Abandoned House

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum.

In our village and next to our house is a house that was once owned by a farang. It was bought using a company which is now defunct. The guy has left the country and is not contactable - it's been 5 years now. He left because of possible illegalities I believe.

The house is overgrown and crumbling and goodness know what creatures are in residence.

The village say they can do nothing as the house was paid for.

My question is, are there any laws of a limitation which might make the property's status something else? or...will it just be there forever!

Thanks,

Komodo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I know, I can read, I was responding to BEVUP's daft claim.

Not daft really, your just being technical 

I pretty well know the ownership laws here much better then some, going of threads & posts I've seen 

A bit like when they think a house can't be sold or mortgaged if it has Usufrut

Edited by BEVUP
  • Like 2

Thanks guys!

Interesting - so who owns the assets of a company that has gone bust?

The house was paid outright. I don't know if he owed anyone any money.

Also, if the company is bust then the Thai shareholders would also loose the house, no?

Squatting = LOL

Thanks

Komodo

You'll possibly find that the original Thai names on the Farangs company documents don't know each other, were paid 500 baht each for their signature, and can't be traced.

Also, for fear of more problems with a defunct company, they'd probably not want to admit any liabilities.

Edited by Andyfez
  • Like 2

I know you said the locals say it was bought outright, but it wouldn't hurt to check the Government Land Auctions for that area, the place we live in was in the auction listings for over ten years. It would also be good to take Bevur's advice and see who really owns it. 

• Like 1

Whether the house was bought through a company or not, ownership is governed by Book VI of the Thai Civil and Commercial Code. The local Mueang government will be able to advise you

• Like 1

Just a suggestion, its an eyesore, you live next to it...why don't you get a quick coat of paint on it, tidy up the outside and put a for sale sign on it?  Little cost and then you have no eyesore and maybe someone will buy it!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, happylarry said:

Move in and squat for ten years and its then yours.....lol

HL

Interesting option ! Maybe you can go in and use clean the area and house,  it sees nobody can complain about someone squatting  as no one take responsibility.  If you do maybe someone will appears   

• Like 2

You might consider paying a contractor to demolish the house or do it yourself. You could plant some trees and flowers there and the owners, whoever they might be, would never know. 

You can check the status of company at the Business Development Dept, if you have the name which you might be able to get from your village admin office or the local land office, if you don't have it already. If it has been struck off, creditors should have been given the opportunity to claim a share of its assets first, if it was in debt. If not, the assets should have been divided up amongst its shareholders which would have probably have involved selling the house.  Since the house was not seized by creditors, it seems more likely that the controller of the company just abandoned the company and the house.  Not filing accounts for the company could result in it being struck off but all the past filings including lists of shareholders and directors will still be avaible at the BDD where you can do a search and pay a modest fee to print out whatever pages you need.    

• Like 1

Many houses in Thailand are shunned by Thais because someone has died a violent death there.

While the house may be owned by a company, the land underneath is owned by a Thai. The owner should be registered at the land office.

• Thanks 1

Creatures of the night and ghosts of course . I would join in. 

I thought the rule was 15 years - before anybody could do much ( thinking about those ghostly condos in Bangkok ? 

Tidy up the road , plant some trees - for once actually do something rather than whinging. 

5 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Just a suggestion, its an eyesore, you live next to it...why don't you get a quick coat of paint on it, tidy up the outside and put a for sale sign on it?  Little cost and then you have no eyesore and maybe someone will buy it!

Buy it from whom???

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, BEVUP said:

Not daft really, your just being technical 

I pretty well know the ownership laws here much better then some, going of threads & posts I've seen 

A bit like when they think a house can't be sold or mortgaged if it has Usufrut

Yes, it's clear how well informed you are "knowing the ownership laws" and the restrictions or otherwise of a usufrut [sic]...what's one of them when it's about, then? 

Isn't "being technical" actually just being accurate?

10 hours ago, murrinman said:

get over there and have a tidy up if its giving you the tom tits not hard  support the local economy pay a couple of fellas to do for you make a bit of merit  go on and stop your whinging

Exactly!

• Confused 1