Permitted to stay for 29 days instead of 30

I arrived today (Aug 2) at Suvarnabhumi airport from Europe and I was planning to stay for 30 days on visa exemption. I just noticed that I have got permitted to stay until Aug 30 instead of Aug 31. I have a return flight in the evening of Aug 31 so I wonder how I can fix this.

You got the correct number of days. The date you enter the country is day one of the 30 days.

You can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

Or if leaving before midnight on the 31st you could depart from either airport in Bangkok and not pay a 500 baht fine for one day of overstay. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tifino said:

this

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php

seems to show you can extend it, once.

That is not a official website that has a lot of misleading and incorrect info on it.

From the bottom of the page you posted a link for. "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy.' "

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not a official website that has a lot of misleading and incorrect info on it.

From the bottom of the page you posted a link for. "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy.' "

eeew!... a Claytons page

saved by the fineprint!

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You got the correct number of days.

I hesitate to challenge you, but he says arrived today (August 2nd) and got a stamp until August 30.

That gives 29 days (incl Aug 2nd and Aug 30)?

To the OP : does your entry stamp really show August 2nd as entry date? What time did you go through the checkpoint?

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You got the correct number of days. The date you enter the country is day one of the 30 days.

You can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

Or if leaving before midnight on the 31st you could depart from either airport in Bangkok and not pay a 500 baht fine for one day of overstay. 

Thanks for your reply. Actually I do have a flight before midnight of the 31st but I am more concerned about overstaying than 500 baht fine. As this was a mistake by the IO I was thinking maybe there is  a way to fix this at the immigration without needing to apply for extension.

Edited by marc69
typo

1 hour ago, marc69 said:

I was thinking maybe there is  a way to fix this at the immigration without needing to apply for extension.

Basically the same effort: visit your nearest/responsible immigration office.

Ask it to be corrected.

Be aware that a visit to Chaeng Wattana immigration (Bangkok) is time consuming.

55 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Be aware that a visit to Chaeng Wattana immigration (Bangkok) is time consuming.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am aware of that. Do you know if there is any other immigration office closer to lower Sukhumvit which can correct the date?

9 minutes ago, marc69 said:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am aware of that. Do you know if there is any other immigration office closer to lower Sukhumvit which can correct the date?

Unfortunately not, only Chaeng Wattana.

18 hours ago, tifino said:

EDIT:   since been pointed out this page is not Official from the Embassy!

Which embassy did you think it would be? There are no Thai embassies in Thailand and embassies have nothing to do with visa exempt entries or extensions of stay.

6 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Which embassy did you think it would be? There are no Thai embassies in Thailand and embassies have nothing to do with visa exempt entries or extensions of stay.

I didn't say it had to be IN thailand; and that was obvious as the link I had on was a blahblah.com not .th  

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I hesitate to challenge you, but he says arrived today (August 2nd) and got a stamp until August 30.

To the OP : does your entry stamp really show August 2nd as entry date? What time did you go through the checkpoint?

The Thais always, incorrectly, count the day, or month, you receive a time of duration as the day or month you received the approval as day or month 1. I had a six month contract signed sometime in early June. In early November I was advised by the company that my 6 months had expired. I had to sit down with a very stubborn financial officer and explain that my contract did not expire until mid December. She refused to accept my argument so I pointed out that from mid June to mid July was 1 month, she agreed. I went through each month until I got to November and we were up to the 5th month and stopped. She went very red in the face, said nothing and I was not contacted by her until December, not by her but one of her assistants.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:01 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Agreed. Unusual for UJ to make a mistake. Shows we are all human lol

7 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I was  thinking I had 1 month not 30 days. They fined me me for the extra day. So not automatic you don't have to pay for 1 day overstay.

That depends upon where you leave the country. They charge for the one day of overstay at border crossings and airports other than the 2 in Bangkok.

The Thai consulate in Penang recently started a policy where they will not issue a tourist visa to people who have an overstay stamp in their passport. There is no telling when/if other consulates will start following this policy.

The best advice to anyone is do not overstay, it can and may someday come back to bite you.

• 2 weeks later...