German man arrested for NINETEEN year overstay

webfact

15 minutes ago, balo said:

I earn more as a digital nomad than teachers on 40k salaries. 

A teacher job sounds very stressing to me , and all the hours of hard work, you are surrounded by children and that could also be a problem  . 

I do not envy you but I guess a job is a job . 

Good for you,  but  quite condescending.

Why would being with kids be a problem?

So what you make more money?

I can involve myself with Thailand in a direct way with Thai kids and other teachers.

For me it's better than being in a work share space full of farang and oblivious to Thailand and its culture.

I don't give a flying f@@@ that you make more money than I do. Life isn't money, it's experience and joy. The sheer arrogance of your post astounds me.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Good for you,  but  quite condescending.

Why would being with kids be a problem?

So what you make more money?

I can involve myself with Thailand in a direct way with Thai kids and other teachers.

For me it's better than being in a work share space full of farang and oblivious to Thailand and its culture.

I don't give a flying f@@@ that you make more money than I do. Life isn't money, it's experience and joy. The sheer arrogance of your post astounds me.

Let's be honest, any serious teacher would be in somewhere like South Korea making real money

The ones here are mostly Degens who couldn't survive in the real world  and are here for the cheap beer and pu$$y

43 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Let's be honest, any serious teacher would be in somewhere like South Korea making real money

The ones here are mostly Degens who couldn't survive in the real world  and are here for the cheap beer and pu$$y

BS. Rubbish.

I'm here neither for the beer nor the pu$$y. I take my job seriously, but I'm not a serious teacher, ie,  in it for the money.

I like living in Thailand and teaching allows me to do it. Nothing wrong with that.

Couldn't survive in the real world? Define "real world."

Why so judgmental?

17 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

BS. Rubbish.

I'm here neither for the beer nor the pu$$y. I take my job seriously, but I'm not a serious teacher, ie,  in it for the money.

I like living in Thailand and teaching allows me to do it. Nothing wrong with that.

Couldn't survive in the real world? Define "real world."

Why so judgmental?

Indeed, an ignorant view of life. Teaching in Korea might be an excellent experience for those who are single, but not when you like Thailand and its people. Why would anybody want to send money to his family in Thailand and live alone in a country like South Korea? Where's the real world? 

16 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Teaching in Thailand is chump money that's true.  But teaching is an honourable profession, even for us TEFL teachers, and some people have already made sufficient money in the 'real world'.

Online is likely where it's at, but you have to be good, and a lot of it is a youngster's game.

Care to give us your definition of the real world? 

You come across as a something of a rude, young Cuthbert who needs disciplining!

Toodle pip.

On 7/27/2018 at 10:40 AM, newatthis said:

My confusion is your blaming miscreants like this German for a change in immigration policy.

He and his ilk, along with the continuous stream of people using visa runs to extend what is a 90 day tourist visa as a means of unlimited stay in the LOS, have caused the change in Thai Immigration policy.

I read the letter that was sent to the international school where I worked from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. We all did. There was also a proviso, suspended only for teachers at certain schools in Laos, that we must have 200,000 baht in a bank account here.

Has your confusion subsided?

16 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Really? I worked in Korea for 6 years. I also taught in China, which also has the aura of being a place to make 'real money'. Both ideas ring hollow.

Wages and benefits have dropped significantly since I was in Korea. Whereas when I first arrived there the minimum starting wage was 2.2 million Won (US$2200) with a free furnished apartment, return airfare and 22 days paid vacation; whilst now starting wages are around 1.8 million Won with 400,000 towards an apartment (you usually pay key money) less vacation and airfare (which is not paid upfront but refunded to the cheapest way possible, who cares if you wait 12 hours in an airport). Plenty of nubile women looking for a falang there as Korean men seem to be stuck in the 50's mentality. (1850's!)

Note that I went to Korea in 2005. The cost of living has skyrocketed since then.

I teach in Laos now. Clear US$2200/month with 3 months paid vacation and a health plan.

26 minutes ago, Cereal said:

He and his ilk, along with the continuous stream of people using visa runs to extend what is a 90 day tourist visa as a means of unlimited stay in the LOS, have caused the change in Thai Immigration policy.

I read the letter that was sent to the international school where I worked from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. We all did. There was also a proviso, suspended only for teachers at certain schools in Laos, that we must have 200,000 baht in a bank account here.

He is an overstayer pure and simple and it wouldn't really matter if it was VOA, tourist, or non resident visa. So tightening up rules really isn't going to stop overstayers- nothing can really.  He wasn't doing visa runs- that actually was the problem!! 

I'm a bit confused myself about what you are doing- working in Laos but travelling frequently/ living in Thailand?.  If this is correct then  I imagine that your pattern of behaviour does unfortunately mirror that of some altogether more dangerous characters than our German friend.

23 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

He is an overstayer pure and simple and it wouldn't really matter if it was VOA, tourist, or non resident visa. So tightening up rules really isn't going to stop overstayers- nothing can really.  He wasn't doing visa runs- that actually was the problem!! 

I'm a bit confused myself about what you are doing- working in Laos but travelling frequently/ living in Thailand?.  If this is correct then  I imagine that your pattern of behaviour does unfortunately mirror that of some altogether more dangerous characters than our German friend.

Rest at ease, brother. I do not live in Thailand, I live in Laos. I go over to Thailand shopping with my wife perhaps every 3 months. We also visit family then as my wife's mom was Thai. I have no desire to live in that country. It has good and bad points, as all places do. However, it's way too busy and loud for me. I like the quiet and peacefulness of Laos, although it's getting busier since I came a dozen years ago.

As well, tightening up rules would most assuredly stop, or at the very least seriously curtail, overstayers. For example, throw them in prison! 10X the length of your overstay would do the trick I am sure. No exceptions of course. Looks like old Eugen would be carried out on a gurney. Too bad, so sad, don't overstay in your next life.

45 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I wasn't confused prior to this post, but can't say the same now. Would you care to re-write for understanding.

15 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Rest at ease, brother. I do not live in Thailand, I live in Laos. I go over to Thailand shopping with my wife perhaps every 3 months. We also visit family then as my wife's mom was Thai. I have no desire to live in that country. It has good and bad points, as all places do. However, it's way too busy and loud for me. I like the quiet and peacefulness of Laos, although it's getting busier since I came a dozen years ago.

As well, tightening up rules would most assuredly stop, or at the very least seriously curtail, overstayers. For example, throw them in prison! 10X the length of your overstay would do the trick I am sure. No exceptions of course. Looks like old Eugen would be carried out on a gurney. Too bad, so sad, don't overstay in your next life.

I don't understand why you should have such a bee in your bonnet about one feckless individual living in another country that you don't much care for, who has committed what is actually a misdemeanour.

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I don't understand why you should have such a bee in your bonnet about one feckless individual living in another country that you don't much care for, who has committed what is actually a misdemeanour.

More than likely nothing else to do. 

On 7/26/2018 at 9:02 AM, Time Traveller said:

I doubt those people care about your visa....they don't work for immigration.

Exactly yes, as long as you avoid those 2 then all is good...

Just took the plane twice earlier this month with the wife and her expired passport of 4 years ago (new one was a Foreign Embassy to get Schengen Visa).

Passport clearly stating expiry in 2014 next to her name, 2 planes, 2 airport, not one question...

Pretty sure most bank checks will be a thorough as airlines did... 

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 1:38 AM, taipan1949 said:

I am curious about how long exactly are these people held before they are actually put on a plane and deported??

I believe they are held until they can organise the money to pay their own fare home.

So it could be another 17 year overstay.

18 hours ago, talahtnut said:

I believe they are held until they can organise the money to pay their own fare home.

I think they just let them go back on the streets again when there's no money .

Plenty of foreign street beggars in Bangkok. 

i love it when you go to the post office to post a letter and they want to see your bloody passport, <deleted> is that all about,, feel like saying i have got a letter bomb here, and here is my false passport, but thought better of it, ha ha

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, mikebell said:

Isn't it 500 baht a day 'fine'?  Or is there a maximum negotiable?

Officially the maximum fine is 20K but if you surrender yourself to immigration in Bangkok and you have money for a ticket back home its negotiable. Maybe 10-12 000 baht only regardless of time spent here.. This German appears to have been caught in Trang which is amazing .Someone must have dropped a dime on him and not necessarly a Thai.

There would be many farangs in Isaan and up North who have overstayed alot longer than 19 years,

They wont be caught because they dont visit bar towns and keep to themselves .

Cant travel domestically either but that will slacken off  after the next election.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:50 AM, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, declare a blanket amnesty to all overstayers, get to know who they're, fine then accordingly and renew their visa if they are good people and not a  wanted criminals of fujities of some sort, that way Thailand will show that they're reasonable and forgiving and by doing that they may have the chance to clear the books and start fresh...

They had the amnesty, the time ran out.

I am German,

my last passport lasted 4 years and still had 4 pages free.

Somewhere in the middle because some lads didn't care where to put the stamp and others just stamped behind. 

In total i needed in 15 years Thailand 5 Passports and most pages are blocked by Cambodia Visa Stickers.

Pity if I would have met my compatriot 15 years ago he would have given me good advice how to safe pages in my passport and it would have been naturally expired before I had to apply for a new one.. 

On 7/26/2018 at 6:54 AM, Jeremy50 said:

Nineteen years of laughing at us 'gullible fools' who play by the rules doing visa runs, and renewing our passports every 3 years. Time's up Karl, enjoy your incarceration and trip back to the Fatherland. 

In 19 years how much money he would have brought into Thailand?

On 10/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, See Will said:

I am German,

my last passport lasted 4 years and still had 4 pages free.

Somewhere in the middle because some lads didn't care where to put the stamp and others just stamped behind. 

In total i needed in 15 years Thailand 5 Passports and most pages are blocked by Cambodia Visa Stickers.

Pity if I would have met my compatriot 15 years ago he would have given me good advice how to safe pages in my passport and it would have been naturally expired before I had to apply for a new one.. 

put 400 k in a fixed deposit then u need only every 10 yrs a new passport.

wbr

roobaa01

On 7/26/2018 at 7:50 AM, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, declare a blanket amnesty to all overstayers, get to know who they're, fine then accordingly and renew their visa if they are good people and not a  wanted criminals of fujities of some sort, that way Thailand will show that they're reasonable and forgiving and by doing that they may have the chance to clear the books and start fresh...

Interesting. .I wonder how many are there amongst commentators!?

Archived