Pizza

jimmyyy

Bronx pizza is a version of NYC style street "slices" pizza. In my view, it's OK but doesn't really rise to NYC standards. I suppose I need to revise my previous assertion that all can be satisfied here with some place's pizza. IF my dream pizza was NYC street style "slices" pizza, I think Bronx is the best in town for that, and personally I don't think I would be satisfied. But that's not my ideal as I'm not from NYC! 

I don't mean to diss Bronx pizza at all though. I recently tried it for the first time and enjoyed. I will go there again when I want that style of pizza. But for me, definitely not the "best" pizza in town in general. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, streetvibration said:

Hello Everybody,

i am pretty new in here and just found this post.

As i am living on the darkside and loving pizzas the thin crispy style.

So, my favourite was former Tifosi on Khao Talo. It was taken over by an expat with his wife about 4 month ago and now being relocated to Soi Khao Noi.

It's called DEVILICIOUS now, has just reopened and, coming from the railway, it's about 400 meters on the left side(corner unit).

Has a patio and an airconroom also showing live sports and great music all the time.

For me it's the best pizza on darkside when not even in Pattaya.

If your around, just give it a try.

It seems that they are not so good at marketing, I drive there often and haven't seen the shop, maybe the next restaurant failure ?

So crazy that people do not understand that nobody cares that your food is good or not, the only important thing is MARKETING, online and offline.

So please post links and photos ?! And maybe add a better sign in front of the shop...

I love a good thin crust pizza. The best one in Bangkok is at Lemoncello. And I also love a good hummus and I can recommend Simon's Pattaya Hummus Laboratory on Soi Bukaou Night Market, second floor, opposite Tony Gym, as the Best Hummus in Thailand. On Saturday there is a special menu: Beef/Chicken Stew with potatoes. You can see the menu here www.pattayahummus.com/menu/

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, alonsun said:

I love a good thin crust pizza. The best one in Bangkok is at Lemoncello. And I also love a good hummus and I can recommend Simon's Pattaya Hummus Laboratory on Soi Bukaou Night Market, second floor, opposite Tony Gym, as the Best Hummus in Thailand. On Saturday there is a special menu: Beef/Chicken Stew with potatoes. You can see the menu here www.pattayahummus.com/menu/

I liked the hummus menu,

but considering the number of eateries that serve hummus in LoS

it is quite a mouthful to say the best hummus in Thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

The use of such hyperbole only puts undue pressure on the establishment concerned and calls into question your life experience.

Bugger me Tonto... "hyperbole"?... "undue pressure"?... "life experience?"... etc., etc..

This is a thread about pizza.

The kwetiao thread is over there.

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

I liked the hummus menu,

but considering the number of eateries that serve hummus in LoS

it is quite a mouthful to say the best hummus in Thailand

It would be the best also if it was your restaurant ?

It's clear that people will never understand that there is not "best" of anything, it's best for them, not for the whole world.

Even in US so many people still do not understand that Donald is the best president ever for USA ❤️

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Bugger me Tonto... "hyperbole"?... "undue pressure"?... "life experience?"... etc., etc..

This is a thread about pizza.

The kwetiao thread is over there.

Everyone should know that Guay Tiew/Kuai Tiao is two separate words. ?

My spelling of Guay Tiew is the best in the world. ?

4 hours ago, alonsun said:

That first sentence....its Limoncello by the way and their pizza many years ago was one of the best in town.

Its now quite average by Bangkok standards.

I'm still waiting to see if Patts has a decent pizza offering really....edging towards the Naklua spot I think.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:31 AM, sikishrory said:

Yea you should have mentioned what style you like.

Good pizza in Pattaya is not easy to find at least in the styles I like which is a loaded up Aussie style supreme or lot or cappriciosa. Or a good woodfired pizza with a bubbled and crispy crust that also has some doughiness inside the crust and isn't the 3mm thick crispy crunchy ones you find in places like bella italia or grottino.

Anyway working with whats available I pick, in order starting with best at the top:

- Pizza pizza - Had it delivered a bunch of times. very nice pizza. good base and decent amount of topping.

- Fusillo in Naklua does a good pizza. Very nice base similar to mentioned above and also using real flavoursome white mozzarella.

- Grottino and little bella italia in soi 33 naklua. They can both be on my list also but grottinos are a bit better. Bella italias are the thin and crispy but no airiness or softness.

- Pizza art - Never been because it is far away from me but have seen a lot of pictures and the bases look great just like above.

Best pizza (by a long shot) in Thailand is in Bangkok at Pizza Pala Romana at Asok station. Followed by Pizza mania. Pizza mania used to do amazing detroit style pizza but not sure if they still do.They would be 1 and 2 respectively above any pattaya efforts.

One other thing. New York pizza in pattaya. I have had a number of times.. They make a very heavy substantial pizza. Base is hard to describe but it makes my jaw sore eating pizza from there. Also if you want more than 2 toppings it becomes more than 400 baht and increases rapidly and before you know it your 4 or 5 topping pizza is 600 baht or something. I have stopped eating them since I read on tripadvisor someone mentioned cockroaches running all around the pizza area. No thanks.

I take back what I said about Fusillo after my pizza there the other day. Came out with a cracker crust.

Looking at reviews as well it seems a lot of people say pizza pizza has a cracker crust but I never really got it like that. Thin yes, but the edges were not so thin.

I will add to my list though Sunnys on darkside. Had one recently and was surprised at the quality. They will deliver quite far and you can order via their FB "IM Pattaya Food" or just search sunnys.

No one can name the best pizza in Pattaya, as it is too subjective!

But for Italian style pizza made by an Italian chef you can try Toto in Jomtien. Here is a website to check out. It is a small restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/TotoRestaurantPattaya/
I recall they have a crispy cracker thin crust. Not for me. Just down the street is real Neopolitan at Pizza Art. Why settle for less?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I had pizza from several locations, the best was bronx, as i was looking for a new york style pie.  I am sure if you wanted a different style the answer would be different, but for NY style it was really more than i expected.   Thank you all for you ideas i tried a few of them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

I had pizza from several locations, the best was bronx, as i was looking for a new york style pie.  I am sure if you wanted a different style the answer would be different, but for NY style it was really more than i expected.   Thank you all for you ideas i tried a few of them. 

Can you show me what you call new york style pizza ? thanks.

14 minutes ago, gaff said:

Can you show me what you call new york style pizza ? thanks.

NYC, possibly the best food city on the planet, of course you can get any style of pizza. But NYC slices pizza is most associated with the style at slices shops that has a thinner crust and definitely not crispy cracker. See pictures.  The NYC water is an important part of the distinctive flavor in it, just like bagels. BTW, the business here called New York Pizza House originated in UPSTATE New York, not NYC.

Pizza might as well be New York City's official dish. A slice represents a quick lunch for busy New Yorkers, who take it to go, hurriedly eating while walking down the street. It's salvation to visitors who need a quick, inexpensive snack between sightseeing stops. It's often said that the best way to start an argument (a friendly one, of course) between two New Yorkers is to ask where to find the best slice.

https://www.nycgo.com/articles/must-try-pizza-slideshow

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

Glad you found something beyond your expectation. Generally positive reviews about the place.

Edited by KneeDeep

On 8/1/2018 at 10:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Thin crispy cardboard crust pizza is exactly what I don't want!

Yes, pizza tastes are very subjective.

There are "good" pizzas in many different styles.

I think most anyone's pizza taste can be satisfied by some places in Pattaya.

If you haven't found it yet, keep trying. 

If it's like cardboard then it is not proper thin crust.  It's should not be dry and super thin like a cracker.  Only slightly crispy on the outside and thick enough to be softer on the inside.  Unless you like that really thick doughy style.  I prefer authentic italian style thin crust.  It's all about the toppings.  The crust is just the plate to hold it.

Edited by lapd

1 hour ago, lapd said:

If it's like cardboard then it is not proper thin crust.  It's should not be dry and super thin like a cracker.  Only slightly crispy on the outside and thick enough to be softer on the inside.  Unless you like that really thick doughy style.  I prefer authentic italian style thin crust.  It's all about the toppings.  The crust is just the plate to hold it.

No.

The base is equally important.

Also, there is no such thing as one American style or one Italian style crust.

Personally I prefer a tasty sourdough base, such as I posted earlier, which doesn't fall under either of your descriptions.

Looking at Tripadvisor's top ten pizza restaurants in Rome and not one of the bases are the same; https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187791-c31-Rome_Lazio.html

Some may even have a focaccia or ciabatta base.

The main impediment to the best Italian style pizza in Pattaya is the cost and quality of available ingredients.

A 120 gram pack of antipasto, similar to;

IDShot_540x540.jpg.47fab81f69fc6528da01d23d87bfcd56.jpg

costs 420 baht in Big C.

Fresh mozzarella (not processed grated stuff with potato starch et al) an added cost

Tot up the cost of imported ingredients and people would complain about the price. 

So there is usually compromise. Often either less topping or substituted ingredients.

'American style' ingredients are more readily available.

Edited by KneeDeep

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

NYC, possibly the best food city on the planet, of course you can get any style of pizza. But NYC slices pizza is most associated with the style at slices shops that has a thinner crust and definitely not crispy cracker. See pictures.  The NYC water is an important part of the distinctive flavor in it, just like bagels. BTW, the business here called New York Pizza House originated in UPSTATE New York, not NYC.

https://www.nycgo.com/articles/must-try-pizza-slideshow

NY pizza is one of my favourites. I like Bronx, though in Bangkok I really rate Who's Pizza in Phra Khanong, 60 baht or two slices for 100. The Thai guy who runs it lived for a long time and learned his skills in Brooklyn, speaks with a thick NY accent. Excellent pizza, crust is perfect. 

On 8/3/2018 at 2:21 PM, KneeDeep said:

No.

The base is equally important.

Also, there is no such thing as one American style or one Italian style crust.

Personally I prefer a tasty sourdough base, such as I posted earlier, which doesn't fall under either of your descriptions.

Looking at Tripadvisor's top ten pizza restaurants in Rome and not one of the bases are the same; https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187791-c31-Rome_Lazio.html

Some may even have a focaccia or ciabatta base.

The main impediment to the best Italian style pizza in Pattaya is the cost and quality of available ingredients.

A 120 gram pack of antipasto, similar to;

IDShot_540x540.jpg.47fab81f69fc6528da01d23d87bfcd56.jpg

costs 420 baht in Big C.

Fresh mozzarella (not processed grated stuff with potato starch et al) an added cost

Tot up the cost of imported ingredients and people would complain about the price. 

So there is usually compromise. Often either less topping or substituted ingredients.

'American style' ingredients are more readily available.

I guess it's a good thing Pizza Company doesn't buy their ingredients in the shopping aisles in Big C.

They use proper imported cheese and ingredients and they are not too expensive because they do it on a large scale.  That is why you are better off going to a big franchise like that in Thailand rather than a small mom and pop place which is going to have to cut corners like you suggested.  

BTW, NY Pizza and a lot of the other small pizza companies fall into the mom and pop category.  You are better off either going to Pizza Company or an authentic Italian restaurant which uses good imported ingredients for everything else on their menu.  A small business that specializes in pizza delivery in Thailand cannot compete because of the cost of good ingredients on a small scale.

Edited by lapd

10 minutes ago, lapd said:

I guess it's a good thing Pizza Company doesn't buy their ingredients in the shopping aisles in Big C.

They use proper cheese and ingredients because they do it on a large scale.  That is why you are better off going to a big franchise like that in Thailand than a small mom and pop place which is going to have to cut corners like you suggested.  

BTW, NY Pizza and a lot of the other small pizza companies fall into the mom and pop places.  It's either Pizza Company or an authentic Italian restaurant which imports ingredients for everything on their menu.

Erm....I'm going to have to disagree with you there too. 

Proper cheese and ingredients? Now I know that you are just taking the mickey.

I doubt if one of these has ever been spotted in one of their kitchens;

original.thumb.jpg.a88729a176d0ccd5973dbe51dd0cf546.jpg

Likely processed cheese all the way. Some people from the USA love that sort of thing.

Somewhere like Hops is more likely to have authentic ingredients.

6 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Erm....I'm going to have to disagree with you there too. 

Proper cheese and ingredients? Now I know that you are just taking the mickey.

I doubt if one of these has ever been spotted in one of their kitchens;

original.thumb.jpg.a88729a176d0ccd5973dbe51dd0cf546.jpg

Likely processed cheese all the way. Some people from the USA love that sort of thing.

Somewhere like Hops is more likely to have authentic ingredients.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make other than disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing.

• Thanks 1

The best pizza i ever had was in the ‘Bella Napoli’ in Sicily
Napoli is the home of the pizza
Always a Margarita( cheese and tomato)
Theres a good Thai guy down the road can make a mean pizza
Its not quite up to Sicilian standards,but its good enough for me [emoji106] Image1533521581.268667.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app