Renewing UK passport - Section 3

nausea

I'm renewing my UK passport. Section 3 of the United Kingdom passport application requests you send your current uncancelled passport with the application. In reality, from what I've read, when applying from Thailand you send a colour copy and retain the original for ID purposes, at least until you receive the new one, when it is cancelled in the usual manner. So I'm assuming you complete Section 3 as though you were sending the original, even though you aren't really. Can anyone confirm this is the case.

Whilst I'm here - proof of residence. I'm assuming an end of year P60 statement from my pension provider, addressed to me at my Thai address, will be sufficiently heavy duty and authoritative looking to suffice, even though it originates from the UK and not Thailand.

16 hours ago, nausea said:

Whilst I'm here - proof of residence. I'm assuming an end of year P60 statement from my pension provider, addressed to me at my Thai address, will be sufficiently heavy duty and authoritative looking to suffice, even though it originates from the UK and not Thailand.

This whole issue has very recently been the subject of considerable debate in this thread:-

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need color copies of your old passport.

As long as your P60 is not more than a year old it will be accepted for proof of address.

Have your read the guidance notes and supporting docuement you can open on this page. https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

OK, thanks to Ubonjoe and all who commented. My original query still stands though. Maybe I'm just being too pernickety but there's a contradiction between the guidance notes and the application form.

Section 3 asks:

Have you had or been included on any sort of passport before?  (You must fill in this section.)

"A Has the person named in section 2 had any sort of passport (British or otherwise) ... before?"

(I have, it's the one I'm renewing)

"B You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application (say how many in the box) ... ."

(well, it would be 1, but the guidance notes say I retain it and provide a colour copy).

So like I said before, I'm just going to complete this section as though I was sending my uncancelled passport, even though I'm not really.

Section 3A - Yes;

Section 3B - 1.

I was just seeking some confirmation others had taken the same approach.

41 minutes ago, nausea said:

OK, thanks to Ubonjoe and all who commented. My original query still stands though. Maybe I'm just being too pernickety but there's a contradiction between the guidance notes and the application form.

See the following in supporting documents. By current British passport there is the number 1.

image.png.8a24935dfb11e50973028c1e3cf606bb.png

At the bottom of the page see 1.

image.png.f21d2fb67112b3def57d144571aa9620.png

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

See the following in supporting documents. By current British passport there is the number 1.

image.png.8a24935dfb11e50973028c1e3cf606bb.png

At the bottom of the page see 1.

image.png.f21d2fb67112b3def57d144571aa9620.png

Thanks for that Ubonjoe but my query isn't about what's required, it's about what to put on the application form. Anyway, I've pretty much made up my mind that I need to complete Section 3 as though I were sending my passport, even though I'm not. I don't know what else I can do given that the Section 3 requirements are in the imperative (must) and no alternative is provided. Like I said previously, I'm probably just being too fussy about dotting i's and crossing t's.

49 minutes ago, nausea said:

... Anyway, I've pretty much made up my mind that I need to complete Section 3 as though I were sending my passport, even though I'm not. 

I think that, if you're sending only a copy of your current passport without the original, your application will be rejected. 

You can't just 'send' the passport for renewal, somebody - you or an agent - must present the documents at Trendy Building in person and collect a receipt that allows the new passport to be collected later.

My passport's currently away for renewal using the 5,000ฺ ฿ agent service mentioned by Kwasaki at Post 2. The agent takes the passport and copy (which they make) to Trendy Building, leaves the copy and retain the original passport until the new one's ready, at which time they take it back to Trendy, collect the new passport and get the old one cancelled. Presumably, if you need the old passport during that time, the agent can return it to you.

If you're going to Bangkok to do the renewal yourself, you retain the original passport after handing-over the docs.

21 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I think that, if you're sending only a copy of your current passport without the original, your application will be rejected. 

Thanks for the advice but I'm aware of all the ins and outs, got most of it from Bangkok Phil and the UK government links he provides. I would highly recommend anyone undertaking this process read that blog (https://www.ajarn.com/blogs/bangkok-phil/renewing-a-uk-passport-in-bangkok).

My query was purely about completing Section 3 of the application form because that section and the Government guidance notes contradict each other. And, like I said previously, I'm now pretty sure you complete it as though you were sending your original passport with the application even though you aren't really. Anyway, I think the documents are checked at the Trendy Building when you make the application, so no doubt they'll tell me if I'm wrong, and I really don't want to make a mountain out of this molehill.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, went to the Trendy Building today, and they (VFS Global) confirmed what I thought was correct, is correct. What's going to be really interesting is if they accept my SCB debit card when it's processed. The bank assures me the Mastercard logo is OK for international transactions, but we'll see. When I did the Income Letter thing the embassy requested a bankers draft in lieu. Incidentally, VFS Global is now on the 8th floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived