Prayut has backing of many political parties to return as PM, says Sontirat

webfact

By THE NATION 

5b9a81402d745c2995cfec2dbf8dbb63.jpeg

MANY POLITICAL parties have expressed their desire that General Prayut Chan-o-cha return as prime minister after the next election, a government minister linked to a new pro-Prayut party said yesterday.

Commerce Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong said that he had met with politicians on different occasions, including during this week’s Cabinet retreat in Ubon Ratchathani province. He added that he had discussed with them what should be done for the country. 

Sontirat said that in Ubon early this week he met Supol Fong-ngam, a former Pheu Thai Party MP for the northeastern province. 

Supol defected from Pheu Thai and voiced his support for Prime Minister Prayut.

Sontirat said the government needed to talk with and listen to politicians, because politicians are close to the people. Input from politicians allows the government to learn about the needs of people in different areas of the country, he added.

Such information would help the government to determine what should be done during its remaining time in power, said the commerce minister.

“We [the government] have to work with all sides. In fact, many political parties want General Prayut to be prime minister [again].

But what we have to do is to make sure that the different parties have the chance to help push this government’s policies continuously, such as the mega-projects like the Eastern Economic Corridor [EEC],” Sontirat said.

“We want government policies to be implemented without interruptions. We want the country to move forward,” Sontirat said. “One of the problems of our country is lack of continuity in government policies. And that’s a weak point for Thailand.”

He did not confirm his reported connection with Palang Pracharat, a political party in the making whose founders are planning to nominate Prayut as their prime ministerial candidate at the next election.

Sontirat dismissed as a rumour media reports that he was going to become secretary-general of Palang Pracharat.

“When I am ready to accept the position, I will tell the media. I have not made my decision,” he said.

When asked about the progress of the new party in the making, Sontirat said he would talk to the media about the matter “when the time is right”. He added that he would base his decision on the future situation.

Meanwhile, Prayut, who also heads the ruling junta National Council for Peace and Order, yesterday said that the public “should not allow bad people to besiege Government House again”.

The PM did not elaborate, but he was clearly referring to anti-government protesters who often gathered around the government head’s office to press their demands.

Most previous governments over the past decade shared the same experience, with rival yellow-shirt and red-shirt protesters taking turns to rally outside Government House.

Prayut was speaking to a group of people helping clean the perimeter walls of the premises. “We are cleaning up Government House already. Don’t allow bad people to surround it again,” he said.

The premier also said that his actions had no political motives, as he aimed to create benefits for the country as a whole.

“This government has no desire to benefit anyone in particular,” he added. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30350913

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Please name them, "many" he probably means 2 or 3, very vague sentence 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that he had discussed with them what should be done for the country. 

What a sweet man, concerned for the country...

What should you do for the rape victim? What all Thai politicians do, rape some more...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

I have little ( really no) contact with the class which you describe. I do have some contact with what might be described as the rural or provincial working and middle class. It is hard to exaggerate the contempt with which this regime, and by extension the groups which they serve  (geographically and demographically concentrated as you describe ) are held.

If as you suggest, and as is likely, the process (I hesitate to call it an election) results in Prayut and his junta remaining in power, then it may be accepted. Not because of any approval but because of his and his likes proven willingness to unleash military force on his opponents. That is not a recipe for sustainable or effective government in a modern developing country.

Taking the argument further, I for one don't think that he and his junta have the means or ability to actually keep physical control of the country in the face of sustained widespread opposition. If or more likely when that becomes widely understood or even suspected, then his bluff will be called.

So yes, I rather suspect that he will engineer matters so that he will stay as Prime Minister. For the time being. With the support of the Sino Thai Urban (Bangkok) middle class. That will not be anything like enough to keep him there, when his bluff is called.

He is following the 1980 model of non elected PM. Below an extract from PP.

“He sees this as a kind of throwback to the 1980s when Gen Prem Tinsulanonda was an “outsider” prime minister, never elected. Prem “mostly ignored parliament” as it was “an unimportant place” where politicians argued and Prem ruled, with the “locus of political power was in the bureaucracy and the military.”

Personally I think that the model may work in 1980s where the citizens were less informed but not in this era of social media, open communication and seamless information flow. 

• Like 1