Gotcha! Phuket’s crocodile caught at Layan Beach

rooster59

Gotcha! Phuket’s crocodile caught at Layan Beach

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

37946315_10212429550839384_762769312548126720_n.jpg

Phuket’s elusive crocodile has finally been caught at Layan Beach. The ‘Yanui’ crocodile (named by local Phuket reporters after the original beach it was sighted) has been caught at Layan Beach early today after more than ten days of search operations, sightings, drone photos and lots of people pointing out to sea.

The crocodile was eventually caught by the Surat Thani-based crocodile catching team and local fishermen at 4am with a fishing net near Koh Kata off Layan Beach. The crocodile is now being taken to the Phuket Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre in Pa Khlok.

Last year during August ‘Laypang’, a much larger crocodile, was caught at an inland lake in the same area after being sighted swimming offshore.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/gotcha-phukets-crocodile-caught-at-layan-beach

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-29

31 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

This could be the one or it could be one they got from a farm just to get this over with and get back to business as usual.

Oh yes! Of course, we can not forget about the conspiracy theory´s.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

They have caught 'a' crocodile off a Phuket beach.  I'm not convinced it was the 'only' crocodile.  I certainly will never swim in a lake at a golf course to retrieve my hat again!

It certainly made golfing in Florida more interesting. One eye on the water whilst trying to putt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Big news catching an animal in its natural habitat. Yawn.

I agree that by its self is not big news, but the issue has being in the news for the past couple of weeks as the crocodile appeared at various beachside locations causing swimming restrictions and other disruptions. I am sure many would be glad to hear that it was caught.    

6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Reptiles: I was raised with the lesson, "If there is one, there is two (or three or more)."

Just be calm. No need to worry. I can assure you that there are more. Just not in the same place.

6 hours ago, johnsnapo said:

No can we go swimming please ?

Yes!

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

There can be only one, as the Highlander once said "Media, media and media"

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Round up the regular suspects; convict one of them.

I know that there are many snakes and lizards in prison, but now you want to add crocodiles too. If you throw also throw in a big scumbag, he could catch them all.

Really? Are you going to convict a crocodile? Yeah, ok! At least you have one thing going for you. You don´t separate families in the same places like Mr. Trump do.

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Just be calm. No need to worry. I can assure you that there are more. Just not in the same place.

Yes!

There can be only one, as the Highlander once said "Media, media and media"

I know that there are many snakes and lizards in prison, but now you want to add crocodiles too. If you throw also throw in a big scumbag, he could catch them all.

Really? Are you going to convict a crocodile? Yeah, ok! At least you have one thing going for you. You don´t separate families in the same places like Mr. Trump do.

I was playing the satirist by suggesting an age-old police tactic when confronted with a crime in their jurisdiction. Sorry you missed it.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I was playing the satirist by suggesting an age-old police tactic when confronted with a crime in their jurisdiction. Sorry you missed it.

Oh, sorry! My mistake. I just though that was regarding the usual animals that break the law. :wink:

20 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

It appears it's natural habitat was a concrete pen.

"Officials say the presence of lichen on its skin suggests it had been raised in a pen built of moist cement blocks." - Thaiger

When it previously swam towards a swimmer it was probably not attacking, but hoping to have a chicken thrown to it.

Whom ever released it into the wild, eliciting panic among some, should themselves be incarcerated.

They are testing DNA to determine it's species.