Vespa or Nmax. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

VocalNeal

19 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

My head says Yamaha but my heart says Vespa. If both are 150/155cc and fuel injected then main difference may be ABS brakes. 

Can get o/bore and big valve heads for both. 170 for Yamaha and 195/200 for Vespa. 

ABS is a separate model for NMax so depends how many Indonesians pay extra for it. 

I certainly can understand your confusion -- can't think of pairing/comparing 2 more different motorbikes. I would have thought that someone considering a Wasp would be considering a Scoopy or a Fino as alternatives, not a NMax.  Most potential buyers of the NMax would be considering a PCX, not a Vespa. I think you need to decide your priorities first, which is where the confusion/problem lies. They are different completely horses for different courses. I kind of like the look of the Vespa in an outdated, nostalgic kind of way (a poor man's answer to a '56 Chevy), but I would never own one. And if I were considering a Nmax, I would buy the PCX instead.  As between the 2 bikes that you mention, unless you are absolutely demanding of a flat floorboard (which, by also considering the NMax, you are obviously not) or are trying to impress your 17 year old Italian girlfriend?, the NMax is the obvious choice. I hope that you do better with life's more demanding choices -- good luck with this one...… And if you choose the Vespa, I hope that it holds its resale value in Indonesia.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Nice modern design....

Vespa2.jpg.865e2160b6aca81e85b45a114297d53e.jpg

No question that it is "cute". And if I was an 18 year old girl who wanted a bike with a flat floorboard for carrying lots of shopping bags, I would seriously consider one, along with a Scoopy. And if the price is comparable, I might go with the Vespa. If that is your point, I agree entirely. But the question presented was a choice between a Vespa and a NMax, which leaves me (as well as the OP) confused at least. Like one poster said "apples and oranges" -- actually apples and fruit salad! 

Having previously owned a 2015 PCX .... I traded it in on the 2018 NMax with ABS as including the PCX with the YSS suspension mods it is surpassed by the Yamaha in suspension ride quality, Disc brakes front/rear, Wider tyres better steering geometry and NMax has 10% more horsepower ...... BUT the NMax is not a fuel efficient as the PCX and has a smaller tank ... So from my point of view the trade off is not important for what and where I ride .....

• Like 1

Unless your thing is straddling a pig and having your passenger lose their lower-leg in any sort of T-bone situation, I’d go with a vintage-esque Vespa. In fact, I’d do it for the fun-factor, alone. 

• Like 1

Both are a bit extreme one too small with no road holding the other one too big for parking "anywhere" suggest looking at the Yamaha Aerox 155cc and very nice looking.

Best of luck deciding (might be a good idea to hire the bike of your choice for a day !!!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

Neither.

Scooters. Mods. Gay transport. Parka wearing soul boys want a good beating.

My opinion - buy another 2 stroke 300cc v twin..... Proper motorcycle. A man's motorcycle...........

Don't thank me. You're welcome.

I had a lot of "girl" fun as a Mod on my Vespa....:stoner:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

You were the King (leader of the pack) 'mod' at the age of 16?   :wai:  ? 

Weeeeeeell, nooooooo, at 15....I know, very naughty driving  underage but looking back now it was so much fun......:intheclub:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, petertucker48 said:

suggest looking at the Yamaha Aerox 155cc and very nice looking.

Yep. But maybe a bit boy racer for a geezer like me?

While performance is limited I'm thinking more Q bike than boy racer.

Edited by VocalNeal

I just bought a new Vespa GTX Super 150i and love it. Water cooled and the ABS brakes are amazing. It's like riding a 2-wheeled Rolls, it's so comfortable. The price in Surat Thani is only 150,000 baht.

12 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I just bought a new Vespa GTX Super 150i and love it. Water cooled and the ABS brakes are amazing. It's like riding a 2-wheeled Rolls, it's so comfortable. The price in Surat Thani is only 150,000 baht.

Seems a reasonable price. I do not know the wheel size but I would be 'uncomfortable' with small wheels as they do not handle rough road conditions (pot holes, bumps etc) very well. :whistling:

Vespa cost much. more to repair and service... body is steel, where as Yamaha is durable plastic  outer and very cheap to replace...Yamaha uses a solid frame unlike Honda,.

( Vespa is a sought out bike for theft )....A-lot of Yamahas are designed by the Italians, Example Grand Falano is designed by the Italians...basically a poor mans vespa,,,I have 3 of them,,EXCELLENT BIKES.. 

Note/ New models just hit the show rooms today at Mityon....Alot of HYBRIDS and keyless start ETC

Edited by yrag
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jamhar said:

Wait, this is a real thread?

Going from the title, I thought it was a gag ?

Not at all.

Both 150 cc

Both CVT

OK Yamaha 4v and Vespa 3v, but both more than PCX. Maybe the extra valve is for marketing? 3 might be enough?

Will only be used for urban, no multi-lane riding.

I'm going to "build" OK assemble a geezer Q-Bike, albiet slow in motorbike terms.

Just going to work 10-15 mins and shopping/eating in the evenings. So maybe lighting should be factored in? 

Edited by VocalNeal

The Yamaha has very clever variable valve technology , so its a 2 valve engine at lower revs for higher gas speeds , then the "second" cam kicks in at higher revs , providing more power and fuel efficiency. A very clever engine. Throwing this out there , as there arent many dealers , but how about a Scomadi scooter , designed in England. Look them up. Sort of an English Vespa.

• Thanks 1