Is it possible to be ripped off in a 711

georgegeorgia

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If you think about it, its only the change they can mess around with, everything is scanned in at 7/11. If you put 4 beers on the counter and they scan a couple of them twice, and make it 6 beers, that extra money needs to be in the till at the end of shift.

You are right. But 2 beers can go home with the cashier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maximillian said:

You are right. But 2 beers can go home with the cashier.

There as many cameras on the liquor cabinet as on the tills.

The entire staff and incoming shift would all have to been in on the two beer scam.

Unlikely.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 1

Well she would get those items you paid for but didnt get . She can also reimburse those items in cashier and get money back or sell whatever you paid for. She can also take your stamps, that shows on the cashier how many you got.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

There as many cameras on the liquor cabinet as on the tills.

The entire staff and incoming shift would all have to been in on the two beer scam.

Unlikely.

That and others reported here.

It is because you have common knowledge and sense.

Some of these outrageous reports are just that-outrageous!

Where are the police reports/investigations?  Oh,oh, I forgot, the cops must be in on it also....

Just ridiculous accusations of theft, burglary, fraud and conspiracy.

Terrible how some resort to this type of BS.

Must be because they truly hate this place and the people.

Sad.......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whitemouse said:

What would you do if I lifted your wallet on Beach Rd with exactly 100 baht in it, nothing else, just a 100 baht note, no biggy?

I wonder how you'd react.  What the punishment of my action would be in this country. I predict that if I was busted, and this was posted in Pattaya News section most people would advocate for jail time and deportation. 

This is theft, be 100 baht  or 10 baht. Remember topics about the baht bus fees, and if it is ok to submit to demands of 20 baht, even knowing the correct fare is 10, it isn't the amount, it's how you can live with yourself knowing that you are nothing but a mark, that you can be treated how some scumbag feels like.

Calm down man. 

If someone feels the need to take my hundred baht let them. Money is just not that important to me. 

I don't lock my house. If someone feels the need to take my sofa or tv. Let them. I am always looking for a reason to buy a new one. It's just stuff. It doesn't mean anything. I would hate to see another human being go to prison because of stealing from me. If they need it, let them have it. 

19 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A mom and pop store not a 7-11. I’m bad at arithmetic but I can even figure figure change of a 38 baht can of Chang from a Hundred baht note.
I thought Asian kids were good at maths!

Ah, I see, arithmetic isn't the only thing you're bad at!  You know that this is a thread about 7-11s?

Edited by Just Weird

On 7/30/2018 at 7:09 PM, Catkiwi said:

I agree. I personnaly know several 7/11 staff and they all have university degrees. Not that - that is a pre requiiste for employment it is just a fact that they can't get a job any where else for which ever reason.

Degrees from some of the unis are not worth much. Not good schools.

• Like 1

Having a degree is not a required to work at 7-11.

If you want to be management, it is required.

They do all attend a training school.

I do not see them as stupid, just people trying to do a job that pays little. 

Yes, they make mistakes like anyone else.

Funny this would happen today.

Just got back to my room.

I went out to get a few things from 7-11.  On the corner of Soi 11 and Second road.

Cashier scanned all items and put them in a bag. I paid and she started to ring up the next customer.  I checked my receipt and saw she did not charge me for my large 43b water.  I told her about the error and she apologized several times before ringing it up.

So, it works both ways folks.  They can make mistakes either way. They are just human beings not mostly criminals as some sadly suspect.

I took the canal boat earlier..11 going, and 9 coming back....about ready to call it a day, and was charged 40 at 711 for Three Horse Tea, which is marked at 39..I had to show them...then the manager was kind of a prick about it..and of course it is 35 at the new Tesco.  <deleted>...usually about 10 people on the clock in there....oh, but Tiger cases..600 at Tesco..something to think about...can always use the Leo as a sub for vinaigrette dressing.

• Confused 1

On 7/31/2018 at 9:28 AM, andygrr said:

As for 7/11 staff I have seen that some items are discounted if you buy 2 or more 

it shows up initially at the original price on the till. I have seen staff charging / asking for this amount . Then after you pay they press final total

There was a 7-11 in sukhumvit soi 6 in bkk used to do this every time, also on the one off short term promotional discounts... this was regardless of who was working the till. Very easy to pull on farang when the promotion is partly written in Thai, I bet the large numbers of Chinese are getting completely stiffed. 

On 7/31/2018 at 10:13 AM, robblok said:

For someone who has been here longer it is almost impossible to confuse a 100 and a 1000 (maybe if drunk). I don't think the color is that similar, size is different too.

Yes, probably easier to confuse a 20 with 1000 than it is a 100, due to the pale colour. The biggest risk is confusing a 50 with a 500 - in bar lighting especially these can look very similar. 

On 7/31/2018 at 10:39 AM, Peterw42 said:

There is only 2 ways they can scam you, ask for more money than the items scanned (and displayed on screen), or give less change. 

If they scan less than what you put on the counter, the total is less and you walk out with free goods. If they scan more than you put on the counter, the total will be more and the amount will match what was scanned. You paid for goods you didnt get but the cashier didnt make any money from the extra goods scanned.

Most common is to scan correctly and then shortchange. When challenged there's always an immediate apology and the money is quickly returned, blaming it on human error. Not singling out 7-11 on this, as it's tried on in many places. 

36 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

In 20 years of visits I caught one Bangkok 7-11 clerk (male) shorting me 5 baht on a small purchase. I mentioned it and let him keep it. He just smiled like "Yeah, you got me but so what?"

you might want to consider a new accountant...I catch them more like once per week.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

In 20 years of visits I caught one Bangkok 7-11 clerk (male) shorting me 5 baht on a small purchase. I mentioned it and let him keep it. He just smiled like "Yeah, you got me but so what?"

You caught someone stealing and let them keep it lol

No wonder they think farangs are daft

Never been scammed in 7/11 , after 7 years.   

Sometimes there's new staff who have a problem to count the coins , then I need to help them since I always check my change . Mistakes happens. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 8:53 AM, baansgr said:

Yes you can and I have, by a girl that actually knew my kids and ex wife.....had about 12 items but I always mentally count. She overcharged me by about 150 Baht and didnt offer receipt...straight away I asked for receipt...ooops she had to put everything through the register again and the outcome was then the correct price with a receipt. 7/11 staff are mostly uneducated poor people so certainly candidates for swindling.

Nonsense. They are usually educated, numerate and often multi lingual. Better than a lot of their Farang customers, many of whom are dependant on their Thai wives and thus are looked down on by Thais in the local community. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 4:32 AM, The manic said:

Nonsense. They are usually educated, numerate and often multi lingual. Better than a lot of their Farang customers, many of whom are dependant on their Thai wives and thus are looked down on by Thais in the local community. 

You are having a larf...

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 5:39 AM, lamyai3 said:

There was a 7-11 in sukhumvit soi 6 in bkk used to do this every time, also on the one off short term promotional discounts... this was regardless of who was working the till. Very easy to pull on farang when the promotion is partly written in Thai, I bet the large numbers of Chinese are getting completely stiffed. 

I'm not sure on this, but there must be a button on the touch screen that they press to apply the discounts and promos.

Like you I purchased an item yesterday in 7/11 and my wife had already seen the promo on the fridge saying  3 baht off each if you buy two.

But it wasn't on the bottom line, or the screen value, or the docket.

And when he (She)? rang it up, they say "sorry too late now."

Only six baht..I know. 

But one has to wonder?