Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

1 hour ago, ChidlomDweller said:

The way some of the posters here describe their own countries, they make them sound like real hellholes.  To each their own, but the extremely scathing reviews and cherry-picked astronomical price levels make me wonder, like spending 220 dollars a week just to get to work, or minimum 600 Euros on health insurance and still 6 months to see a doctor.  Well, whatever, but some cherry-picked figures don't convince me.  There's also the little thing about salary differentials.  For many jobs, you make 5 times the salary in farangland as you would here, so all in all you're still much much much better of.  

I worked on Wharf Street in Brisbane each day. I lived on the other end of the Gold Coast. If today, I had to catch a train, it is not cheap. Not cherry picked but real life. I use to spend $16 a day for parking alone a long time back on Early Bird Parking. I hate to think how much I would spend now. Yes, I could get it a little cheaper to drive the 110 or so kilometers each way a day if I drove a small car but when you are driving constantly every day, six days a week and spend a large part of your life driving, a small Yaris is not going to cut it. My brother-in-law works now as a Lawyer in the same building I use to (he is now working for my old Company) and he lives with my sister near our home in the Coast, and he tells me transport is not cheap anymore. Below are one-way prices to Town for us via Train. I am in Zone 7

Adult

Zones travelled go card go card off-peak Single paper ticket
1 $3.25 $2.60 $4.70
2 $3.96 $3.17 $5.70
3 $6.05 $4.84 $8.80
4 $7.97 $6.38 $11.60
5 $10.47 $8.38 $15.20
6 $13.29 $10.63 $19.30
7 $16.52 $13.22 $24.00
8 $19.61 $15.69 $28.40

21 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I worked on Wharf Street in Brisbane each day. I lived on the other end of the Gold Coast. If today, I had to catch a train, it is not cheap. Not cherry picked but real life. I use to spend $16 a day for parking alone a long time back on Early Bird Parking. I hate to think how much I would spend now. Yes, I could get it a little cheaper to drive the 110 or so kilometers each way a day if I drove a small car but when you are driving constantly every day, six days a week and spend a large part of your life driving, a small Yaris is not going to cut it. My brother-in-law works now as a Lawyer in the same building I use to (he is now working for my old Company) and he lives with my sister near our home in the Coast, and he tells me transport is not cheap anymore. Below are one-way prices to Town for us via Train. I am in Zone 7

Adult

1 $3.25 $2.60 $4.70
2 $3.96 $3.17 $5.70
3 $6.05 $4.84 $8.80
4 $7.97 $6.38 $11.60
5 $10.47 $8.38 $15.20
6 $13.29 $10.63 $19.30
7 $16.52 $13.22 $24.00
8 $19.61 $15.69 $28.40

Yep, that's very expensive, not disputing that, but how much is your BIL making, and how much would he make in Thailand?  You've got to pick and choose a bit where to live, although I admit I'm not an expert on Australia.

To give you two other real-life examples I encountered very recently:  One of my college friends (middle-ranking finance manager at an MNC in Brussels) told me he can choose a company car for 750 euros a month from his employer.  Free parking at the office in the center of Brussels, plus more petrol money than he needs for the commute.  Also 40 holidays a year plus public holidays.  Will probably retire with 2000-2500 euro pension from the government with nearly free, world-class healthcare, a supplementary pension equal to the same amount from his company, and lots of investments (with which he's been smart and/or lucky).  This is a working class guy (father teacher, mother cleaning lady) who is now 52, has 2 paid-down properties and a third being paid by a tenant.  The equivalent Thai, if he made it to university at all and that kind of finance management position, would be very lucky to pull in 100,000 Baht a month.

Another friend I visited recently (we went through the PhD program together) lives in White Plains, NY.  Also 52, 2 paid-down properties, and well over a million dollars in stocks.  He told me he rakes in over 300,000 dollars a year, although his base is more like 200,000 and the rest is from overload teaching.  He's a business professor and would be very lucky to make 200,000 Baht a month here (possible, but very few make that much -- I know because I'm in the industry).  

I find for many things Thailand is far from cheap anymore if you have Western tastes.  In fact, I get reverse sticker shock every time I go shop at Aldi or Lidl, or anywhere in the US nowadays.  

Edited by ChidlomDweller
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Adult

1 $3.25 $2.60 $4.70
2 $3.96 $3.17 $5.70
3 $6.05 $4.84 $8.80
4 $7.97 $6.38 $11.60
5 $10.47 $8.38 $15.20
6 $13.29 $10.63 $19.30
7 $16.52 $13.22 $24.00
8 $19.61 $15.69 $28.40

Gold coast to Airport return . Puts the Bangkok to suvarnabumi train at around 150 baht return into perspective

bris.JPG

8 minutes ago, jimn said:

What has the price of train travel in Aus got to do with leaving Thailand. Come on guys restrict that to PM its boring.

On the contrary. The big jump in the cost of living needs to be researched when making a comparison and its adds up pretty quickly! Most will say she will be right mate it will all work out and then there is the shock when reality hits

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

The way some of the posters here describe their own countries, they make them sound like real hellholes.  To each their own, but the extremely scathing reviews and cherry-picked astronomical price levels make me wonder, like spending 220 dollars a week just to get to work, or minimum 600 Euros on health insurance and still 6 months to see a doctor.  Well, whatever, but some cherry-picked figures don't convince me.  There's also the little thing about salary differentials.  For many jobs, you make 5 times the salary in farangland as you would here, so all in all you're still much much much better of.  

I grew up in Belgium, and lived and worked in Helsinki, New York, Boston, London, Washington DC, Singapore and Bangkok so I've seen enough of the world.  Also stayed friends with many friends who have moved on to other places.  Other than some cherry-picked places to avoid, there are so many lovely alternatives to Thailand.  Why make it a choice between Australia and Thailand only?  There's a whole wide world out there.  Moving to Japan next in September, and really looking forward to it, although I'll miss the Thai food.   What I won't miss is the awful, heat 10-11 months a year, perma-noise, 24/7 traffic jams and stinking air, and I could go on.  I had a good time here (almost 5 years), but now I'm at a point where I'm fed up with many things and want to live in a place again with more temperate climate and where everything just works.

Maybe you will love japan radioactivity...

Even for $10000/month I would never move there !

2 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

True, but the OP is still relatively young.  For an Aussie, a couple of years in Europe could be fun.  It's all so dependent on the person though.  

For the American who was here in the early 70s and looking to move to Chiang Mai, I hope you're aware of the choking pollution several months a year.  For me that would be a complete dealbreaker about living there, and I'd rather move to a place like Hua Hin, or even Pattaya or Phuket.  

I also do not understand those people living in Chiangmai that has nothing interesting, except if they mean 100km from CM. But in this situation, no reason to go so far, 100kms from Bangkok is a lot better and easier than 100km $hithole from Chiangmai.

For someone who likes countryside, Kanchanaburi is so much better than CM.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, goegoe said:

I also do not understand those people living in Chiangmai that has nothing interesting, except if they mean 100km from CM. But in this situation, no reason to go so far, 100kms from Bangkok is a lot better and easier than 100km $hithole from Chiangmai.

For someone who likes countryside, Kanchanaburi is so much better than CM.

CM city is truly dreadful. Plenty of nice cities in Issan including Roi et, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen and plenty going on at certain times of the year. I live in Pattaya but travel around the rest of Thailand.

Edited by The manic
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

CM city is truly dreadful. Plenty of nice cities in Issan including Roi et, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen and plenty going on at certain times of the year.

What is so dreadful about CM City? The traffic can be a pain and the smog problem in Feb-April, but what

place is perfect? We lived there 4 years, came back to Tagaytay City, Philippines and now after a year we

miss so many of the good things in CM -- great shopping, great food, great medical care and lots of nice,

friendly people (not all, of course). 

Maybe it has to do with upbringing. I was raised in poverty in the U.S., but now I don't enjoy a low-quality

life. I much prefer a bit of luxury and class. We lived in a nice, brand new luxury 3-BR Condo on the river

in CM for THB21,000/mo. That is hard to beat anywhere in any country.

I know folks who were raised in a low-income environment and now are not very happy in anything else.

I think that kind of person would fit well in Roi-Et or Nong Khai. Nong Khai is one of the most boing

places I've ever been. Khon Kaen isn't much better.

All depends on what makes you happy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

What is so dreadful about CM City? The traffic can be a pain and the smog problem in Feb-April, but what

place is perfect? We lived there 4 years, came back to Tagaytay City, Philippines and now after a year we

miss so many of the good things in CM -- great shopping, great food, great medical care and lots of nice,

friendly people (not all, of course). 

Maybe it has to do with upbringing. I was raised in poverty in the U.S., but now I don't enjoy a low-quality

life. I much prefer a bit of luxury and class. We lived in a nice, brand new luxury 3-BR Condo on the river

in CM for THB21,000/mo. That is hard to beat anywhere in any country.

I know folks who were raised in a low-income environment and now are not very happy in anything else.

I think that kind of person would fit well in Roi-Et or Nong Khai. Nong Khai is one of the most boing

places I've ever been. Khon Kaen isn't much better.

All depends on what makes you happy.

It closes down by 11pm. And the Army and police are all over the place like an army of  occupation  yet civic festivals are chaotic and badly organised. It was great when it had a night life and less army presence.....A long time ago. Its a gay vegetarian place now and thus smug and hypocritical tourists abound. The market last year had banned all booze even wine vendors. CM sucks and is the epitome of joyless mediocrity inhabited by unhappy sullen Thais who want elected leaders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leaving Thailand.. it can have so many reasons.

the bones are failing is sure one when you have the NHS for free but have to pay a good Hospital in LOS. 

Changes politically and personally (lost friends) is another.

and so 1000's of more that make you stay or go.

The life style is a self created that can bring you down.

anger about changes is also self created as the world lives from changes

BUT the exploding population of the world that makes these changes necessary is not in an individual's hand..

Let me tell how I came here.. 20 years ago I was in South America and the Latinas were for me the most beautiful until I got a massive ashtray into me face for no reason just out of a temper.

Then I had a Job in Asia but Singapore was too expensive, hence over 2 years on Pulau Langlawi I came to Thailand.

I adapted fast to the Thai way and actually was happy I could leave the (self built up) necessary Latin Temper behind me. This is not me. 

After 7 years there was the moment where my own words hit me like a hammer, my golden rule. I actually said it many times but understanding is another thing, just like reading a story or the words of a story:

"it takes 2 days to say I am gone but it takes 7 years to say I am here" 

I found a way to make a living, i found a way to build up more pension than I ever will get in Germany after 30 years of work. And I am myself, that what I want to be, see the changes here and in Europe and understand, I can't stop it but Europe would take me into risk to moan again more and more..

Funny: Here in this thread there are all the minds and personalities together.

Some characters that I would ignore in my favorite Pub but also soft speaking people who just want to speak and comment.. 

But I have no influence on the people who react rude, arrogant or nice, I can only take or ignore..

so also the changes in life, changes the politics bring and changes in the social structure.

They are everywhere on the world.

I plan my live, I plan even my days and beside this there is in LOS no difference. 

Going back home brings you in the same situations, you need to look for friends if your friends leave or die, and you need to ignore some personalities. It doesn't help to complain or beg how to overcome pain and wear and tear of the bones.. The train is gone so use a bus.

My knees are wrecked by climbing wind turbines, I loved the Job to be a ruff boy so I had to swap it for a desk what i never wanted. Not in Thailand not in Germany.

But that is not a reason to leave back to Germany. 

Where Do you want to live, where are you really happy? 

The question is easy without thinking the Consequences like at home people will say:

"he didn't make it, look another looser returns...."

That's easy to reply:  "it was nice and beautiful but somehow I was homesick, I had a good time but the heart was always in my home land"

I feel the opposite. I miss Thailand and feel with all of my heart home.

In April I was at my parents for 3 weeks standby to the next job..

After 2 Weeks I thought why I didn't go home I am lonely here even at the house of my Parents.. 

Last a true joke:

"Oh Lord (Bhudda) let me win in the Lottery" you say it every day,

until a voice from the heavens returns: "go and buy a Ticket you fool and don't bother me anymore" 

(this was no verbal attack against you markusss.. It was a general joke that says so much truth...)

Edited by See Will
  • Like 2

It closes down by 11pm. And the Army and police are all over the place like an army of  occupation  yet civic festivals are chaotic and badly organised. It was great when it had a night life and less army presence.....A long time ago. Its a gay vegetarian place now and thus smug and hypocritical tourists abound. The market last year had banned all booze even wine vendors. CM sucks and is the epitome of joyless mediocrity inhabited by unhappy sullen Thais who want elected leaders.

Mostly correct about closing but it is more like 12AM-1AM definitely not 11PM. 02 JUL friend wanted to watch the BEL-JPN match starting 01:00, fancied a beer. I thought we were shut out.

Well, poked around Chang Moi road a bit. Right away found a place, half-shut in 4K Big Screen no problem for drinks from kickoff to final whistle. Next door was a shut in, still going too

There is always a place to go after hours in CM. Especially if you know Thai people to guide you

Took you 13 years to work out what a shithole it is?

Come to Cambodia. Siem Reap.

Hey, I got to fly in there tomorrow, to do a visa run. The bitter pricks, when they see you flying back out in two hours they get offended and then refuse to let you enter the Kingdom. Just to piss you off and then try throw you in prison.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

Age is everything when considering Thailand but it's often omitted in posts. I've lived here for 13 years also but I came when I was only 23. I visit back home (Colorado USA) every year so I haven't lost all touch, but it's clear now that I'm in my mid 30's I'm cheating myself out of too much by living in Thailand (Chiang Mai in particular). I'm not prepared to move back yet but I'm making moves in that direction and trying to talk myself up because I know it's the right thing to do.

My personal top list of issues and please note these ONLY apply to people my age. If I was 50+ I would have an entirely different perspective.

1) I loved Thailand for its rural side (you couldn't pay me enough to live in BKK) but CM has changed rapidly it's officially now a difficult place to live that stresses me out. Getting from point A to point B is a headache and it makes me want to stay inside. If I stay in Thailand I need to move to Chiang Dao or something but there's a whole other set of problems there....

2) Chiang Mai is now officially polluted year round. If you have a good vantage point from afar look at the city and notice it's permanently covered in smog except for perhaps immediately after a rain. When I'm back home I feel healthier and more energetic, some of that I attribute to the air feeling clean to breath. I worry about my lung health being in CM.

3) Driving with Thai's is beyond frustrating and the worst part of living there. It's an absolute pleasure to drive back home and receive actual respect from people that care enough to not cut you off or run you off the road. I'll never forgive the Thai's for the reckless disrespect they show each other on the roads .

4) It took me years to say this and feel confident but the average Thai (in the north at least) has a similar IQ to janitors or manual labor trades in the US. It's become really alienating. 10 years ago I thought it was quaint to see the villagers go about their humble lives and it was something I loved about Thailand, but flash forward to today and I'm embarrassed for them because I know they can't do any better if they wanted to. I have no confidence they can fix the traffic issue or their government but I'll still hope for the best. Consider what it means so spend the best years of your life with people who don't inspire and motivate you.  

5) Parks and recreation in Thailand are  hugely limited, often overcrowded and usually inferior quality to what we have in the US. It's such a privilege to have clean Rocky Mountain air and miles of open space to get lost in the woods, hike and camp. CM has some awesome cycling but that's not the same and it's getting worse every year (traffic, pollution etc...). That breaks my heart because my best memories of CM were cycling on the open roads. RIP.

6) If you have a dog in Thailand you're basically screwed. There's practically no parks and if you find a place it's riddled with stray dogs. There's no sidewalks so you'r basically constrained to walking around your compound or within your gates. Having dogs in Colorado is so enjoyable and there's a great culture here for trailing running, parks and lots of side walks with clean streets and safe drivers.

? Finally is the government in Thailand. I feel like a chump for tolerating those people and basically begging at this point to be allowed entry into their country like I'm a dangerous criminal. In America we permit Thais to own land and private businesses if they get in line and apply, but if I come to them this is how they repay us. Sick of being a chump guys.

" I have no confidence they can fix the traffic issue or their government but I'll still hope for the best. Consider what it means so spend the best years of your life with people who don't inspire and motivate you.  ""-

This will be your LAST mistake. NEVER EVER EVER lament for a nation you are forced to surrender to their own self-determined dismal fate. Spit on the ground as you leave there and never look back.

I made that mistake with Brazil, I actually felt sorry for them for a year after leaving.

Nope. When you leave you swear this now, "I am going to become a powerful business man and I am going to drive their economy into hell bankruptcy like they did to me, and I havn't even accounted for the time they wasted, it's the same thing". You got to think like a Jew mate. That is how the Jews are so powerful. And then you teach this to your children, "Thailand destroyed the best years of my life, and all I was doing was trying to help them and they spat in my face. You must spend the rest of your life make sure you drive their economy into hell. They must pay for what they did to our family New Jew Former Goy Empire. - You got to Jew-Up mate. Be like the Jews. Marry up, 1/3 higher IQ per generation. In 300 years your descendants will rule the world like the jews do today. Remember what I told you - Spit on the last piece of Thai ground you can find before you leave. A big, you know that big grommet noise they make, get a big grommet up from your chest and spit it's green demon out onto the airport pathway.

Come to the center of the Empire. Siem Reap is the original empire of the whole region. This is where all the intelligent ones are.

Edited by KarminLine
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

True, but the OP is still relatively young.  For an Aussie, a couple of years in Europe could be fun.  It's all so dependent on the person though.  

For the American who was here in the early 70s and looking to move to Chiang Mai, I hope you're aware of the choking pollution several months a year.  For me that would be a complete dealbreaker about living there, and I'd rather move to a place like Hua Hin, or even Pattaya or Phuket.  

Yes, you make a great point. I don’t leave much to chance. I have (as I said in an earlier post) had the luxury of doing much research since March online. Anything I could think of, I’ve Googled. I have purchased ebooks and yes, the wife and I have discussed the farmers burning for three months or so. I won’t say it’s not a cause for concern, because it is. We we have taken the position that we’ll rent for a year and go from there. 

We we originally started initial inquiries in Pattaya and Hua Hin, but because of my wife wanting to be associated with CMU and wanting to teach in a very good private school, not a public school, Chiang Mai is where we have landed. I have to say, Hua Hin was very attractive. Because of the distance to CMU (and the natural feelings of trepidation when having to entertain driving any great distance twice a day at least five days a week), it’s easy understand our decision to start in Chiang Mai. 

No no illusions for the most part. Hopefully it works out. If not, we’ll make adjustments and go from there. 

Thank you you again for your input. Your points are well taken. 

Robert

On 7/22/2018 at 1:01 AM, goegoe said:

Do not listen to grumpy foreigners who have failed to have a life here and find all excuses to go back near Mom and Dad... They are the only cause of their troubles, not Thailand !

Says the person who joined Thaivisa this week. Yawn.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I didn't know that one needs to be a long time TVF member to have an informed opinion about Thailand

Then  as I have crossed the decade membership mark, I guess I must qualify for membership in the TVF FN Thai genius club. :tongue: Please PM me instructions on the secret handshake.

LOL!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I first came to Thailand in 1993 for work and kept coming back as I found a good lady here. I divorced in the UK in 1999 and remarried in 2000. We now have a 14 year old son.

It is a bit different for me than you as I am married to a Thai so she owns the land and house etc but it doesn't mean that much to me. Also we live in rural Khampaeng Phet on about 2 1/2 acres. 

Unfortunately you will need to rent unless you buy a condo and that has a few problems of its own.

Despite the naysayers Thailand IS a great place to live though like many countries it has its own peculiar set of problems. Away from the main tourist centres Thais are quite friendly and helpful and, at least in rural Thailand, the smiles are genuine.

Try to learn Thai as it does help a lot but if not and you really need something that you cannot ask for then go to Google translate for a translation, search for what you want on the internet and download a photo of it, then put the English, Thai and photo together and print it out.

Sometimes a picture really is worth 1,000 words.

Thanks for your perspective. 

25 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

Can you give some examples of these policies?

All the no alcohol days , everyone knows that farangs can not go without beer for more than a few hours :tongue:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sirineou said:
4 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Says the person who joined Thaivisa this week. Yawn.

I didn't know that one needs to be a long time TVF member to have an informed opinion about Thailand

Then  as I have crossed the decade membership mark, I guess I must qualify for membership in the TVF FN Thai genius club. :tongue: Please PM me instructions on the secret handshake.

Edited 3 hours ago by sirineou

Unfortunately one of the things that makes ThaiVisa a fading site is too many T. Teamers coming in to deflect OP's . I understand it's their job and somewhat sympathetic on that account, economy is tight and all , BUT. You can say whatever you want however, your credibility will be considered. Just a fact, natch.

"Do not listen to grumpy foreigners who have failed to have a life here and find all excuses to go back near Mom and Dad... They are the only cause of their troubles, not Thailand !"

Reading it again I stand with my statement. Your interpretation, hey, Up 2 U   :thumbsup: 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Unfortunately one of the things that makes ThaiVisa a fading site is too many T. Teamers coming in to deflect OP's .

"Do not listen to grumpy foreigners who have failed to have a life here and find all excuses to go back near Mom and Dad... They are the only cause of their troubles, not Thailand !"

Reading it again I stand with my statement. Your interpretation, hey, Up 2 U   :thumbsup: 

We are all from different places and not all share the same expressions.As such I don't understand your reply. What is a" T. Teamer" ? 

20 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Unfortunately one of the things that makes ThaiVisa a fading site is too many T. Teamers coming in to deflect OP's

Another thing that might make TVF a fading site could be dismissing the opinion of new members because they are new. If we made this place more welcoming to new opinions perhaps we can reverse the "fading" trend if indeed there is such a trend.

25 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I understand it's their job and somewhat sympathetic on that account, economy is tight and all

as i said I don't know what T. Teamers are or what their job is . But I don't think there is anyone whose job is to deflect OPs whatever that means.

29 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You can say whatever you want but yes, your credibility will be considered

IMO, on the merits of what one says not on how long they are TVF members.