Serious noise problem in the old city

Adzy88

Hey everyone, I'm in need of some advice about a noise problem I've been encountering for the past 6 months. 

I live inside the old city, and a hotel was being built next door. No problem there, I can understand that theres no way around construction of a new building. 

The problem. Is that the construction finished about 6 months ago, and since then they have been using the back area of the hotel as a workshop to build tables chairs and other steel structures. This means grinding and sawing and nail guns all day.  This area backs right onto my house and there is really no escape from the noise. 

I've spoken with them about it numerous times in which they say it will all be done soon, it's been 6 months still no end in sight. 

What are my rights in this situation? 

Do I just have to grit my teeth and bear with it? 

Are they allowed to set up a workshop like that in the back of their hotel building things? 

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Thank you

You might get some success if they are making noise at night but really hard if it is day time. We had a hotel built down the soi from us last year and the whole neighbourhood complained about noise, noise of vehicles and mud build up on the road. Even with a large amount of people complaining we were pretty much ignored!

• Like 2

Do you live in the old city?

Ive heard that there are some sort of regulation in the old city. But Outside the city no rules apply. 

Also this is a bit different because its not the actual construction of the hotel, that finished 6 months ago. 

Its the noise from the work shop they have set up in the back loading area of the hotel. 

They will be finished one day,you will just have to put

up with till then, I've had the same problem for 3 years

they are building 2 rather large houses in front and to the

side of me,the actual fitting out of the houses has taken

a year so far,the air nail guns are the worse,its also a Cul-de-

sac, which fills up with vehicles so you cannot get in or out 

of your own house most days.but like I said ,one day they will be finished !

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Adzy88 said:

Do you live in the old city?

Ive heard that there are some sort of regulation in the old city. But Outside the city no rules apply. 

Also this is a bit different because its not the actual construction of the hotel, that finished 6 months ago. 

Its the noise from the work shop they have set up in the back loading area of the hotel. 

We live just outside the moat but same regulations apply. Supposedly they need permission for large vehicles, supposedly no noise after a certain hour , supposedly should clean the street twice a day. None of it gets followed and complaints go unanswered.

I once saw a Thai man stop construction at a site after 5 PM. My understanding was that there is nothing you can do from 9 AM - 5 PM, but after 5 PM you might have a case. I have no idea if this is true or not.

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

this is one of the reasons i always rent and not buy here.  there are no rules.  they can set up whatever they want, and make as much noise as you like.  the thais love noise

Indeed. Such things as noise only become a problem for those that ignored all the evidence and bought property in LOS. It's not a new thing, as I've been warning about buying for nearly 2 decades.

• Like 1

I worked in construction for 42 years , I always wonder when people complain about construction noise . Did their home or place of business just fall from the sky completely finished and no noise disturbed their neighbours ?