"Thou shalt not sell drink" - Pattaya police enforcing 48 hour booze ban

rooster59

"Thou shalt not sell drink" - Pattaya police enforcing 48 hour booze ban

37809387_1991654507522140_6819987236562403328_n.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon Cable TV reported on Facebook that Pattaya station chief Pol Col Apichai Krobpetch and his men swung into determined action at one minute past midnight yesterday to enforce the 48 hour ban on alcohol sales at the resort. 

Pattaya's finest were seen all over Walking Street in South Pattaya and in other bar areas ensuring that the government's orders were being strictly adhered to.

The ban was in force for the Asanha Bucha holiday that is the start of Buddhist Lent. 

Sophon said that alcohol checkpoints were also set up on roads in Pattaya. 

Alcohol will be on sale again from midnight tonight (Saturday). 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-28

37841908_1991654637522127_6836958821307383808_n.jpg

37886018_1991654524188805_3170955954996903936_n.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ronrat said:

Buy it the day before and put in the fridge. Not really all that hard.

only expats now this 

the other 99% tourists  don't know 

but for me it is clear Thai people don't respect their own religion and stop drinking on days like this so what is the point to continue this law because it only the tourist it target 

so my opinion the law needs change from can't sell alcohol to can't drink alcohol or better just abandon the law 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Alcohol will be on sale again from midnight tonight (Saturday). 

Sorry, no alcohol sales after midnight by orders of the nanny.

Will have to wait until 11:00 the following day. 

Alcohol sales permitted from 11:00 - 2:00 and 17:00 - 24:00

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

all respect to Buddha but yesterday I see only Thai people drinking tourists can't buy a beer but Thai people can't just buy the day before and party with alcohol and driving home it is a sick law 

it have to be Thai people can't drink

But it is not a ban on drinking alcohol. Never has been. Maybe you need to get your head around how Buddhism doesn't mandate or dictate how you should behave, it only advises. Where do you think the uniquely Thai admonishment, "Up to you?" started?

It is a ban on buying/serving alcohol. Tough titty if tourists didn't know about it and didn't stock up the day before like thousands of savvy foreigners do every time there's a religious holiday. As for the locals, well, last time I looked, it's THEIR country, THEIR laws and THEIR religion so I tend to let them just get on with it and make my own accommodations for it... like thousands of other savvy foreigners in LOS.

15 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

only expats now this 

the other 99% tourists  don't know 

but for me it is clear Thai people don't respect their own religion and stop drinking on days like this so what is the point to continue this law because it only the tourist it target 

so my opinion the law needs change from can't sell alcohol to can't drink alcohol or better just abandon the law 

And we all know how well received your opinion will be. The locals, especially those of the poorer demographic will easily spend their last penny on a spontaneous purchase of lao khao or a beer. It  a cultural trait that the ruling classes leverage to make it appear they have a real concern for the well being of the peasants. By removing the obvious means to this 'temptation', the religious leaders hope to keep the great unwashed on the straight(er) and narrow(er)... and look good in the process.

But taking your ridiculous proposition to it's conclusion, how exactly would you plan on implementing and enforcing a ban on alcohol consumption? I can see a whole lot of thought went into your suggested solution.

Anyway, who died made you arbiter of religious matters here?

Going by the Thais on the beaches at Banchang Friday and Saturday i thought it was mandatory start 07,00 flat out drinking days!!, just watch out for the carnage when they all leave here tomorrow after 4 days on the binge!!

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But it is not a ban on drinking alcohol. Never has been. Maybe you need to get your head around how Buddhism doesn't mandate or dictate how you should behave, it only advises. Where do you think the uniquely Thai admonishment, "Up to you?" started?

It is a ban on buying/serving alcohol. Tough titty if tourists didn't know about it and didn't stock up the day before like thousands of savvy foreigners do every time there's a religious holiday. As for the locals, well, last time I looked, it's THEIR country, THEIR laws and THEIR religion so I tend to let them just get on with it and make my own accommodations for it... like thousands of other savvy foreigners in LOS.

And we all know how well received your opinion will be. The locals, especially those of the poorer demographic will easily spend their last penny on a spontaneous purchase of lao khao or a beer. It  a cultural trait that the ruling classes leverage to make it appear they have a real concern for the well being of the peasants. By removing the obvious means to this 'temptation', the religious leaders hope to keep the great unwashed on the straight(er) and narrow(er)... and look good in the process.

But taking your ridiculous proposition to it's conclusion, how exactly would you plan on implementing and enforcing a ban on alcohol consumption? I can see a whole lot of thought went into your suggested solution.

Anyway, who died made you arbiter of religious matters here?

OK boss 

On 7/28/2018 at 4:17 PM, lanista said:

First time in nearly twenty years i havent been able to buy some booze from a mom / pop store  in BKK.

Theyre definitely enforcing  the ban.

I wonder what newly arrived thirsty tourists think about it?

Not much.  My family- two grown-up daughters/son arrived for a family holiday.  They were amazed that Buddhist beliefs could be inflicted on non-Buddhists.

10 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Not much.  My family- two grown-up daughters/son arrived for a family holiday.  They were amazed that Buddhist beliefs could be inflicted on non-Buddhists.

Isnt that the same as religious days/holidays in the west ? Buddhists cant buy alcohol on Christmas day etc.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

How can anyone prove that they are non-Buddhists?

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Isnt that the same as religious days/holidays in the west ? Buddhists cant buy alcohol on Christmas day etc.

No.  Here alcohol has a blanket ban even if the restaurant/bar is open. In the West anyone over 18 can buy alcohol if the shop/bar is open.

On 7/28/2018 at 4:17 PM, lanista said:

First time in nearly twenty years i havent been able to buy some booze from a mom / pop store  in BKK.

Theyre definitely enforcing  the ban.

I wonder what newly arrived thirsty tourists think about it?

These restrictions are really silly, and they do seem to be getting tighter.  Not sure why.  More days are subject to bans and the rule about the hours when alcohol can be sold make no sense.  They don't reduce teenage drinking or alcoholism generally, but they do annoy tourists.

Thailand's excise tax system on alcoholic beverages is another example of this silliness. Although they seem to be aimed at protecting local liquor barons, I don't see how they even achieve that goal.  If health is the issue, this is accomplished by imposing a lower excise tax on wine and beer since you want to discourage the drinking of hard alcohol and nudge people in the direction of drinking lower alcohol beer and wine. 

But in Thailand, high octane lao-kao is sold for a pittance while a ridiculously high excise tax is imposed on wine.  Why?  Tourists don't come here for cheap Thai liquor (although some might try a sip for kicks), but even "quality tourists" will often want some wine with their dinner.  They find the high prices annoying, and its just another aspect of Thailand that puts them off.  

I don't get it.  Its not like the local liquor barons are going to lose business because Thai men (and it typically is men, but not always) are going to switch from lao-kao to wine.

Edited by Horace
  • Like 1