Miracle as amulet "saves" father and son at "Corner of a 100 Corpses" in north Thailand!

webfact

Miracle as amulet "saves" father and son at "Corner of a 100 Corpses" in north Thailand!

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai media hailed it as a miracle as a father and his three year old boy walked away from a horror crash on the Chiang Mai to Lampang Superhighway.

Chat, 30, was going along Route 11 on his way home with his son from Lamphun to Muang district of Lampang.

His Mazda 2 careened off the road in rain at a bend known locally as the Corner of 100 Corpses.

But they had not become corpses thanks to Chat's 1980 issue "Luang Phor Kasem" amulet.

The thankful dad showed Sanook reporters after he and his son were treated for minor injuries at the scene.

The wreckage of the car was taken to Hang Chat police station.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-26

Looking at the condition of the vehicle, I am willing to bet that both would have walked away from the crash if both had their seatbelts/child seat properly fastened - amulet or not.

"...careened off the road in rain at a bend..." is another way of saying "too fast for the prevailing conditions".

The Thai society is what it is - amulet worshipping and ghost-fearing. But if they think having tons of amulets about is going to save them from harm, and thus giving them the license to act as they please, well they are just asking for serious trouble.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, outsider said:

Looking at the condition of the vehicle, I am willing to bet that both would have walked away from the crash if both had their seatbelts/child seat properly fastened - amulet or not.

"...careened off the road in rain at a bend..." is another way of saying "too fast for the prevailing conditions".

The Thai society is what it is - amulet worshipping and ghost-fearing. But if they think having tons of amulets about is going to save them from harm, and thus giving them the license to act as they please, well they are just asking for serious trouble.

It's a scientific fact I just made up:

Buddha's Law: The total weight of amulets in Baht is inversely proportional to any injuries sustained.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Looking at the photo, it appears two air bags have deployed. I will put my money on them and seatbelts over an amulet every time. Might be a few less deaths on the roads if Thai people did the same.

The Mazda 2 is a crappy little car that only has 2 air bags. Not enough !

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Stop Press: Thai insurance companies to insist on their clients wearing amulets to reduce the cost of fatality claims.

Why not? It's just about as credible as the article.

Hmmm.

This would lead to insurance premiums being lowered or raised based on the quantity or quality of the amulets being worn. 

Which follows that all family members to wear the same amulets or can multiple amulets from different Wats or holy men give you greater discounts on your insurance costs?

There will have to be photographic evidence proving that the amulets brought out for the insurance claim were in fact being worn at the time of the accident.

Will Farangs be allowed to rent amulets at Swampy airport at the same time as they pick up their cars? 

I'd assume that it would probably save time to open insurance selling booths at Wats across the country. Collect your insurance contract and newly minted charms/amulets for a reduced price.

Food for serious thought here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Narratio said:

Hmmm.

This would lead to insurance premiums being lowered or raised based on the quantity or quality of the amulets being worn. 

Which follows that all family members to wear the same amulets or can multiple amulets from different Wats or holy men give you greater discounts on your insurance costs?

There will have to be photographic evidence proving that the amulets brought out for the insurance claim were in fact being worn at the time of the accident.

Will Farangs be allowed to rent amulets at Swampy airport at the same time as they pick up their cars? 

I'd assume that it would probably save time to open insurance selling booths at Wats across the country. Collect your insurance contract and newly minted charms/amulets for a reduced price.

Food for serious thought here...

It could be the start of a new powerful way to control insurance costs.

I'm all for photographic evidence. I had to do that to get an insurance discount for my dashcam. That was through OIA  - Office of the Insurance Assessor so why not Office of the Amulet Assessor - OAA.

They could calculate risk reduction per amulet, hopefully to arrive at an industry standard for various amulets (amuleti?).

If two people in the same car both wear the same amulet each, does that double the protection, thereby halving the accident risk? Would it work on a proportional basis I wonder?

I think this does need some in depth investigation, using crash test dummies. I'm sure there are a lot here that could be used.

A government sponsored campaign: "Keep the accident rate low with an amulet. Don't leave home without it."

For some reason it reminds of L. Ron Hubbard: “You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the bend is notorious and presumably responsible for a hundred deaths, how long will it take Thai police to put up warning notices/traffic calming measures? 

I ask as there is a stretch of road near me in Bang Saray which has been the site of at least twenty five deaths that I know of since moving here; to date the police response has been a man with a camera one afternoon in ten years.

• Like 2