Army throws another book at taxis for not using meters

Rimmer

image.png

PATTAYA:-- The army again is threatening to come down hard on Pattaya taxi drivers amid continued complaints about cabbies not using meters and ripping off tourists.

National Council for Peace and Order Banglamung chief Maj. Gen. Popanan Lueng­panuwat, who also heads the Pattaya City Council, met July 19 with police, business leaders and representatives from the Dolphin and Pattaya taxi cooperatives and the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative.

Popanan said the military will again crack down on metered cabs due to a surge in complaints about rip-offs. Of course, supposed “crackdowns” are common, with the army swearing both in August and March of last year that it would enforce the law and force drivers to use meters.

As is always the case with such announcements, they are soon forgotten and things go back to business as usual.

Taxi drivers, for their part, also continue to sing the same old song of woe, with a Pattaya Taxi Cooperative official – who wouldn’t even give his name – justifying the illegal no-meter practice.

He noted that Department of Land Transport regulations require metered cabs to charge 40 baht for the first two kilometers, six baht a kilometer up to ten kilometers, and 10 baht a kilometer for each kilometer after that. Meters also tick off single-baht charges per minute when stalled in traffic.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/army-throws-another-book-taxis-not-using-meters-217291

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-07-27

4 hours ago, johng said:

I guess it won't be a heavy tome like "war and peace"  

maybe it will be the postage stamp sized

"Achievement's of Military coup government volume 19"

Ah yes,You can hear it now,the army "You taxi drivers must use the meter or we willlll (whats this on my desk ? A brown envelope ?)  As I was saying we will be studying this further.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rimmer said:

So, know they throw books at cars??! Yeah, well, I guess that must give the same result as if they had tried to reason with the drivers.

Edited by Get Real

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

So, know they throw books at cars??! Yeah, well, I guess that must give the same result as if they had tried to reason with the drivers.

They ran out of bullets the money for new bullets was misappropriated Oh <deleted> it just went missing!!!!!!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Rimmer said:

metered cabs to charge 40 baht for the first two kilometers, six baht a kilometer up to ten kilometers, and 10 baht a kilometer for each kilometer after that.

A tourist in Bang Saray went with her mother & autistic son to Jomtien.  I reckon 15 kilometres?  I put the legal price at about 120 baht based on the above data.  She was charged 600!

It's nice that the army are showing an interest in this Police Benevolent Scam.  It could be cured in four days - alright , as Thais are slow learners, a week if the authorities had the will.

don't quite understand why the military is addressing taxi drivers

the taxi business is regulated by law and legal stipulations and maybe some local ChonBuri rules

if the military (as representatives of the military junta government) should play a role they should

focus on the law enforcing authorities not doing their job rather than the taxi drivers

round up the police and put them in the military clink - and do some rounds of attitude adjustment

I am split on this one. On the one hand i am all for taxi using taxi meters, and all for police/army to enforce it, BUT what about baht buses? They do not have meters and do private trips where the charge whatever they want.

How are the planning to crack down on them? In fairness and from taxi metered point of view, if they have to turn on the meter, then baht buses also should not be allowed to charge extra

Also, Pattaya being rather small, 40 baht up to 2 km is dirt cheap. Bangkok is a large city, an average trip can take up to 40 mins to an hour, Pattaya on the other hand is 10 -15 mins.

32 minutes ago, BestB said:

How are the planning to crack down on them? In fairness and from taxi metered point of view, if they have to turn on the meter, then baht buses also should not be allowed to charge extra

Undercover police and Thai/Farang trying to hop on obvious taxi baht buses and offering 10 baht for a ride.  If the baht bus driver refuses, suspend his/her license and tow their vehicle on the spot.

Edited by AlexCanada

Just now, AlexCanada said:

Undercover police and Thai/Farang trying to hop on obvious taxi baht buses and offering 10 baht for a ride.  If the baht bus driver refuses, suspend his/her license and tow their vehicle on the spot.

Many baht buses offer private hire and its not illegal. But baht buses do not have or use meters.