What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

6 hours ago, Naam said:

a good question! nearly all our food is cooked at home, our entertainment comes over the internet and our dogs, we don't frequent bars, restaurants, coffee shops and we don't eat street food. i will ask my wife why we spend nearly 3 million Baht per annum. :ermm:

Similar, but I include School fees in that. I only have about 500k unaccounted for! 

Coming back soon, but last when I was in Thailand (6 years now) our monthly expenditures were about 150,000 Baht/Mo not including school fees of about 50,000 Baht/Mo. If no wife or children, I could see myself leaving easily in Thailand on 50,000/Baht/Mo, not including travel of maybe 25,000 Baht/Mo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

School fees are cheap, 3k/semester for high school, 10k/semester for a university.

Unless you're daft enough to waste money on pretend hiso schooling.

You pay those hiso schools not for the education, but for the opportunity for your child to network. Same reason people go to universities like Oxford, Harvard, Stanford, etc...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, manjara said:
15 hours ago, Naam said:

a good question! nearly all our food is cooked at home, our entertainment comes over the internet and our dogs, we don't frequent bars, restaurants, coffee shops and we don't eat street food. i will ask my wife why we spend nearly 3 million Baht per annum. :ermm:

Similar, but I include School fees in that. I only have about 500k unaccounted for!

school fees we paid was long ago in a different century and millenium and they exceeded 500k (Dollars).

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Kids of an old white guy and a young Issan farm girl aren't gonna network with anyone

They will network every day on facebook , instagram, line etc.

There's the education , and money saved. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Kids of an old white guy and a young Issan farm girl aren't gonna network with anyone, no matter how much you spend.

That is utter shat - I know Chinese farm girls that have gone to American Ivy League schools. Anything is possible. Many of my friendships stem from my schooling, and they are to this day and date, the firmest friendships I currently have. You seem to have a very low level of esteem for Thai people. 

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

That is utter shat - I know Chinese farm girls that have gone to American Ivy League schools. Anything is possible. Many of my friendships stem from my schooling, and they are to this day and date, the firmest friendships I currently have. You seem to have a very low level of esteem for Thai people. 

Are you talking about friendships with Chinese farm girls that went to US schools?... or firm friendships from somewhere else?

23 minutes ago, tropo said:

Are you talking about friendships with Chinese farm girls that went to US schools?... or firm friendships from somewhere else?

Both - one of my wife's good friends is a Chinese girl who went to an Ivy League University, and she was no more than a farm girl. Her grades were something special, and she got some help from an Aunty that was living in America. Her Aunty was poor but just about put every cent on this girl to get an education. She made nothing into something and she is well connected and very successful now.

For me, three of my only friends whom I can really count on came from my schooling days and once again, it was via their family members, I got hooked up into a great job at a young age. Implying that an old man and an Issan farm girls child have no potential to 'network' is pure rubbish as everyone, given a chance has potential. Sure, you may not come from an elite family but if the child has brains and does attend a school with a decent education standard, you have the basis for success as the family is trying to give the best chance for the child. I did a lot of volunteering here at poor public schools and I can really see why many children do not succeed. There is not a chance I would put my child (if I ever had one) through that system.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

The ones you speak of are the minority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

Both - one of my wife's good friends is a Chinese girl who went to an Ivy League University, and she was no more than a farm girl. Her grades were something special, and she got some help from an Aunty that was living in America. Her Aunty was poor but just about put every cent on this girl to get an education. She made nothing into something and she is well connected and very successful now.

For me, three of my only friends whom I can really count on came from my schooling days and once again, it was via their family members, I got hooked up into a great job at a young age. Implying that an old man and an Issan farm girls child have no potential to 'network' is pure rubbish as everyone, given a chance has potential. Sure, you may not come from an elite family but if the child has brains and does attend a school with a decent education standard, you have the basis for success as the family is trying to give the best chance for the child. I did a lot of volunteering here at poor public schools and I can really see why many children do not succeed. There is not a chance I would put my child (if I ever had one) through that system.

I agree that there is as much untapped IQ wasting on rice fields as anywhere else, but it's very unlikely that the potential will ever be realised. It's a shame, but that's how it is. You're talking about unusual exceptions. I've also seen a lot of poverty in my travels, and the reason they do not succeed is always poverty. It is impossible to study when you don't have enough food to feed the brain. I think the communities I've witnessed (closely) are much poorer than what you have witnessed (Philippines), so I don't share the same enthusiasm. After all, someone has to work on the farms, so it's not all bad.

Edited by tropo
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what you both say about the 'minority' but it still is possible. I do have and always will have great hope for our children.

Getting this thread back on topic - what is the average cost for good schools in Thailand? I gather it would take a huge chunk of your wallet every year to go to a decent school. I gather if you wanted to get a decent education, taking them back to your home country would need to be on the cards?

• Like 1

biggest expense by far is the wife.  take that out and i'd easily be able to get by on 20,000/monthly.  no honey, save money.  so far i am averaging 2000 baht daily, mostly restaurant meals and clothing.  but the wife always wants some kind of thing for our house or a new ring which blows up my budget.

52 minutes ago, james1995 said:

but the wife always wants some kind of thing for our house or a new ring which blows up my budget.

And if you say no she will look for another man ? 

1 hour ago, balo said:
1 hour ago, james1995 said:

but the wife always wants some kind of thing for our house or a new ring which blows up my budget.

And if you say no she will look for another man ? 

I buy a lot of expensive things for my wife - fashion clothes, shoes, handbags, jewelry, perfume, quality makeup and skin care products are expensive. I don't say no because I appreciate her and like to keep her happy. She doesn't push me to buy it but I'm the one who insists.

5 hours ago, NonthaburiBear said:

giving to much expensive gift means bribing for love. A confident man wouldn't do that.

You need to define "too much". The "too" automatically indicates a problem, just as too little could be a problem for your partner. I buy just the right amount, not too much and not too little.

The part you don't understand is that jewelry, skin care products, quality makeup, nice clothes, good quality bags, shoes etc, although expensive, are not gifts for my wife, just as they aren't for most Western women. I like her to wear nice things and to look after her skin.

What do you give your partner? If you think the above is bribery, I pity any female you're dating.

And about lacking confidence in a relationship. Thanks for your concern, but it's no concern for me. We are rock solid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, james1995 said:

biggest expense by far is the wife.  take that out and i'd easily be able to get by on 20,000/monthly.  no honey, save money.  so far i am averaging 2000 baht daily, mostly restaurant meals and clothing.  but the wife always wants some kind of thing for our house or a new ring which blows up my budget.

How many rings have you bought her? 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read stuff like this.... 

No wonder they think farang are dumb lol

How many rings do you think she could demand from a Thai man? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

How many rings have you bought her? 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read stuff like this.... 

No wonder they think farang are dumb lol

How many rings do you think she could demand from a Thai man? 

I think it's what you just typed out that suggests sentence number 3. Apart from there being no suggestion in James's post that his wife "demanded" anything, there are many Thai men much richer than most expat Farang who wouldn't sweat buying a ring or ten for their wives. If a wife "wants" something, why would you think that's a demand. What female doesn't want nice jewelry? Which planet are you from, where ladies don't appreciate the finer things in life?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I think it's what you just typed out that suggests sentence number 3. Apart from there being no suggestion in James's post that his wife "demanded" anything, there are many Thai men much richer than most expat Farang who wouldn't sweat buying a ring or ten for their wives. If a wife "wants" something, why would you think that's a demand. What female doesn't want nice jewelry? Which planet are you from, where ladies don't appreciate the finer things in life?

If he is very wealthy  , he wouldn't have phrased it with "wife blowing up his budget every month wanting rings and new stuff " 

Have you ever heard a seriously wealthy person complain about their monthly budget?? 

Just learn to say No sometimes gentlemen,you must be from a country where the men are lacking in testicular fortitude.... ?

6 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Neither would a skint one

chai krup, you can give on several ocassion  like her Birthday or wedding anniversary..but buying her too many  gift or on monthly basis or without a cause  that's really matter. theres only 2 cause if she's keep recieveng or asking for it

1. You been caught cheating or lying to her

2. She's a gold digger

Woman doesnt need all that fancy give , yes they want security ( security as you will not cheating on her or you'll be a resposible man for both relationship ) .You want security by giving fancy gift..sure you can until your bank account has dried up. No Money No Honey

Edited by NonthaburiBear
  • Thanks 1

98% of my wifes' friends live in shacks and the other 2% have real money. That 98% have more gold then my wife and 'bag her out' all the time. ''Oh, you with rich farang'' they say, Why don't you have lots of gold!

Both of us are not fools (and I am not calling anyone a fool here - just both of us agree gold is not important). We prefer to hold US$20,000 in shares then to hold gold. That $20,000 gives me a return of around 1 baht of gold a year plus franking credits.

My wife has only a wedding ring, a basic bracelet, and a necklace. I could afford to buy 20 baht of gold for her to wear, or to have LV bags but for the above reason, both of us do not want to show wealth. The only gifts I buy her is a dress every now and then and maybe a bag once or twice a year. 

It is not about what you can give, it is about being happy. My first wife had all the trappings, and I was young and silly 20 years ago. The best of bags and makeup. Nice cars; she had a black heart (Filipino), and nothing is going to stop that, and I hate to say, you tend to be the last one to find out (I was married for about seven years and for six of those years, she had a hidden boyfriend on the side, and once she gained citizenship, she left me for her first Filipino boyfriend, she ever had).

Edited by totally thaied up
spelling and tidying up

5 hours ago, tropo said:

What do you give your partner? If you think the above is bribery, I pity any female you're dating.

And about lacking confidence in a relationship. Thanks for your concern, but it's no concern for me. We are rock solid.

I give her my heart,my gent heart that i will not cheat on her and my time, as she refuse all my gift ( been a year now)  she say she dont need anything from me to the fact i have better income  and many possesion rather than than her. I'm no cheap charlie  as many time i try to buy her designer clothes at Siam Paragon  and always refuse by her. I love beautiful thing's as your'e but doesn't mean i want her to dress or eat like me ( she's more comfortable with cheap clothes at Platinum Plaza,) or eat Street Food rather than fancy restaurant. Dont think low on her, shes studying at Thai university .

i dont want to change her to be like me or dont cheat on me because i invest much money on her by giving her many gift. I dont try to winning her heart

i dont pointed you with being lack of confidence, but most men giving too many material prized means they trying to winning her partner  heart or afraid she will leave him soon . The right women will stay with no matter who you are,if you always fork her out with gifts  chances are youre prolonging the inevitable.

just my 2 cents mate