clunky.

Smart STB is STBemu for Samsung and LG tv's, and has the same layout as a MAG device.

It works a charm and has catchup if your IPTV provider offers catchup, but it cost 27.99$ for registration.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, superal said:

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops  for the last month or so. Now we all know that " Advice " is a large retailer of IT etc so I have to believe them  ( not too concerned if the enforcer is NBTC or not ) .

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban .  Sorry , I am applying western logic again .

So much TV Boxes on Lazada resourced from Thailand. You must only choose the right box on the left side on the Lazada website!!! ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=android tv box&location=local

Edited by snowgard

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

My PS4 connects to the US store and I can make purchases and add funds to my wallet. You can set yours up for AUS, but even if you could download the AUS apps you would still not be allowed access without shielding your actual location. 

I could set it up but can't be bothered really. I have 2 PS accounts already so would need to set up a new email as well as you need to use a fresh email each time. I was going to do it just so I could play fortnite which has been out for months in the US but it literally came out in the Thai store the day after I tried to open new account. Fantastic timing. Your right though I can't think of any VPN services that could be used in a playstation OS. There is probably a way but I can't think of it.

4 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I can only presume it is the same as most countries now. Kodi itself, is not illegal you can sell a box with Kodi installed. However, it is the apps that are illegal and boxes with the words fully loaded etc (boxes that have all the apps already installed are illegal). Therefore with Kodi already installed you just have to install the various apps yourself which is not hard and very simplistic for the majority of people.

The Thai customs import licensing requirement is NOT based on whether an imported device is coming with or without Kodi. The import licensing requirement makes no mention of Kodi in terms of determining what devices are impacted by the requirement.

Instead, the import licensing requirement simply ticks off a series of device types and product names that are covered by the import licensing requirement. One of the devices on the list, Google Chromecast, certainly can NOT have Kodi installed on it, or any other software for that matter. So that should sort of clarify the point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomas557 said:

Siptv is a different app, and you're correct it's very clunky. 

Smart STB is STBemu for Samsung and LG tv's, and has the same layout as a MAG device.

It works a charm and has catchup if your IPTV provider offers catchup, but it cost 27.99$ for registration.

Yes I agree, I think the earlier posts by headgame were mixing the names Smart IPTV for Smart STB. I have seen the Smart STB app on Samsung Smart Tvs also but find the price per TV rather off-putting. (Already been stung with Samsung not updating their o/s to run latest apps and another Tv simply failing to turn on again so will always go for an external box myself and run the free apps with a paid IPTV provider).

On 7/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, superal said:

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops  for the last month or so. Now we all know that " Advice " is a large retailer of IT etc so I have to believe them  ( not too concerned if the enforcer is NBTC or not ) .

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban .  Sorry , I am applying western logic again .

Don't understand.. ??    If you look at  https://www.lazada.co.th/android-tv-box/?location=local   = LOCAL = Thailand only = 7 pages of them.............

Just 1 of many that state Kodi Media  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/t95z-plus-android-71-4k-ram-2gb-rom-16gb-octa-core-8-64bit-wifi-24g5gbluetooth-amlogic-s912-i111796230-s114339662.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.1.336d7233OKNTDM&search=1

Also other Thai retails sites selling them + with Kodi installed.........  so maybe was just the shop/retailer the OP went to ?

7 hours ago, ignis said:

Don't understand.. ??    If you look at  https://www.lazada.co.th/android-tv-box/?location=local   = LOCAL = Thailand only = 7 pages of them.............

Just 1 of many that state Kodi Media  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/t95z-plus-android-71-4k-ram-2gb-rom-16gb-octa-core-8-64bit-wifi-24g5gbluetooth-amlogic-s912-i111796230-s114339662.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.1.336d7233OKNTDM&search=1

Also other Thai retails sites selling them + with Kodi installed.........  so maybe was just the shop/retailer the OP went to ?

And not Lazada sell them. A lot of shops sell them on the Lazada website. Lazada is just a market like Amazon or Ebay.

2 minutes ago, snowgard said:

And not Lazada sell them. A lot of shops sell them on the Lazada website. Lazada is just a market like Amazon or Ebay.

Quite correct, but goods bought from Lazada will not get intercepted at customs like they might from Ebay or Amazon. 

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

Quite correct, but goods bought from Lazada will not get intercepted at customs like they might from Ebay or Amazon. 

Because Lazada (Owner Alibaba) has a Tax Agreement Deal with Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, stud858 said:

You can watch most oz channels with redboxtv apk. Livetv.sx.apk and swift streamz apk. No need for VPN. But not every channel and you may miss your states version

Screenshot_2018-07-20-16-03-00.png

Just for info..

Try using Hola free VPN.

I have it on the phone and tablet and it can replicate you being in a multitude of countries. 

And thus allow access to that country's sites.

Works great for me. 

If I need to run an Australian site or UK site I just invoke Hola.

Can also generate a fake location ip address. 

Screenshot_20180724-052353_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Just for info..

Try using Hola free VPN.

I have it on the phone and tablet and it can replicate you being in a multitude of countries. 

Works great for me. 

If I need to run an Australian site or UK site I just invoke Hola.

Can also generate a fake location ip address. 

Screenshot_20180724-052353_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

I tried 10play oz tv but website still sees me outside of Australia even though I set vpn country to Oz.

I had my location services off.

32 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Just for info..

Try using Hola free VPN.

Before anyone starts using Hola as their primary VPN, you ought to read the following article carefully:

https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/hola-vpn/

Read past the few positives mentioned first, quick install and decent speeds, and then on to the raft of negative and potentially dangerous things about using Hola.

They log everything you do, they cooperate with surveillance alliances, there’s no encryption. This is the least secure VPN I’ve ever seen.

To top it all off, it opens you up to new threats. I know the company line is that leeching off your buddy Nate from London’s bandwidth is somehow safer and more secure than utilizing the same encryption software as the NSA, but I’m not going to believe that for a second.

You can’t watch Netflix, you can’t torrent, what purpose does this serve other than to make you an unknowing cog in a botnet that their Luminati users can exploit?

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Before anyone starts using Hola as their primary VPN, you ought to read the following article carefully:

https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/hola-vpn/

Read past the few positives mentioned first, quick install and decent speeds, and then on to the raft of negative and potentially dangerous things about using Hola.

Strange, I've never had any issues.

Hola is a freebie for android users. 

Obviously other vpns around that are reasonable prices. 

Someone always has an axe to grind somewhere on here, so it's a personal choice I suppose. 

If, its doing anything,  its probably no worse than cookies do now.

Google is no saint.

But as far as accessing out of county sites, its serves me ok.

Accessibility to Netflix and streaming services is not that simple anymore. 

Many ISPs build blocks into their services to limit bandwidth consumption. 

A totally different issue from poor vpns. 

On 7/25/2018 at 10:05 AM, dallen52 said:

Strange, I've never had any issues.

Hola is a freebie for android users. 

Obviously other vpns around that are reasonable prices. 

Someone always has an axe to grind somewhere on here, so it's a personal choice I suppose. 

If, its doing anything,  its probably no worse than cookies do now.

Google is no saint.

But as far as accessing out of county sites, its serves me ok.

Accessibility to Netflix and streaming services is not that simple anymore. 

Many ISPs build blocks into their services to limit bandwidth consumption. 

A totally different issue from poor vpns. 

Seems to be many well informed tech guys on this post and many beyond my level of know how . My question, is there a simple answer to avoid the throttling when connecting to Europe / UK using an android box ?  I have TOT  & 100/ 25 Mbps and 12 ping ,     ( just uprated ) and yet testmy.net speed test shows poor performance outside of Thailand resulting in buffering / freezing and loss of programme and coincidentally always at an important stage , e.g. the last furlong of a horse race or just be fore a goal is scored in footy . Is a VPN an answer to overcome this or  use    IPTV  and ditch the android box ? 

I have been advised my another guro on here that I should change my ISP to maybe CAT / True or AIS as they are not so restrictive . Any help would be appreciated .

3 hours ago, stud858 said:

Yes cycle through the ISPs. See which one is the least worst. Time of day matters.  could be a background app clogging up things.  Worthwhile doing a factory reset and install minimal apps to see if that speeds things up.  Try different hardware at the same Site to see if that helps. 

Agree.

True is good for me.

100 speed is constant. 

If you get a bad day they compensate well.

Background clutter does impact. 

Look how many devices are connected to the internet. 

Phones, etc. Neighbors. 

Think of it like a garden hose pipe. 

The more taps turned on the less pressure it has. 

This is the latency of the service. 

Look at the dual band routers.

True is one of these. 

I keep on 5ghz.

And others have 2.4ghz.

That way I get the higher quality and power output to my box.

And phone.

• Like 1

I'm on the lookout for an android box that has dvbt2 tuner for Thailand that records the tv too.aliexpress hads dvbt2 but I'm not sure they have easy tv record function.  anybody got one that records tv? 

11 hours ago, superal said:

I have TOT  & 100/ 25 Mbps and 12 ping ,     ( just uprated ) and yet testmy.net speed test shows poor performance outside of Thailand resulting in buffering / freezing and loss of programme and coincidentally always at an important stage , e.g. the last furlong of a horse race or just be fore a goal is scored in footy .

TOT is the worst ISP in Thailand, maybe even in South east Asia lol.

Your 100 Mbps on a TOT speedtest means nothing because it is within Thailand, and everything worthwhile comes from outside Thailand, plus they use multithread and are flash based so your result is fictional.

That it always buffers right before a goal is only in your imagination, because no isp has any influence on that.

A video stream buffers either because there are issues on your side, or the servers are overloaded, but when a goal happens there are not more users than 5 minutes earlier.

Is a VPN an answer to overcome this or  use    IPTV  and ditch the android box ? 

A VPN can be a solution to get a better speed to Europe, forget about the free ones for that, if you have a good connection to Singapore, but I think TOT fails even at that most of the times.

If you have an Android box make sure that you have a recent spec one, and for IPTV it will work better than a smart TV or a PC, because the Android IPTV apps perform better than the Windows apps.

Most IPTV's don't allow the use of VPN.

My question, is there a simple answer to avoid the throttling when connecting to Europe / UK using an android box ?  I have TOT  & 100/ 25 Mbps and 12 ping ,     ( just uprated ) and yet testmy.net speed test shows poor performance outside of Thailand

Does testmy.net gives you better test results on your PC or tablet? If so it's time to upgrade the Android box.

Edited by tomas557
  • Thanks 1

Tomas557...  Please what is a good Android box ? I have the MXQ CLK, it is confusing as many of the NEW 2018 boxes are not the best spec.... [was looking at 3GB and 64bit as better?]  my PC is far far better for IPTV, I just put it down to a good Graphics card  R9 with 4GB, my PC has 16GB..... but not at all sure..?

Also no idea, just downloaded 'Puffin Browser' so say very fast for IPTV........... tried it. noticed was showing I was in the USA, my second try showed I was in Singapore.. both times No buffeting but this was on my PC