German man arrested for NINETEEN year overstay

webfact

A police spokesperson said they had been on the case for 19 years wondering why he did not come back after 90 days we have been very patient down at the karaoke salon, expecting him back any time.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why? I know many 60 year olds who have been here years and can't even say what month it is in Thai. Always my first question to test someone's language ability.

Wow you have an inflated sense of self importance... 

What difference should it make to you whether someone knows the Thai calender or not?? 

Some of us have more important/enjoyable things to do with our time

On 7/25/2018 at 9:24 PM, Cereal said:

I am with this sentiment 100%. In fact I'd go further:

Jail time per length of overstay:

- 1 month for each year

- 1 week for each month

- 1 day for each week

Therefore Eugen would be looking at 20 months in the crowbar hotel courtesy of the Thai government.

That crap has got to stop because it has already affected me and many others like me. My "jump through all the proper hoops and legalities obtained" business visa in Laos used to allow me unlimited access into the LOS. My wife and I used to go at least monthly, do some shopping and visit her family.

Thai immigration changed the laws a couple of years ago limiting me to 2 land crossings a year unless I buy a 6 month multi-entry visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane for 5000 baht. I have bought said visa but the only reason I had to do so was because of scofflaws like Eugen et al.  Their illegal, greedy, selfish, careless and thoughtless actions cost me money.

No sympathy here in the slightest. Barring the extraordinary, there is no plausible reason whatsoever to have an overstay. Throw them away and then deport them for life.

And that's the German's fault?

You blaming the previous 19 years of government actions on him when he was just arrested and the govt has been changing the rules every year?

Pretty spiteful of you.

If Thailand was a land of civilised compassion, they would offer citizenship to this guy. He is probably a well integrated, fluent Thai speaker,  member of his community. Unlike many Thai men of the younger generation..

2 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

I love the way Thailand handles illegals. Deport them all. Nobody needs a country where the taxpayers put illegal migrants up in hotels where the citizens are freezing on the streets.

Yeah, cos migrants are really put in 'hotels' - and how about a country that looks after its citizens instead of austerity measures that benefit the rich only? If they did that, then there wouldn't be citizens freezing on the streets - but yeah blame it all on 'migrants' 

On 7/26/2018 at 6:52 AM, Darcula said:

How is that even possible without the help of locals and BIB? When even to buy a pack of gum you need to provide 3 signed copies of your passport including the page with latest entry stamp.

OUCH, I R confused Darcula, which country are you referring to?  Here in Isaan, showing my Thai drivers license has always worked perfectly fine for those rare occasions when someone needs to see ID.  Of course, this is other than 90-day, etc., visits to the local immigration office, and even since May 2014.

16 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Wow you have an inflated sense of self importance... 

What difference should it make to you whether someone knows the Thai calender or not?? 

Some of us have more important/enjoyable things to do with our time

When people learn another language, they can:

- Learn in a structured step by step program at a school or use structured course books. Learning the months doesn't come up for quite a few lessons. Some adult foreigners find it intimidating and disruptive to their social activities and some folks like this approach.

- Learn by unstructured immersion, therefore mostly focusing on the vocabulary and conversations to transact basic living. Learning the months not a priority and, perhaps it develops one by one over many years.

3 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

I love the way Thailand handles illegals. Deport them all. Nobody needs a country where the taxpayers put illegal migrants up in hotels where the citizens are freezing on the streets.

Yup there is not a lot they get right but this is one of them. Remember when of boat full of Rhohingya showed up, the Navy towed them back out to sea, they never came again. The Thais don't let themselves be taken advantage of, here illegally you pay the fare home. In the UK we put on special flights for them, in the rare occasions where illegals are deported.

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

Interesting that we are getting so many ancient threads popping back up again.

Just sayin'

Could it be something to do with the more recent content being the same everyday. Also the number of new threads seems to have dropped considerably over the years. And back on subject, has he returned yet under a new name?

30 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Could it be something to do with the more recent content being the same everyday. Also the number of new threads seems to have dropped considerably over the years. And back on subject, has he returned yet under a new name?

Yes

Heremann Uberschreiten.

11 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

There's a German in our village that has been on over stay since he went on the run for war crimes from ww2.

Lots of Japanese in the Islands who have been on overstay since 1945.

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I find the amount of time spent sitting in bars is inversely related to a long term expat's Thai language ability. 

Strange, innit. Only a certain type of bar though, where they see called handsum regularly.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, raccos21 said:

If the visa application rules and regulations are not complicated they probably won't overstay I guess 

The irony is that the German first went into overstay in early 1999 - back then overstay rules were very far from complicated, and they continued to be simple right up until March 2016. Any time during this 17 year period he could have gone to the airport with a flight out and the 20000 bt fine in hand, and returned the next day with no blacklisting. Had he done so during the period of amnesty after the new law was announced late 2015, he'd have succeeded in spending around 3 baht a day on his visa costs... 

In his case probably either he gets ripped off Thai lady and don't know what to do, can’t effort to pay 20k fine, and flight ticket back home. or he just ignores all those rules that popped up wait for Christmas day for a free flight back home. Wondering how did he slip from this! Cool!

the german embassy would sponsor him, if no paying relatives can be sourced. he is entitle to german social seurity from the day he enters the country euro 420 monthly plus flat paid as to free health care, furniture, fridge etc.

probably needs to pay back the embassy expenses.

wbr

roobaa01

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nineteen years overstay .... he saved a fortune in visa costs  !

No visa cost implied if you never quit Thailand,

and about 36'000 Baht "saved" on Extensions.

He will pay more than that in fine and travel...

25 minutes ago, kralledr said:

You have no clue why he decided to overstay...

So why ypu wish him that?...

Yes it’s an overstay so what, he didn’t kill rape or harm anyone don’t understand people who alway want bad for people it’s not even news been going on here for months.

Archived