"Gardening loving Brit" electrocuted while mowing the lawn in Khon Kaen

webfact

"Gardening loving Brit" electrocuted while mowing the lawn in Khon Kaen

br.jpg

Source: Sanook

A British pensioner was electrocuted while trying to mow his back lawn at his house in Chumpae, Khon Kaen yesterday.

Seventy six year old Anthony Stratton was found dressed only in white shorts by an electric mower.

The body was found by his wife Saengdao, 41, who had been out for the day.

She returned from her shop at 5pm and called the cops.

The police arrived at house number 160 in Moo 14 of Ban Non Samran to find a large number of neighbors discussing what had happened.

The mower was connected to an extension cord from the mains in the house. There was signs of damage to the extension cord plug.

There were signs of swelling on the victim's face and a burn mark on his left thumb. There were no signs of a struggle.

Police suspect that Mr Stratton was having problems starting his mower and went to examine the connection. They said he might have forgotten that it was plugged in at the mains. They believe he was electrocuted.

Saengdao said they had lived together at the house for ten years. In tears she described her husband as a hard working man who loved gardening.

He was home alone at the time.

The body was sent for autopsy to hospital in Khon Kaen.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-02
  • Sad 5

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed it is, you may know it as a GFCI, ELCB or one of a myriad of other acronyms dependent upon where in the world you originate. Generally in Thailand it's known as a "Safe-T-Cut" which is actually a brand name.

Do you have one? Look in your electrical panel for a breaker with a "Test" button, no test button = no RCD. Go and look now!

If you don't have one I strongly recommend that you get one installed, all the big box stores sell them and most will install for you too. It may well save your life as it probably would this poor chap.

I wouldnt rely on the "big  stores"  staff whomever  they employ, I once had Tescos finest come and wire up my aircon, two wires only   purple and green and Green wasnt the earth..............told me it didnt need  the earth. 

Got  rid ,never had anyone else in to do electrics anywhere at my place, at least I know whats whats and where and how its  all connected, right size cables breakers and colours in sheathing some undeground

3 minutes ago, kannot said:

two wires only   purple and green and Green wasnt the earth..............told me it didnt need  the earth. 

I know exactly what you mean, but many of us have no real choice but to use "The Professionals" (cue Bodie and Doyle).

We had all our aircons installed by the HomePro chaps, very clean job, correct cable, earthed. This was HomePro Rangsit. YMMV ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed it is, you may know it as a GFCI, ELCB or one of a myriad of other acronyms dependent upon where in the world you originate. Generally in Thailand it's known as a "Safe-T-Cut" which is actually a brand name.

Do you have one? Look in your electrical panel for a breaker with a "Test" button, no test button = no RCD. Go and look now!

If you don't have one I strongly recommend that you get one installed, all the big box stores sell them and most will install for you too. It may well save your life as it probably would this poor chap.

I am just about to install a new consumer unit, probably Siemens or ABB and will be using a RCD with the CB’s.

Are you recommending the Safe T cut simply because they are easier to retrofit as it where, when there is no spare position on the consumer unit, or are there other advantages to the Safe T cut?

In my case the wiring is all new, all outlets 3 pin earthed and installed in a wooden construction.

PS you do very well to keep on about Electrical safety devices

you have my fullest support that’s for sure 

1 minute ago, kannot said:

Global House sell  much smaller "add on"  ones now as a cheaper way to do it albeit  shutting down the whole  supply not just a circuit, All u have to do is wire the incoming 2  cables into it  and then onto your main box.

Yes, I know the little RCBOs, excellent value and ideal for protecting your water heater. BUT, they are not rated for use as a main breaker (hence the 10mm2 max cable)

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I know exactly what you mean, but many of us have no real choice but to use "The Professionals" (cue Bodie and Doyle).

We had all our aircons installed by the HomePro chaps, very clean job, correct cable, earthed. This was HomePro Rangsit. YMMV ?

Yep thats half the problem "YMMV"............ this  type is the  breaker they now sell although Its  not a Crabtree its  similar type

53163891.jpg

1 minute ago, I wonder said:

Are you recommending the Safe T cut simply because they are easier to retrofit as it where, when there is no spare position on the consumer unit, or are there other advantages to the Safe T cut?

Partly. They are definitely an easy retrofit and when talking to a Thai sparks he will (almost) certainly understand "Safe-T-Cut".

For a new install using RCDs in your consumer unit / breaker box is a neater and cheaper method.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes, I know the little RCBOs, excellent value and ideal for protecting your water heater. BUT, they are not rated for use as a main breaker (hence the 10mm2 max cable)

They go up to 40amps max, 40-30-20 marked on the boxes, depends I guess on  how  much you need, I only have 1  aircon, 1  water heater ( built  in trip on that) Lights and sockets, doubt  i draw much at all, house only 50m2

Yes a cut-out would of course be great! Has anybody actually seen the cabling that is running down streets to most places?? You are lucky to walk down any street, without having to dodge a live wire hanging down. I have also seen lots of wiring that has been installed by a professional Thai Electrician!!! Ha!! This poor guy did not have a chance. Just recently a father and son were electrocuted while working on the pool filter system. One man died peeing on a lamp post. I have been in showers, where I could feel small current running. Rubber gloves, rubber boots and a grounding strap attached to your foot at all times, is the only solution. Good luck.

Sad to be thrown out of a supposedly happy life by such an accident.

I drive through this neighborhood often.

Not sure but possible that I have seen him on some occasion.

Maybe I will hear more about him.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Partly. They are definitely an easy retrofit and when talking to a Thai sparks he will (almost) certainly understand "Safe-T-Cut".

For a new install using RCDs in your consumer unit / breaker box is a neater and cheaper method.

Thanks Crossy.....

I do not wish to change this thread . But I see lots of guys here have good knowledge about these kind of things .Maybe some one can answer a question I have  and explain how to fix.

My hotwater heater in the shower was well grounded,with a thick copper wire. Some how this got cut on the outside wall. I do not know how to fix other than replace.

You guys are way more knowledgeable than me I have no idea what a RCBO or YMMV is or how to put it in. But I really like the idea  Do you think I could get something like that installed by a shop I buy it at?

By the way what is RCBO and YMMV?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

what is the life of cycle expectation of these units?     I had one tripping almost on a daily pattern (an undergound cabling conduit to the garden outlets was full of water) 

The Eleco' said these things wear out quickly from 'cycling, such as what ours was experiencing over time