German man arrested for NINETEEN year overstay

webfact

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/26/2018 at 8:13 AM, bluesofa said:

OK, I know this is going back twenty years, but when I lived in Nong Khai for a while, I came across quite a few guys with long overstays, who decided it was better to clear them up.

There was a horse trainer working in Kanchanaburi illegally with more than five years overstay. A father and son (the father was a Vietnam vet), both of them had been living in the back of beyond illegally for more than ten years.

At the the time, IIRC as long as you surrendered yourself the maximum fine was 10,000 Baht, then straight off to the newly-opened friendship bridge to get stamped out and in again with a thirty-day visa waiver.

That sounds very kind on the part of the government. So people are encouraged to abuse the system. Just like the society security in England and other countries. They abuse the system all the times.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 5:20 AM, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, declare a blanket amnesty to all overstayers, get to know who they're, fine then accordingly and renew their visa if they are good people and not a  wanted criminals of fujities of some sort, that way Thailand will show that they're reasonable and forgiving and by doing that they may have the chance to clear the books and start fresh...

A brilliant idea indeed!

Has the USA or any other country in the West done that?

What concerns me most this is both an excellent and logical idea nobody loses face and the governments gets its money owing to them.  What frightens me most it is simple, excellent and logical. Thailand is not known for simplicity and logic. In Australia we say "thai people make anything Easy -Difficult and anything Difficult- Impossible", particularly The Government.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:38 AM, taipan1949 said:

I am curious about how long exactly are these people held before they are actually put on a plane and deported??

Until they arrange a ticket and pay the fine. Usually at court the judge waives the 20,000 Baht automatic fine, but applies a smaller fine. I believe the convict will be held until the fine is paid.

On July 25, 2018 at 4:46 PM, colinneil said:

Poor old Eugene must be pi++ed only another 8 months and he would have been eligible for a gold watch.?

What was he doing in the islands of trang? Was he doing it?

in addition he gets banned and deported to a more expensive country after 20 years with likely no where to stay or work.

bad situation. Màn up, man.

• 1 month later...

On 7/26/2018 at 7:38 AM, taipan1949 said:

I am curious about how long exactly are these people held before they are actually put on a plane and deported??

Thailand doesn't always make it any easier for people to get deported. I've heard of cases where detainees from poor countries were stuck behind bars for years because their smartphone with contacts and their money had been confiscated. No smartphone, no-one to call back home for a plane ticket. As simple as that.

The picture shows they are all men,what about the dozens of Asian,African and Russian girls working in go go bars or free lancing all over Nana and Sukhumvit???Are they invisible??Or do they manage to"convince"immigration officers to overlook their cases??

16 minutes ago, loll said:

The picture shows they are all men,what about the dozens of Asian,African and Russian girls working in go go bars or free lancing all over Nana and Sukhumvit???Are they invisible??Or do they manage to"convince"immigration officers to overlook their cases??

I heard they let the good looking ones stay and give the police a BJ and deport the ugly ones Girls I mean 

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 7:50 AM, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, declare a blanket amnesty to all overstayers, get to know who they're, fine then accordingly and renew their visa if they are good people and not a  wanted criminals of fujities of some sort, that way Thailand will show that they're reasonable and forgiving and by doing that they may have the chance to clear the books and start fresh...

Hello ezzra, when you say "not a wanted criminals of fujities of some sort"- I am trying to figure out this word "fujities" . I come to the conculsion it must be the people who live on Mount Fuji in Japan,  am I right?

On 10/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, hansnl said:

In 19 years how much money he would have brought into Thailand?

Probably the same amount he would have if he had the proper paper work.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, THE REVERAND said:

What concerns me most this is both an excellent and logical idea nobody loses face and the governments gets its money owing to them.  What frightens me most it is simple, excellent and logical. Thailand is not known for simplicity and logic. In Australia we say "thai people make anything Easy -Difficult and anything Difficult- Impossible", particularly The Government.

But they've already done it... A few years back they told everyone that "You have up until this date to clear your overstay at the border, and we won't blacklist you". If people were stupid enough not to take advantage of this offer, they've only got themselves to blame.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, Small Joke said:

You're having a laugh.

The 90 day report is obviously pointless if they are overstaying, and laying low.

And a pain in the papaya for the rest of us.

Unfortunately laws are made for all. Some comply others dont. In this life one must take care of his/her own papaya as no one else will do that for you.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:54 AM, darksidedog said:

Ninteen years is quite impressive, It could make a good title for a song, N-n-n-n-n-nineteen!

Seriously though the current immigration rules leaves over-stayers with little option. Where before you could leave and pay 20,000 and it was clear. Now people cant do that. And before someone harps up about all over-stayers being in the wrong, there are many who have legal issues with the court who end up with overstay often of a couple of years, and get found not guilty at the end. They then need a court order or they are in the same boat. Offering a short amnesty window would probably see a large number of people trying to put themselves into a legal situation once more. I am pretty sure there are many, many more out there with stays like this and probably longer too.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:42 AM, cornishcarlos said:

What a legend.... He should be given PR for his dedication to the cause ?

He probably speaks better Thai and knows more about Thai culture than most Thais.

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:

He probably speaks better Thai and knows more about Thai culture than most Thais.

Why? I know many 60 year olds who have been here years and can't even say what month it is in Thai. Always my first question to test someone's language ability.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Why? I know many 60 year olds who have been here years and can't even say what month it is in Thai. 

That's me, never bothered to learn the names of the months (apart from Singha, for some reason that stuck), but I can go shopping, talk food and ask a girl to come back to my room in Thai.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

That's me, never bothered to learn the names of the months (apart from Singha, for some reason that stuck), but I can go shopping, talk food and ask a girl to come back to my room in Thai.

LOL, had to make a sexual reference 

Archived