Student-loan guarantor gets reprieve

webfact

29 minutes ago, nahkit said:

" Now a school executive "

Promoted in recognition of her skills.

The Peter Principle: In an organizational hierarchy, every employee will rise or get promoted to his or her level of incompetence.

18 minutes ago, atyclb said:

arguably her decision even less sensible than deciding to enter a dangerous cave known to flood after torrential rains began. 

Yes, but she entered the cave because she didn't want to get wet in the rain...

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I understand what you're saying. Perhaps it's down to how it was taught at school? I feel reasonably confident when doing it mentally.

The eleven times table: 27 x11: Add the two digits 2 and 7, placing the result in the middle: 297. That doesn't need an approximation, as it's just a cheats way to do it mentally. 52x11=572 Just a bit of fun to impress people - but perhaps not a Thai teacher!

I went into our local shop for three Leos at 60 Baht each. Gave the woman 200 Baht and told her I needed 20 Baht change. She used a calculator to arrive at the same result, and was astounded I could do it in my head.

Years ago I saw a bar cashier use a calculator to work out 1,000 minus 100.

I'm sure you wouldn't need a calculator for those two, although the locals here seem to.

No i would not need a calculator for those two, I can calculate quite wel. But for work related things where one needs to be sure a calculator is better. I do get it you need some basic skills but I feel its just wasted time doing rote learning. I get what you mean and i certainly feel we all need basic skills but beyond basic skills a calculator is what is going to be used. For shopping and stuff i don't need a calculator of course and if I make a mistake its not a problem. But in a work setting making a mistake is far worse. The locals will have to pay for all mistakes they make (from their wages) so i understand them using a calculator to exclude the risk completely.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Their parents have also said they do not have any money or assets,” Vipa said.

The message they are sending is; ha, ha, ha, up yours, who cares.

Nice lady but sadly, she has become a member of, the one born every minute club.

4 hours ago, z42 said:

While I feel for this lady I am also at a loss to figure out what the hell she was thinking. Surely a loan guarantor should be someone who is blood related or an incredibly close and trusted family friend of the person taking the loan.

I am a teacher, and some of the students I have taught over the course of my career have been wonderful people, however if any of them were to ask me to guarantee their student loans I (even in my wettest behind the ears days) would have probably laughed in their faces and said that it is no way my duty or responsibility to do such a thing.

And this woman has guaranteed 60 that we know of. Absolutely foolish in the extreme

Never lend, or gamble, more than you can afford to lose. A shame that a good hearted lady who tried to help her students fell victim to her ideals and her naiveté. In the US it has been very common over the generations for teachers to buy things out of their pockets like books, uniforms, basic supplies, etc., pay for class trips, some have spent a lot of money, but nowhere near the amount of college tuition. Such a shame that the teacher didn't consult with an advisor about this, I would think that the bank itself might have advised her not to do so. 

Obviously not a maths teacher.. or I hope not!

Pure stupidity on her part.. an educated person she understood fully the implications of signing as guarantor for a loan.

And she expected them all to repay as promised? 

Seems to me that teachers can get whatever loan they want from money institutions with ease..

dis the money lender ask just how the loan would be repaid before agreeing funds for the students or did they expect the good teacher to pay-up in each case of a student defaulting?

This is Thailand... no checks, no balances

just stupidity!

It's not help she needs.. more in the line of therapy for guaranteeing a Thai!!

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

This was not a job for her, it was a job for the families of the children, who should not have been allowed to shirk their responsibilities.

If they had no money there are charities and government bodies who can assist, as long as you can stop the government officers stealing the funds as recently reported.

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Lets hope no one is disturbed, bitter and twisted enough to disparage this fantastic thai woman who has committed these wonderful acts of altruism to help her thai students.

She is typical of the average thai citizen and that is what makes it such a wonderful country to live in.

Why so many dont see this is bewildering

I have lost so much money from the "average Thai citizen" in the form of loans not repaid, in the 15 years I have lived here, that I believe there are many people here who would steal 10000 bahts each from at least 60 people without batting an eyelid. Why so many people don't see this is bewildering to me. but, like the teacher, I have learned my lesson and will not "lend" money to, or act as guarantor for, anybody in future.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, z42 said:

While I feel for this lady I am also at a loss to figure out what the hell she was thinking. Surely a loan guarantor should be someone who is blood related or an incredibly close and trusted family friend of the person taking the loan.

I am a teacher, and some of the students I have taught over the course of my career have been wonderful people, however if any of them were to ask me to guarantee their student loans I (even in my wettest behind the ears days) would have probably laughed in their faces and said that it is no way my duty or responsibility to do such a thing.

And this woman has guaranteed 60 that we know of. Absolutely foolish in the extreme

Yes, and not even investigating whether they would be able to pay back the loan, as any money lender worth their salt would do. Now many have claimed that they can't pay it back and nor can their family. It never ceases to amaze me how childish even supposedly educated adults can be in Thailand.

28 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

They should publish a list of all of the students who defaulted, their parents, and if they are working, the names of their employers. Don't let them get away with this sight unseen

You forget where you are. This is Thailand, where damaging someone's reputation - no matter how justified - is a criminal offence. 

5 hours ago, z42 said:

Yes, even if she did it thinking she  am doing well, sorry, but Thais should learn to live with the responsibility of their act.  Probably a couple of generation to make them understand <responsibility >.

2 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:
  3 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Lets hope no one is disturbed, bitter and twisted enough to disparage this fantastic thai woman who has committed these wonderful acts of altruism to help her thai students.

She is typical of the average thai citizen and that is what makes it such a wonderful country to live in.

What I see first and foremost is that she did indeed have a good heart but nevertheless was irresponsible in guaranteeing 60 loans which she was clearly unable to honour if things went wrong.  As far as your point goes about her action being typical of the average Thai citizen in this wonderful country, I assume then that you certainly do not regard the 27 students out of the 60 who did not repay their loans, despite the selfless action of their teacher, as typical Thai citizens?   So, 45% of the students left their teacher in a position where she might lose her home and yet those already contacted and their families still refuse to pay.

Rose-tinted glasses always give a different perspective to reality....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

It's going to be a bit difficult to digest by a number of honourable old members :tongue:  

• Like 1