Why you can’t beat US beef

rooster59

21 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

They call bull b++++ks prairie oysters back where I'm from, supposed to be good but I never had the b++++ks to try them. lol

They are okay...nothin' special. I had a bull's penis salad in Nan a while back....special occasion, cooked just for me. It was nothin' special either.

20 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Thais dont like Steak.Have you been told that.!. Yet when i go to buy the USDAW expensive stuff i need to camp overnight to get the best cuts, and risk being trampled by a Heard of OLD THAI MOOS.?emoji243.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

EXACTLY!!

IMHO nothing beats an Australian eye fillet, sourced from Gippsland and cooked medium. So tender a fork will cut it.

I've tried American beef in America. Reasonable, but the feedlot process makes it a little too fatty.

14 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

talkin' about Argentina and Germany

years ago wife and I were spending an evening in an Argentinian restaurant in Munich-Germany, 

Small world.

I was possibly in that exact same restaurant when the Falklands war kicked off.

Being a Brit living in Munich in an Argy resto i kept that one a bit quiet....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
On 7/28/2018 at 10:02 AM, colinneil said:
What a load of b++++ks, give me prime UK Angus anyday, nothing better, also Aussie beef takes some beating.

Have you tried Argentina beef? Sounds like you've tried all beef

That is 1 beef i have not tried, so cannot comment on its quality.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, rooster59 said:

First, he said, the meat has to be at room temperature – 15 to 18 degrees Celsius. “Don’t take it straight from the refrigerator and cook it because it cooks differently when it’s cold. At room temperature, it will cook more easily.”

Following his instructions I had to take my steak from the fridge and cook from there.

It was in the fridge to get it to the recommended room temperature.....................:thumbsup:

I don't think it is possible to maintain a 15 - 18C temperature over here on the normal air-cons available.

15 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Best beef comes from cows that are given beer to drink like Kobe/Angus/Wagyu etc.

by all  means dude,

Argentinian steaks are crap, the 4-legged creatures the steaks come from don't drink beer

I’m from the us you can get some really  good steaks.....

but i’ll admit OZ steaks are pretty damn good....... right up at the TOP

Kobi steak are really good but if costly which takes out some of the pleasure

Gotta tell a story that happened to me back in '98 in the US. 

I was on a long hike of the continental divide and going through Wyoming at the time. 
Specifically, in a section called the ''Great Basin" or Red desert.   
IT is very dry and windy.  
We were resupplying in a small town just to the north (Johnson City), and there was a bar there. 
Inside was a sign saying: "Best steaks in the USA!"

I said to the bartender: "I'm from Pennsylvania where the grass is green and lush and the steers eat that all day. Our steaks are pretty good."   "Why would yours be better"

He said: "Try one and see" 
So I did. 
It was the best steak I'd even eaten. 
I said, "Wait a minute, I've been hiking in your dry and windy state and see what your cows are eating. 
Basically brown, dried up sticker bushes, when they can find anything to eat besides tumbleweeds."

He then said that a cow or steer must walk to water to make the fat content marble through it. 
In other words, it' needs to work and get some muscle. "
I couldn't argue his point as the frickin steak was awesome.  

Best ever for me.  

On 7/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, from the home of CC said:

They call bull b++++ks prairie oysters back where I'm from, supposed to be good but I never had the b++++ks to try them. lol

Boil twice at least, 3 times is better,  changing the water each time, Bow River

( BC ) water is the best, slice and fry in salted butter.

Better than you would imagine.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 6:55 PM, RuamRudy said:

This is what I think of when I think of US beef - how representative this is of the mainstream, I don't know, but Eric Schlosser's book 'Fast Food Nation' is pretty damning of the whole US livestock industry.

e2d857580811f2230c689660ede0e155.jpg

Sorry dude, that is a European breed of Bull.

56 minutes ago, assayer said:

Sorry dude, that is a European breed of Bull.

It was once a European breed. I saw such monsters in the states in 67 at a state fair. US beef is banned from many countries due to its toxic amount of antibiotics and growth hormones. The original expose of the dreadful state of the USA meat industry was The Jungle written by Upton Sinclair in 1906, old chap.

Edited by The manic

On 7/29/2018 at 3:34 AM, from the home of CC said:

you have a penchant for cooked genitalia? ? to each their own 

Nah, not really. Years ago I was at the home of a friend in Nan. He was a good friend of the governor of Nan. The Gov. was supposed to show up, along with the dean of Nan University and a few bigwigs. My friend basically cooked the penis salad himself ( with a few instructions from his cook ) He just wanted to act like a big shi, sorry...shot. Actually, I think he wanted mostly to show everyone how great his English was, seeing as how I was the only Falang in the group. ( and he was more than a wee bit peed off when the Gov. didn't show )

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Nah, not really. Years ago I was at the home of a friend in Nan. He was a good friend of the governor of Nan. The Gov. was supposed to show up, along with the dean of Nan University and a few bigwigs. My friend basically cooked the penis salad himself ( with a few instructions from his cook ) He just wanted to act like a big shi, sorry...shot. Actually, I think he wanted mostly to show everyone how great his English was, seeing as how I was the only Falang in the group. ( and he was more than a wee bit peed off when the Gov. didn't show )

a bit of a cock up then

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

a bit of a cock up then

Well, I was up to me nose in bull dick ( mixed in with some fine tasting veggies ) for awhile. My buddy, the asst.dean of the Uni. was sitting beside me. He said, "you DO know what you are eating...yes? I said, "yeh, you gonna have some? It's too much for me, and no one else seems to want any. Maybe if you suck up a bit they will make you DEAN of the school." He said, "I'll give it a pass. AND... they tried several times to make me dean of the Uni. I told them that there was so much corruption at that school, that if I were to become dean half the staff would be gone in a week." ( This happened years and years ago, and it's the first time have mentioned it to anyone, but I guess it's safe to talk about it now...ya think? ) Anyway, it wasn't much of a meeting. People just stood around drinking Chivas Regal and sipping imported wine...trying to look important. I showed my true colours...asked for a beer. Anyway, we met the Gov. the next day after the Songkran parade. He gave a little stone Buddha thunggy, and wished me well with my video at the Uni. So all went well, I guess, Also, the salad didn't make me burp or anything.

As  an American, at least with respect to food, I tend not to be chauvanistic.

The best beef I ever had was Kobe beef in Tokyo, and the bill showed it. But with respect to other beef, it is not just the cow but the aging and the cut.

The Mexicans, like the Argentinians, cut some damn good meat. One of my favs is Asada cut.

I also have a love for cuts like flanks, shanks and briskets.

But if Im going to eat "beef", like a blood dripping carnivore, Im going whole hog. Prime Rib.

If you are in the USA, here is the best in the States

https://redosier.com/ribs-steak/

I had a real tasty steak in Vientiane once, but I had to cut it paper thin to chew it.

On 7/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, billd766 said:

I had some great steaks in both Chile and Venezuela and Chilean wine was far better then French any day. 

Yip, you beat me to the post...  I worked on a couple of projects in Peru and Chile a few years ago.  The food in Peru was questionable (things that should have been cold, were hot, things that should have been cooked and hot, were cold)...  Time off was taken in Chile (Santiago, Valparaiso, Concepcion), wonderful Brazilian BBQ's (go figure).... The Chilean grass fed beef is amazing, second to none...(even Canadian beef)....First ever meal of Chilean beef was roadside vendor beef tongue and boiled potatoes (and course avocado and tomatoes).......................when hungry in Rome!

Edited by CanuckThai

On 8/1/2018 at 2:22 PM, Andrew65 said:

America has the best marketing in the World.

Really? You learn something every day. How come China exports more to the USA than the USA exports to China is your marketing is so good?

1 hour ago, upu2 said:

Really? You learn something every day. How come China exports more to the USA than the USA exports to China is your marketing is so good?

Because China has much cheaper costs. When I worked in Africa even the locals thought much of what was made in China was crap.

Also, many of those exports are to American stores/merchants etc, who then market it to the public.

How much of what is made in China is advertised as the best in the World? Especially food-wise?

America does probably have the best marketing in the World, but I doubt that their beef, or many other things are actually better than in Europe & other places, even though it's very nice stuff. 

I also thought that American chicken was probably great, until it turned out that it's washed in chlorine because it's raised/processed in such unsanitary conditions.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Because China has much cheaper costs. When I worked in Africa even the locals thought much of what was made in China was crap.

Also, many of those exports are to American stores/merchants etc, who then market it to the public.

How much of what is made in China is advertised as the best in the World? Especially food-wise?

America does probably have the best marketing in the World, but I doubt that their beef, or many other things are actually better than in Europe & other places, even though it's very nice stuff. 

I also thought that American chicken was probably great, until it turned out that it's washed in chlorine because it's raised/processed in such unsanitary conditions.

I would agree with you to some extent but I would also ask when has America been a country to immediately think of for high quality goods?

• 6 months later...