TAT officially launches project to tackle increasing garbage at tourist spots

webfact

TAT officially launches project to tackle increasing garbage at tourist spots

trash.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 24 July 2018 (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand has launched a new project to tackle the problem of the rising level of garbage at various tourist destinations. 

The TAT’s new strategy is particularly aimed at lowering plastic waste by 50 percent within three years, starting from October 1st this year. 

This latest initiative follows reports of increasing marine debris and garbage produced on land, which currently contributes 20 percent and 80 percent of waste found around the country. 

With cooperation from various state agencies, the private sector and tourism-related associations, the TAT hopes to encourage tourists to avoid producing waste and dumping it at any tourist destination. 

TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said today that the new campaign hopes to persuade business operators and tourists to stop using plastic and switch to fabric bags and reusable containers, in most instances.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-24
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Blame the tourists !, no one else to blame ?,more litter bins would help.

Regards worgeordie

u no unnerstand mista ..is  not  look boootiful............. look anywhere and they actually try to put them out of site or even build  a screen around them........if they are actually there at all

9 minutes ago, z42 said:

Am almost speechless. Look in the mirror you fools, it isn't the tourists who have by and large zero environmental consciousness is it!

It is the locals, and local businesses that use and abuse plastic in far greater numbers who are almost exclusively to blame for the problem.

The authorities aren't tough enough or diligent enough to alter the Thai population's behaviour. And nor have they ever been.

You are reaping as a nation what you as a nation have sown. Dragging foreigners in as culprits is a total disgrace ?

i wouldnt be so sure with the now  hordes of Chinese  coming

• Like 1

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand has launched a new project to tackle the problem of the rising level of garbage at various tourist destinations."

Their brilliant solution: Gather it and dump it in residential areas.

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Blame the tourists !, no one else to blame ?

Maybe they mean the Thai "Tourists"...though I do start to see  a lot more at least try

( sometimes pathetic attempt) to clean up  after their beach pick-nick / boozing session.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

With cooperation from various state agencies, the private sector and tourism-related associations, the TAT hopes to encourage tourists to avoid producing waste and dumping it at any tourist destination. 

Pesky tourists. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

According the wiki, last year there were 35 million tourist arrivals. The population of Thailand is around 70 million.

Even if you accept the "Department of Tourism" figures, that means there are twice as many Thais are tourists, but the tourist are producing 50% of the plastic waste?

I really, really do want to see the level of plastic produced and discarded reduced dramatically, but going on previous statements by any government department, it will never happen.

The only way is for Thailand making it illegal to manufacture and issue plastic bags and enforcing it.

On a much lighter note, I see toilet usage is to be vastly restricted too: "encourage tourists to avoid producing waste and dumping it"

You are being generously fair to the Thais. Tourists generally come for a couple of weeks maximum Thai are here for 52.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

You are being generously fair to the Thais. Tourists generally come for a couple of weeks maximum Thai are here for 52.

Good point, although allowing for the sleeping between meals and during work, both groups could probably be seen as active for the same amount of time over a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yet again I comment the same thing. 

Get the Norwegian cleaners in. 

They will organise the trucks,  bins,  workers, scheduling, advertising, under ground dump locations etc.

All the government has to do is sign over the budget amount. 

But no pressure.  Just sayin'.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted non-English text.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the TAT hopes to encourage tourists to avoid producing waste and dumping it at any tourist destination. 

The tourist waste producing facilities I have visited are an utter disgrace...…...but with such an investment, the rubbish has to go somewhere, a pick up load here and there on this beach or that. Time the tourist waste producing factories were sanctioned! 

24 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Yet again I comment the same thing. 

Get the Norwegian cleaners in. 

They will organise the trucks,  bins,  workers, scheduling, advertising, under ground dump locations etc.

All the government has to do is sign over the budget amount. 

But no pressure.  Just sayin'.

Na wa ah mean.

Less 30% for you know what.

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Less 30% for you know what.

I would teach them a lesson and print trillions and trillions of baht and give it all to high profile politicians. 

Every month do it.  I would force them to drown in money. 

Just close the Information Offices where not one of the Dolly Mops speak English Give em a Broom not an I phone Dont sit outside them offices.Tourists come out and say Can You Speak English, no one in there can..!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Blame Thailand's environmental disaster of sea trash on -- of course -- the tourists!!!  ?  Better yet, Chinese tourists.  You can blame them for everything and they still keep coming in droves. 

Thailand -- the one country that I've visited in the world where it is next to impossible to find public refuse bins, and it you can find one then one that isn't overflowing.  I'll give props to PTT and other petrol stations though - almost always can find a bin there.  Out on public streets in the cities - best of luck.

• Like 1